VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 120 of 183, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't think SDL supported Metal yet? I see a fork on github and posts about implementing metal and vulkan support awhile back though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 121 of 183, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

With SDL 2.0.8 a 2D Metal function was added https://discourse.libsdl.org/t/sdl-2-0-8-released/23957 for MacOS, iOS and tvOS (edit, still proud of these release notes, as there are two changes that I instigated and partly added patches for it 😀 (SDL_HINT_IOS_HIDE_HOME_INDICATOR & SDL_HINT_RETURN_KEY_HIDES_IME))

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 122 of 183, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! That's what I get for expecting their site to get updated. Gotta dig through those release notes. heh

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 123 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, there's now a Metal implementation of SDL_Renderer. MoltenVK can be used for Vulkan, and ANGLE for OpenGL ES.

As for MinGW, well, it shall be possible to build DOSBox with Mingw-w64, as of the last SVN revision. If not, it's probably a matter of not more than a few simple fixes (this was done beforehand).

Reply 124 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, so the recent update has made me go over the patch and make just a few simple clean-ups. Nothing major.

However, I've kinda reproduced an old problem with the mouse, at least on Ubuntu 14.04 with the Unity shell. While it's not the first time I observe it, I now have a way to reproduce this.
Since it wasn't the only issue I had, I'll give out a list. The issue I've referred to above is about pressing on an "Alt" key after moving an imaginary "captured" cursor to any of the screen's edge. (It isn't exactly captured by the way of warping the cursor, but hopefully the idea is clear.)

*** All of the behaviors listed below have been observed with Ubuntu 14.04, using the Unity shell. ***

SDL 1.2 and 2.0:
- I had to disable the ability to show the HUD upon pressing on an Alt key. This seemed to cause some problems. It was probably an issue with SDL 1.2 apps, and I'm quite sure it's also the case with SDL 2.0 apps.

SDL 1.2:
- Keyboard input is fully locked in full-screens: You can't leave the window with shortcuts like Alt+Tab, but almost all shortcuts shall be usable in the games.
- As of Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity, you simply *can't* use any of the Alt keys in a non-fullscreen SDL 1.2 window, unless the mouse cursor is captured. (This used to be OK with older versions of Ubuntu.)

SDL 2.0:
- Keyboard input isn't entirely locked anymore: Keyboard shortcuts like Alt+Tab are usable. However, it's possible a few more might be used, even when not desired or even expected...
- Can't use Ctrl+Alt+<Arrow_Keys>, which are reserved for workspace switching, *even if there's only one workspace*. You basically need to disable these shortcuts keys (might be important for Keen 4-6).
- Can't use Alt+Space, since it's reserved for showing the window menu, and seemingly also has an effect on games. You may have to disable this as well (say for Jazz Jackrabbit).
- A complicated case DETERMINISTICALLY REPRODUCED ONLY RECENTLY: If you enter fullscreen with the mouse "captured" using SDL_SetRelativeMouseMode (actually hidden and in a "relative mouse motion" mode of sorts), then move the (inivisible) mouse cursor to any of the screen's edges and FINALLY toggle full-screen off, there are chances there'll be a VISIBLE mouse cursor which ***cannot leave the window's boundaries***.

Regarding the last case (with some details figured out just yesterday), this is possibly related to an unexpected window focus change. Basically, when you press on "Alt", an unexpected X11 event of type "LeaveNotify" may be received, effectively leading to the mouse cursor *mistakenly* being *unlocked*.
When fullscreen is finally toggled off, a call to SDL_SetRelativeMouseMode shall unlock the mouse and show the cursor. However, apparently, it's assumed the cursor is already unlocked, and so...it remains locked (albeit visible) in the non-fullscreen window.

Note that unfortunately, I couldn't easily reproduce this in a separate, smaller test app. Well, I technically could, it just wasn't reproduced as often.

As hinted above, I've added an updated patch. Following is a summary of changes, at least of what I haven't missed:

- Removed useless '#include "SDL_version.h"' statements from cdrom-related
sources, originally added by me before the introduction of C_PHYSICAL_CDROM_MOUNT.
- cdrom.h: Added a comment about the inclusion of compat_SDL_cdrom.h, even
if C_PHYSICAL_CDROM_MOUNT is not defined at all, due
to MSF_TO_FRAMES and FRAMES_TO_MSF (and CD_FPS).
- dos_programs.cpp: Moved a relocated "int error = 0;" defintiion to at
a location closer to the original.
- dosbox.cpp: "cycles" is now *not* set to "max" by default on Android
(and also not on other platforms, as usual).
- sdl_mapper.cpp: Removed commented out MAXBUTTON definition.
- Made sure comments related to SDL 1.2 specific code pieces are either
inside the relevant #if...#endif blocks, or right after any
of the #if and #endif statement.
- sdl_mapper.cpp: Now comparing a joystick event's "event->jbutton.which"
field to a given stick for all SDL versions, instead of "event->button.which".
- Misc. E_Exit additions/changes.
- sdlmain.cpp, sdl struct: Changed sdl.update_window to sdl.resizing_window
(now storing the exact opposite values); Removed unused window_desired_width
and window_desired_height fields; Removed commented out sdl.desktop.bpp
field for good (also unused in DOSBox from SVN).
- Removed misc. comments for SDL_SetWindowTitle calls.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_GetBestMode: Misc. comments removal.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_GetBestMode: Shared code for SCREEN_OPENGL and SCREEN_TEXTURE.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_SetSDLWindowMode: Removed a few commented out lines,
made sure sdl.window is *not* dereferenced if SDL_CreateWindow failed.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_SetSize: Removed commented out "opengles" renderer driver checks.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_UpdateSDLCaptureState: Now unmodified from the original and
not compiled at all if SDL 2.0 is used. GFX_RestoreMode is also not compiled
in a similar manner.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_EndUpdate: Removed commented out checked call
to SDL_UpdateWindowSurfaceRects.
- sdlmain.cpp:GUI_StartUp: sdl.desktop.sdl2pixelFormat now gets the pixel
format from the window surface, rather than the window itself.
- sdlmain.cpp:GFX_Events: Reverted a useless rename of HandleVideoResize to
GFX_HandleVideoResize; It's a commented out line in an SDL 1.2 specific block.
- sdlmain.cpp:Config_Add_SDL: Removed a few useless words from description
of "vsync" setting (renamed from "fulldouble" in the case of SDL 1.2);
Added "metal" SDL renderer driver for OS X.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_sdl2_20180611.diff
    File size
    478.41 KiB
    Downloads
    158 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 125 of 183, by gm_matthew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With SDL 2.0.6 onwards, the audio doesn't work when running on Windows. This is because newer versions of SDL use WASAPI by default.

DOSBox uses signed 16-bit samples for mixing, which DirectSound and XAudio2 were fine with, but WASAPI insists on using 32-bit floating point samples. DOSBox does not notice the demand for a different format and continues to use signed 16-bit samples, which don't work.

I managed to get the audio working again by forcing SDL to transparently convert the samples. Here's the diff:

diff -ur dosbox/src/hardware/mixer.cpp dosbox2/src/hardware/mixer.cpp
--- dosbox/src/hardware/mixer.cpp 2018-05-29 13:58:58 +0100
+++ dosbox2/src/hardware/mixer.cpp 2018-07-01 18:29:27 +0100
@@ -682,7 +685,6 @@

/* Start the Mixer using SDL Sound at 22 khz */
SDL_AudioSpec spec;
- SDL_AudioSpec obtained;

spec.freq=mixer.freq;
spec.format=AUDIO_S16SYS;
@@ -696,16 +698,16 @@
LOG_MSG("MIXER: No Sound Mode Selected.");
mixer.tick_add=calc_tickadd(mixer.freq);
TIMER_AddTickHandler(MIXER_Mix_NoSound);
- } else if (SDL_OpenAudio(&spec, &obtained) <0 ) {
+ } else if (SDL_OpenAudio(&spec, NULL) <0 ) {
mixer.nosound = true;
LOG_MSG("MIXER: Can't open audio: %s , running in nosound mode.",SDL_GetError());
TIMER_AddTickHandler(MIXER_Mix_NoSound);
} else {
- if((mixer.freq != obtained.freq) || (mixer.blocksize != obtained.samples))
- LOG_MSG("MIXER: Got different values from SDL: freq %d, blocksize %d",obtained.freq,obtained.samples);
- mixer.freq=obtained.freq;
- mixer.blocksize=obtained.samples;
+ if((mixer.freq != spec.freq) || (mixer.blocksize != spec.samples))
+ LOG_MSG("MIXER: Got different values from SDL: freq %d, blocksize %d",spec.freq,spec.samples);
+ mixer.freq=spec.freq;
+ mixer.blocksize=spec.samples;
TIMER_AddTickHandler(MIXER_Mix);
SDL_PauseAudio(0);

Attachments

• Filename
    fixaudio.diff
    File size
    1.38 KiB
    Downloads
    143 downloads
    File license

Reply 126 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is interesting, thanks for the report.

Personally, I think that it's better to call SDL2's SDL_OpenAudioDevice function instead, with the SDL_AUDIO_ALLOW_FREQUENCY_CHANGE flag passed as the value of allowed_changes (we don't want SDL_AUDIO_ALLOW_FORMAT_CHANGE, and probably also not SDL_AUDIO_ALLOW_CHANNELS_CHANGE).

We should not forget that sdlmain.cpp has a call to SDL_CloseAudio that similarly has to be replaced with SDL_CloseAudioDevice, though. I'm guessing a separate mixer.cpp wrapper shall be added for this.

On another note, this may come as more bad news, but it shouldn't be a surprise.
Basically, while checking DOSBox on a different setup with Ubuntu MATE 16.04, I had the usual issue of certain keyboard combos (like Ctrl+Alt+Left_Arrow) being handled by the desktop environment, and not handled by DOSBox, as expected for certain games.
While these *are* the correct behaviors, it probably means different keyboard mappings will be required (if not just disabling OS-related functionalities altogether).

Reply 127 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LATE POST EDIT: If you fail to apply the following patch under the last SVN revision, please downgrade to r4131.
The patch itself should already include the change introduced in r4132, either way.

I've updated the SDL 2 patch with two changes.

- First, to continue from my preceding post, SDL_OpenAudioDevice is now used with the SDL_AUDIO_ALLOW_FREQUENCY_CHANGE flag in SDL 2 builds, along with SDL_PauseAudioDevice and SDL_CloseAudioDevice. A new MIXER_CloseAudioDevice wrapper function is used instead of a direct call to SDL_CloseAudio from sdlmain.cpp::restart_program.
I know a comment in mixer.cpp mentions that the SDL-specific bits shall probably move from mixer.cpp to sdlmain.cpp, rather than doing the exact opposite, but this leads to much less changes.

- Secondly, I've fixed a minor bug in the mapper window for SDL 1.2 builds, with another color (somewhat brownish) being shown instead of dark gray. Basically, as in the SDL 2 case, a separate 8-bit SDL surface is used for drawing, while the window surface shall have the current display bit-depth. (This does *not* apply to a clean DOSBox tree from SVN.)
In practice, though, SDL_SetVideoMode_Wrap was still called with a bpp of 8...changed to 0 in the last patch.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_sdl2_20180713.diff
    File size
    480.32 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license

Reply 128 of 183, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't remember whether we talked here in this thread or elswhere, but SDL_sound is seeing some love by Ryan Gordon

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 129 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

I don't remember whether we talked here in this thread or elswhere, but SDL_sound is seeing some love by Ryan Gordon

Nice! Just checked it now.

What's not clear for me atm is the status of MP3 decoding, if there's any cuesheet which is using this: https://twitter.com/icculus/status/1020189416512466944

LATE POST EDIT: MP3 and OGG should be supported: https://hg.icculus.org/icculus/SDL_sound/file … docs/README.txt

On the other hand, support for SDL 1.2 has been removed during this week; More important, is that I think that the library file itself can finally have the name (or at least a name's sub-string) of "SDL2_sound" on various platforms. 😀

https://hg.icculus.org/icculus/SDL_sound/file … /CMakeLists.txt

Reply 130 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An update with two fixes:

- dos_programs.cpp: Fixed an issue with language files. All translation entries shall now be present, regardless of the availability of physical CD-ROM support with CD-Audio playback. (Thanks Qbix!)
- sdlmain.cpp: DOSBox could crash on Linux (X11) after alt-tabbing from a fullscreen window with output=surface. Reason is this currently leads to an automatic window minimize by SDL2, which in turn changes its dimensions to, I think, its preceding dimensions; In my case, these were 640x400, as used for the splash screen. However, due to technical reasons (windowresolution=original and other config values, text mode), a rendering output rectangle with the dimensions of 640x480 was expected. Such a rectangle simply cannot fit in the (minimized) window. Thus, screen updates are now *disabled* while this is the case.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_sdl2_20180721.diff
    File size
    481.54 KiB
    Downloads
    166 downloads
    File license

Reply 131 of 183, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NY00123, thanks for the in-depth SDL2 work - and maintaining it across these years!

I was curious how you suggest applying the SDL2 patch? It doesn't appear to be a unified diff created with the typical diff command:

Create:
diff -Naur original-source-dir new-source-dir > my-unified.patch

Patch:
cd original-source-dir
patch -p1 < /path/to/my-unified.patch

Attempting to apply it to the current 4132 source:

curl http://source.dosbox.com/dosboxsvn.tgz | tar zx -C /tmp
cd /tmp/dosbox
patch < /path/to/dosbox_sdl2_20180721.diff

Produces:

patching file acinclude.m4 patching file AndroidManifest.xml patching file ant.properties patching file build.properties patchin […]
Show full quote

patching file acinclude.m4
patching file AndroidManifest.xml
patching file ant.properties
patching file build.properties
patching file build.xml
patching file default.properties
patching file instructions.txt
patching file Android.mk
patching file Application.mk
patching file Android.mk
patching file config.h
patching file proguard-project.txt
patching file project.properties
patching file main.xml
patching file strings.xml
patching file DOSBoxActivity.java
patching file SDLActivity.java
patching file note.txt
patching file configure.ac
patching file Makefile.am
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 14.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.am.rej

<snip>

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Last edited by krcroft on 2018-08-02, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 132 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:

NY00123, thanks for the in-depth SDL2 work - and maintaining it across these years!

You're welcome!

Attempting to apply it to the current 4132 source: […]
Show full quote

Attempting to apply it to the current 4132 source:

curl http://source.dosbox.com/dosboxsvn.tgz | tar zx -C /tmp
cd /tmp/dosbox
patch < /path/to/dosbox_sdl2_20180721.diff

I think that you've forgotten this bit? 😀

-p0

Reply 133 of 183, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PEBKAC 😀..

That did the trick, thank you NY00123!

.. In all these years I've only ever used -p1. I noticed this patch didn't have parent directories prefixed; so figured patch < ... would be equivalent to not stripping any directories.. but looks like -pX it changes the behavior as well.

Cheers!

Reply 136 of 183, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@NY00123: I have tried to patch against latest sources, and apparently it works well, but when trying to configure I get:

./configure: line 4867: syntax error near unexpected token `:,as_fn_error'
./configure: line 4867: `EXULT_CHECK_SDL(:,as_fn_error $? "*** SDL not found!" "$LINENO" 5)'

Guess the patch needs an update 😊

Reply 138 of 183, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've updated the patch to be compatible with r4176. Tested on Ubuntu 18.10 only (with x86-64 SDL 1.2 and 2.0 builds). As usual, it is more-or-less the same as the preceding patch, albeit with a few edits:

- Replaced a few instances of the assignment: "sdl.update_display_contents = ((width == currWidth) && (height == currHeight));" with "sdl.update_display_contents = ((width <= currWidth) && (height <= currHeight));", so fullresolution=original should be at least usable, even if in a smaller sub-window. Hopefully this didn't break anything.
- Misc. changes done, following the introduction of the OpenGL window centering fix in r4147.
- Conditionally use SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP or SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN when setting a window to fullscreen, depending on user configuration (desktop res, or not).
- When a new fullscreen window is created, it begins as a non-fullscreen window first, then the desired display mode is set, and finally it's changed to a full screen. This partially resolved a few issues with changing the display mode on X11, although it's still not perfect, and the desktop resolution remain the most compatible option. Additionally, at least in theory, this is a good way to set the window's dimensions while not a full screen, to be re-used upon toggling fullscreen off later.

Hopefully this should resolve the issue in "configure" reported above by vanfanel (might be related to acinclude.m4 typo fix in r4161).

To Madd the Sane and others, I should probably remind that I don't have any Mac to even test this on. I think that any suitable patch (e.g., something that makes the CD-ROM code usable on the Mac, even if optical drives are really rare nowadays) is welcome 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_sdl2_20181208.diff
    File size
    473.63 KiB
    Downloads
    135 downloads
    File license

Reply 139 of 183, by testerson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your latest patch causes a segfault in MixerChannel::AddSamples (on mixer.cpp) but I don't quite know how to interpret the backtrace. Happens when running Pinball Fantasies but I can't reproduce it if I build DOSBox with -O0. The backtrace is probably useless but I'll leave it here anyway.

EDIT: Ok, so I forgot the --with-sdl=sdl2 when rebuilding. Adding it causes the segfault below regardless of the compiler flags.

#0  0x0000000000570225 in void MixerChannel::AddSamples<short, true, true, true>(unsigned long, short const*) ()
#1 0x000000000056e0b5 in MixerChannel::AddSamples_s16(unsigned long, short const*) ()
#2 0x0000000000575942 in GenerateDMASound(unsigned long) ()
#3 0x000000000057927d in SBLASTER_CallBack(unsigned long) ()
#4 0x000000000056dd9c in MixerChannel::Mix(unsigned long) ()
#5 0x000000000056e3e3 in MIXER_MixData(unsigned long) ()
#6 0x000000000056e576 in MIXER_Mix() ()
#7 0x0000000000573ebd in TIMER_AddTick() ()
#8 0x00000000004099ae in Normal_Loop() ()
#9 0x0000000000409f68 in DOSBOX_RunMachine() ()
#10 0x0000000000410acf in CALLBACK_RunRealInt(unsigned char) ()
#11 0x0000000000764c2f in DOS_Shell::Execute(char*, char*) ()
#12 0x000000000075bb43 in DOS_Shell::DoCommand(char*) ()
#13 0x0000000000758a26 in DOS_Shell::ParseLine(char*) ()
#14 0x0000000000758fa4 in DOS_Shell::Run() ()
#15 0x0000000000759e8f in SHELL_Init() ()
#16 0x00000000007523d0 in Config::StartUp() ()
#17 0x00000000005bb0c3 in main ()