VOGONS

Reply 9200 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Gah I'm just trying to install DOS but it seems all my floppies are dead! They'll write fine, copy its contents to the desktop fine, but when I put it in my 386 they will fail halfway through the install 🙁

That sounds more like a misaligned read head on the 386's floppy drive than all disks being bad..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9201 of 27168, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

That sounds more like a misaligned read head on the 386's floppy drive than all disks being bad..

I swapped the drives over and yup working now 😀 Tomorrow I will put some games and Phil's benchmark suit on it and have some fun!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 9202 of 27168, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:

Now a tantalum Cap blew on the 8088 too daaaaaamn. Now I really need to find someone.
Lately I've been looking a lot on the net how-to but I still need to buy some equipment and take the first little step. Changing caps is not what I call little 😀

Yeah had older machines I wouldn't dare turn on.

I'll try to get one of those boards on my bench this weekend, I'll post if I get one working. I don't want to promote myself as a repair service for people and break their stuff, but we'll see how it goes with my own stuff first. 😀

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9203 of 27168, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I put on my archivist hat today and digitized the infamous PCChips M919 manual as well as the one for the Number Nine Motion 531. Both are unfortunately too large to upload to the forum at ~8MB. Does anyone have any tips for getthing them on the Driver page?

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 9204 of 27168, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received my first AWE64 value yesterday and was testing it out in a Pentium 200 with windows 3.1. Seems to work nicely.

Decided I will move it to my P-II retro machine, running windows 98 and the voodoo 3 card. The pentium 200 is for older games, might get a Dreamblaster for it's ess audiodrive.

Reply 9205 of 27168, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
twilliamc wrote:

I put on my archivist hat today and digitized the infamous PCChips M919 manual as well as the one for the Number Nine Motion 531. Both are unfortunately too large to upload to the forum at ~8MB. Does anyone have any tips for getthing them on the Driver page?

Why not upload them to the Internet Archive? I see a lot of other people adding old manuals there.

Here's a collection which mostly lists other, more specific collections of manuals within the Archive's catalogue:
The ARCHIVE.ORG Manual Library

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 9206 of 27168, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today I put on my archivist's hat (it's almost never off!) and I had a few idle cycles and I picked up my old project of collecting retro 3D API SDKs (including for proprietary 3D accelerators, and for more generic libraries like Argonaut BRender, Criterion Renderware, Rendermorphics Reality Lab) and went down the "rabbit hole". By the end, I'd come across this: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10167

After I finished laughing my ass off, I found my copy of Bloody Roar 4 and confirmed that was exactly what happened, and now I have a copy of Criterion RenderWare 3.5 for the Sony PlayStation 2. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9207 of 27168, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twilliamc wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for getthing them on the Driver page?

Basically:
1. Private message SquallStrife (SquallStrife ) here at VOGONS to obtain an account on VOGONSDrivers (but expect it to take quite some time, since as far as I know, he is away). He is the only admin there, but he will provide you with a web account and with the FTP login name and password.

2. Have an FTP client installed, like FileZilla.

3. The steps to upload drivers are explained at the VOGONSDrivers website. (Look at the menu on the left.)

4. Contact SquallStrife if you are unsure if the contents can be hosted.

5. Discuss about drivers to upload or on demand-stuff on the VOGONSDrivers sticky thread: VOGONS Driver Library

But if you can't wait for him to respond:

1. Upload to a temp host like sendspace or Mega.nz and the like

2. Drop the file link in the VOGONSDrivers sticky thread (VOGONS Driver Library ) and eventually someone who currently has an account will upload it on your behalf.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9208 of 27168, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
twilliamc wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for getthing them on the Driver page?

Basically:
1. Private message SquallStrife (SquallStrife ) here at VOGONS to obtain an account on VOGONSDrivers (but expect it to take quite some time, since as far as I know, he is away). He is the only admin there, but he will provide you with a web account and with the FTP login name and password.

I've been waiting over two months for a response from him. He has been online at least once, and he has read my message.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9209 of 27168, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote:

I've been waiting over two months for a response from him. He has been online at least once, and he has read my message.

He was having a hard time IRL last we heard - maybe someone else here who already has an account can help out?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9210 of 27168, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

He was having a hard time IRL last we heard - maybe someone else here who already has an account can help out?

Thanks. I suspected something like that with him rarely being online recently.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9211 of 27168, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since the RF adapter which came with my Mega Drive II refused to work, until now I had temporarily soldered a composite cable just to test if the MD was working, and I had no sound. Today I butchered an ethernet cat5 to make a MegaDrive II (9pin) <-> RGB SCART cable so as to enjoy an Everdrive which arrived a couple of days ago... with better video and sound!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 9212 of 27168, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Worked on the C/Assembler Tutorial that I have been planning to do for a long time.

WatcomC + inline + external assembly with TASM.

Nothing too fancy, but should give a nice base for somebody starting his own project. Getting all those little details right is quite a challenge.

Reply 9213 of 27168, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disassembled the Toshiba 430CDT I picked up a week ago. Removed both the backup and RTC batteries, neither of which had begun leaking... but better safe then sorry. Also wanted to clean the mouse buttons which were dirty and kind of sticky. Had to pretty much disassemble the entire laptop to get at it only to discover that the buttons are actually part of the very same plastic mold as the top part of the laptop's frame (the same frame which the keyboard fits in) and so there's no way to physically detach them. So I had to remove all the metal bits on that end of the frame and try to very carefully run some water over it, take it away, scrub, rinse, and repeat for a bit to get it mostly clean. Not perfect, but clean enough. This was incredibly annoying to do because I wasn't confident that I could detach the LCD hinges without breaking something, so I couldn't just immerse the part of the frame I wanted to clean in water and scrub away because the LCD assembly was still attached to it. Ugh.

amadeus777999 wrote:

Worked on the C/Assembler Tutorial that I have been planning to do for a long time.

Nothing too fancy, but should give a nice base for somebody starting his own project. Getting all those little details right is quite a challenge.

Cool, looking forward to reading it when it's done. 😀 I wrote a little something along those lines a while back but it is a bit light on details and only focuses on the "Watcom C + external assembly with TASM" aspect. Mainly wrote it for myself because I kept mucking some little detail up with the calling convention and got tired of flipping through pages in the compiler manual to find whatever detail I was forgetting at the time, heh.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 9214 of 27168, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spent a couple hours trying to find drivers for an old PPC Matrox Millenium video card from 1996 or so.

Wish I had just checked the Matrox site first, they're still up!

https://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/latest/

It says "latest" but that's the legacy drivers page, PowerPC, PC/x86, some other oddball stuff.

As soon as I clear my desk I have a motherboard to try to find caps for, and a power supply for an early 90s laptop whose wires were gnawed by rats (sigh).

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9215 of 27168, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed a stupid looking Chinese chipset fan on my Voodoo 3 3000, and also got my Voodoo 2 SLI ITX rig w/ 1 --> 2 PCI riser working.

INZrlayl.jpg

5OqWAXNl.jpg

vo2G8all.jpg

s9iUDA5l.jpg

G5GGhsRl.jpg

7bVR9vPl.jpg

76OlWTSl.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9216 of 27168, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:
Installed a stupid looking Chinese chipset fan on my Voodoo 3 3000, and also got my Voodoo 2 SLI ITX rig w/ 1 --> 2 PCI riser wo […]
Show full quote

Installed a stupid looking Chinese chipset fan on my Voodoo 3 3000, and also got my Voodoo 2 SLI ITX rig w/ 1 --> 2 PCI riser working.
G5GGhsRl.jpg

7bVR9vPl.jpg

Dude, that's dope! Would you be kind enough to please share with me pics of the rest of the machine? I am truly fascinated and amazed. 😀

Also, I just got another hard drive for my PS2, this time a Seagate 7200.10 250GB PATA HDD, and this time, it fits perfectly!

hF75qj3l.jpg

Sadly, things are now starting to get really crowded with the addition of the PS2 to my setup. *Sigh*, first world problems.

csX2o0Bl.jpg

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 21:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9217 of 27168, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Sadly, things are now starting to get really crowded with the addition of the PS2 to my setup. *Sigh*, first world problems.

Whenever I hear that phrase, I can't help but be reminded of the chorus to Weird Al's song. Yet another thing where Al's so good that his creation is trying to become the centre of the semantic network, I guess.

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 9218 of 27168, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ssokolow wrote:
the_ultra_code wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Whenever I hear that phrase, I can't help but be reminded of the chorus to Weird Al's song. Yet another thing where Al's so good that his creation is trying to become the centre of the semantic network, I guess.

🤣 That song perfectly embodies my situation.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9219 of 27168, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:

Disassembled the Toshiba 430CDT I picked up a week ago. Removed both the backup and RTC batteries, neither of which had begun leaking... but better safe then sorry. Also wanted to clean the mouse buttons which were dirty and kind of sticky. Had to pretty much disassemble the entire laptop to get at it only to discover that the buttons are actually part of the very same plastic mold as the top part of the laptop's frame (the same frame which the keyboard fits in) and so there's no way to physically detach them. So I had to remove all the metal bits on that end of the frame and try to very carefully run some water over it, take it away, scrub, rinse, and repeat for a bit to get it mostly clean. Not perfect, but clean enough. This was incredibly annoying to do because I wasn't confident that I could detach the LCD hinges without breaking something, so I couldn't just immerse the part of the frame I wanted to clean in water and scrub away because the LCD assembly was still attached to it. Ugh.

amadeus777999 wrote:

Cool, looking forward to reading it when it's done. 😀 I wrote a little something along those lines a while back but it is a bit light on details and only focuses on the "Watcom C + external assembly with TASM" aspect. Mainly wrote it for myself because I kept mucking some little detail up with the calling convention and got tired of flipping through pages in the compiler manual to find whatever detail I was forgetting at the time, heh.

I'll be looking through your ramblings thoroughly - this is looking good... especially the calling conventions and the "Exploring Watcom" article(wish I had such a lofty physical copy).

The essential details are often hard to come by - meaning having the minimum solution at hand that works and is correct. Symbols being all uppercase via TASM/MASM or WatcomC's calling convention can be filed under "deadly details".(devcpp + yasm was easier in this regard). Also getting the convention regarding Watcom's inline assembly right can be bothersome too - fpu related for example.
I also could not use the rdtsc instruction with TASM so I used the "infamous" db 0fh 31h in combination with equ.

Another one where less is more and everybody seems to have a different solution is makefiles... especially Watcom's with their .lnk file "magic".

I tried an example on a site and it just does not work. Do you happen to have a wasm specific makefile with more than one .c file which one could use as a base?

makefiles in general are easy if you do everything explicitely but I would prefer to use the capabilites of the mechanisms behind it... and then the trouble seems to be starting.