VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.74 shows a white screen

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by theepicjoshua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I started up my DOSBox, one day, and I saw a white screen. Nothing on it, No logo, Just that; a white blank screen.
I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, nothing changed. Just the same old white screen. Staring at me as if I didn't touch it.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit: Version 1803

Hopefully, someone will find a solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Last edited by theepicjoshua on 2018-07-12, 02:08. Edited 1 time in total.

- Josh

Reply 2 of 14, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried a much more recent SVN release? 0.74 is some years old by now, maybe a current SVN works much better.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 3 of 14, by theepicjoshua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

which video card do you have and which drivers?

Did you mean what 'Display adapters' I have or what 'graphics card' I have?

If you meant what Display adapter I have, I have an Intel HD Graphics 3000.

If you meant what Graphics Card I have, well, it's hard to say and believe, but I don't have one.
But, that's not to say it hasn't worked before, it has worked before.

Last edited by theepicjoshua on 2018-07-12, 22:06. Edited 1 time in total.

- Josh

Reply 4 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Thanks, that was what I was asking for.
I suspect that a driver has updated (maybe by microsoft or by intel) as there are suddenly 3 people with this problem. (Got 2 by email as well)

Can you check when the driver of your display adapter was updated ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 14, by theepicjoshua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Thanks, that was what I was asking for.
I suspect that a driver has updated (maybe by microsoft or by intel) as there are suddenly 3 people with this problem. (Got 2 by email as well)

Can you check when the driver of your display adapter was updated ?

Sure! I believe the last time it was updated was on the 22nd of June, 2018.

- Josh

Reply 6 of 14, by theepicjoshua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Have you tried a much more recent SVN release? 0.74 is some years old by now, maybe a current SVN works much better.

Hey, I just tried the latest version of DOSBox, which is r4130. Nothing changed. Just the same white screen as if nothing ever happened to it.

- Josh

Reply 7 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox 0.74 working fine on Windows 10 x64 w/ Intel HD Graphics 530 v24.20.100.6194 6/20/2018

Wonder if 1803 is incompatible with old Intel HD drivers. On the Intel site the highest OS is Windows 8 for the Intel HD 3000.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 14, by theepicjoshua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Are you using the output=surface setting, which is the default? If so then try the output=opengl setting.

I tried changing the Output setting from ‘surface’ to ‘opengl’ and it actually fixed my problem! I still don’t have a logo on startup, but the important thing is, it works. Thanks!

- Josh

Reply 12 of 14, by Dorus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same issue. White screen when i start dosbox. I tried 0.74-3, 0.74-2, 0.74, 0.73, all the same.

My graphic card is a RTX 2080, Driver version 441.66

Switching from surface to opengl did fix my issue.

The black in my screenshot appeared when i switched between fullscreen and windowed mode for the screenshot.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, DOSBox uses SDL 1.2 and surface by default which uses GDI for compatibility to cover the widest range of hardware and software. When this occurs it's likely due to the graphics drivers having a bug likely because they aren't testing sufficiently. Switching to another renderer like opengl should work.

When DOSBox switches to SDL2 these should go away but will likely introduce new issues. Something to keep in mind is that it's not just DOSBox that would break with the issue you posted but likely other games that use SDL 1.2 so a bug report should be filed with nvidia.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1044 … o-report-a-bug/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline