VOGONS

Reply 20 of 210, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

I think the most succinct way to put it is that very few (any?) games are incompatible with EMM386/protected mode per se. Only when you venture into the realm of the low-level optimization tools that you mentioned does EMM386 become a problem, and you only need them for a handful of very specific scenarios, or so it seems. Is there anything else other than playing Build games on high resolutions that actually requires all this stuff?

I don't think so. Ultima 7/Turrican II/Virtual Pool/Mag Das Magazin from my memory definitely have problems:
http://www.classicdosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-20972.html

I think generally the situation is much more like this:
is emm386 essential for loading dos into upper memory?
is emm386 essential for loading dos into upper memory?

I think Ruthan has also met some problematic programs and if he would try the ones that gave him privileged instruction errors without EMM386 they would run (but unfortunately without sound on his system).
Also the need of using LFB or cache optimizations is not so rare/exotic as you may think. Modern BIOS versions seldom contain options to disable cache levels for slowing down programs, and speed related issues are real.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-07-14, 23:29. Edited 4 times in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 21 of 210, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

Thanks i will rename it to real name, right? I was used by author of original config which i started to edit, i didnt questioned it, i just lived with it until now.

It's 'Real Mode' instead. But to tell you the truth no one name it like this. It's actually your 'XMS only' configuration. It's preferable to name it like 'XMS memory only' or similar since this way other people can compare it more easily with their own configuration, and know exactly what mode you refer to.
Basically you use 3 main configurations:

1. XMS memory only (only HIMEM(x) is loaded)
2. EMM386 without EMS memory (EMM386 loaded with NOEMS parameter)
3. EMM386 with EMS memory (EMM386 loaded with RAM parameter)

ruthan wrote:

In situation when just lots of games refuse starting without EMS - its simply most compatible from point of view - that is more universal (=compatible from human perspective) boot menu option.

I don't think this mode is more compatible for you because of EMS emulation. The more likely explanation is that these games refuse to start because of too low free conventional memory.
If they work with your EMM386 NOEMS config then the answer is that they definitely do not need EMS, just more free conventional memory.
There are other ways to free up more conventional memory. As I said before UMBPCI and also not loading unnecessary device drivers (CD/DVD, LAN, etc.) can help here.

ruthan wrote:

Its those really problems, or its just by design and JEMM386 is only good workaround to make users live easier?
Its EMM-> JEMM change really good trade off, i mean fix it more things than it broke? I was always affair to use it, because of lesser compatibility. I never did deep research, but its from FreeDos and we here discussing MS-DOS, probably because is still better from compatibility point of view - I not saying that is because of JEMM.
I just want to hear JEMM or EMM direct answer what is better and if JEMM has same syntax and EMM so i can use same tutorials (most of guides using EMM)?

JEMM386 is more advanced than EMM386 in many aspects. Emulating some of the privileged instructions can be a very handy feature since this way some of your programs that refused to work because of privileged instruction errors can work (including some of the above mentioned low level optimization utilities). Also it uses less memory so in best case you will have more free conventional memory than with EMM386. EMM386 has no such good compatibility that you should be afraid of replacing it 😀 Personally I have not found situations where JEMM386 caused more problems than EMM386. JEMM386 can fix some of EMM386 problems but not all.

Reply 22 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i edited first post to reflect new findings and uploaded new configs there names should be fixed too and added, in new configs also much better comments and individual parameters description.. yeah still is there reported error, i dont uderstand why and it look like that everything looking how it should.

Falcosoft wrote:
It's 'Real Mode' instead. But to tell you the truth no one name it like this. It's actually your 'XMS only' configuration. It's […]
Show full quote

It's 'Real Mode' instead. But to tell you the truth no one name it like this. It's actually your 'XMS only' configuration. It's preferable to name it like 'XMS memory only' or similar since this way other people can compare it more easily with their own configuration, and know exactly what mode you refer to.
Basically you use 3 main configurations:
1. XMS memory only (only HIMEM(x) is loaded)
2. EMM386 without EMS memory (EMM386 loaded with NOEMS parameter)
3. EMM386 with EMS memory (EMM386 loaded with RAM parameter)

Ok, damage is already done:), i will change it new release, description is now good, names are not. I every time had some mental problem with EMM386 noEMS mode, because names are similar and as child i always though that EMM386 = EMS and nothing else, back in day i dont have too much games which had problem with EMS mode..

Falcosoft wrote:

I don't think this mode is more compatible for you because of EMS emulation. The more likely explanation is that these games refuse to start because of too low free conventional memory.
If they work with your EMM386 NOEMS config then the answer is that they definitely do not need EMS, just more free conventional memory.
There are other ways to free up more conventional memory. As I said before UMBPCI and also not loading unnecessary device drivers (CD/DVD, LAN, etc.) can help here.

I never though about it like that, i always had it for hard limit - if game complaining about EMS / XMS - it had to be installed, booted in right mode, not way around it. If it is soft limit and its only generic message that game doesnt like my memory settings possibilities, some very good memory settings could safe some rebooting..

JEMM386 - Thanks i added this to guide. I other thread i added my first JEMM test result.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 23 of 210, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falcosoft wrote:

I don't think so. Ultima 7/Turrican II/Virtual Pool/Mag Das Magazin from my memory definitely have problems:

That's still very few games. BTW, Virtual Pool (assuming you are talking about this version) definitely works even with EMM386 as I played it on my system. Ultima 7 and Turrican I think I never tried to play, but I believe they can be incompatible, based on those forum posts.

Overall I bet there are more games that actually need / can use EMS compared to games that are truly incompatible with protected mode. Heck, even MSCDEX can use EMS to free more conventional memory.

Falcosoft wrote:

No, the situation is definitely not like this at all. Those posts (like most related posts) exaggerate the compatibility problems and downplay the usefulness. They also follow the stupid trend of suggesting the billion-configuration startup files, where at most you need two (and in many cases just one is enough).

I have a feeling that many folks have gotten into the retro scene, when it was already retro, and base their knowledge on a lot of hearsay. I have been running DOS and DOS games when it was not retro, but simply the thing (early to late nineties); most of my knowledge is first hand experience. When I say that very few games have problems with EMM386 (much less with the EMS aspect of it), that's because I have found it true on the systems I have used (a Pentium and later a K6-II). When I say that a single startup configuration covers 99% of the use cases, that's because I have found it true on the same systems, with the games I wanted to play.

Granted, there may be substantial differences in the sample of games which shift the balance. I think it's theoretically possible that earlier games (from the 80s) have been coded without expecting protected mode, without being tested in protected mode, and may really have compatibility issues. But what I would like to see (if possible) is an actual list of games, not some vague references (which is what is usually brought into the discussions).

Falcosoft wrote:

Also the need of using LFB or cache optimizations is not so rare/exotic as you may think. Modern BIOS versions seldom contain options to disable cache levels for slowing down programs, and speed related issues are real.

This point is interesting, and may be relevant specifically for cases such as this one when somebody wants to play DOS games on real hardware on a very modern system. On an actual retro system (say K6), there are hardware methods for slowing down + simple software slowdown utility can be sufficient. But when you have to slowdown a Pentium 4, or a Core CPU, it seems reasonable that you may need more of those real-mode-only tweaks.

All in all, if I went nuts and decided to setup a modern system to run DOS on real hardware (instead of just using DOSBox and forgetting about all this compatibility crap), I would probably start with the same single-config that I've been using, with EMM386 (or perhaps with JEMM386 if indeed it can provide some extra compatibility without sacrificing the ability to find and utilize UMBs). If I hit some actual incompatibility with games, and not a one-off thing that I could get around by just hitting F5 to get to raw DOS without ant driver, I'd add a second config with UMBPCI (since it's likely I'd still need some upper memory blocks to free conventional memory). And hope that my sound card does not require EMM386 for SB emulation (is there even such a card?)

Does UMBPCI work reliably on every PC? I recall reading somewhere that it is chipset-dependent, but I am not sure.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 210, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Overall I bet there are more games that actually need / can use EMS compared to games that are truly incompatible with protected mode. Heck, even MSCDEX can use EMS to free more conventional memory.

I would not bet against you and it's because of the 'can use' phrase. But I do think it's also not so easy to list games that require EMS. I don't think there are so many. Just for a reference:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-24091.html

dr_st wrote:

No, the situation is definitely not like this at all. Those posts (like most related posts) exaggerate the compatibility problems and downplay the usefulness. They also follow the stupid trend of suggesting the billion-configuration startup files, where at most you need two (and in many cases just one is enough).
I have a feeling that many folks have gotten into the retro scene, when it was already retro, and base their knowledge on a lot of hearsay. I have been running DOS and DOS games when it was not retro, but simply the thing (early to late nineties); most of my knowledge is first hand experience. When I say that very few games have problems with EMM386 (much less with the EMS aspect of it), that's because I have found it true on the systems I have used (a Pentium and later a K6-II). When I say that a single startup configuration covers 99% of the use cases, that's because I have found it true on the same systems, with the games I wanted to play.

I absolutely agree that 2 (maximum 3) configuration options should be enough. I also agree about that a single startup configuration covers 99% of the use cases. But against you I would say that this configuration is the 'XMS only' one. I have some sort of DOS installed on 5 of my current machines and the only software that I use on them and requires EMS is Impulse Tracker ( but I'm more of a FastTracker user anyway...). But my (perhaps) biased viewpoint is definitely not because of my age (more than 40) or late arriving into retro scene. I also do not think it's true for Scali (whom I referenced above). It's more likely that it can be attributed to assembly programming/ playing with hardware. It's very hard to live in a V86 sandbox for someone who loves low level stuff. Actually 50%+ of my DOS programs cannot work under EMM386. It's also more true for DEMO scene programs. Maybe that's why Scali's viewpoint is so different from yours.

dr_st wrote:

there may be substantial differences in the sample of games which shift the balance. I think it's theoretically possible that earlier games (from the 80s) have been coded without expecting protected mode, without being tested in protected mode, and may really have compatibility issues. But what I would like to see (if possible) is an actual list of games, not some vague references (which is what is usually brought into the discussions).

Absolutely agree. And I would also like to see that list and also the other one (Incompatible with EMS/Needs EMS).

dr_st wrote:

Does UMBPCI work reliably on every PC? I recall reading somewhere that it is chipset-dependent, but I am not sure.

If it works, it works reliably. But you are right, it's more chipset dependent than EMM386/Jemm386.

But all of my 'more modern than ideal' PC`s using DOS can use UMBPCI without problems. It's a decade wide spectrum (1998-2010):
Celeron 300A /I440BX
Athlon XP 2220+/VIA KT133A
Athlon 64/ ATI Xpress 1150
Core 2 Duo/ Intel P45
Phenom II/ AMD 790x

Also UMBPCI has no problem if SATA mode is set to AHCI/RAID mode. It works on both Core 2 and Phenom II albeit with less available conventional memory than in IDE mode.
Jemm386 also works with all of them (actually I have not used vanilla EMM386 for ages).

dr_st wrote:

And hope that my sound card does not require EMM386 for SB emulation (is there even such a card?)

Yes, Aureal Vortex cards do not require EMM386 for SB emulation. They are one of the most compatible PCI soundcards that support DOS on more modern PCI systems. It works perfectly on my Core 2 System with a DreamBlaster X2. It's actually better than SB Live!'s SB16 emulation on the K7 system.

Reply 25 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But all of my 'more modern than ideal' PC`s using DOS can use UMBPCI without problems.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html
Look and update notes at UMPCI new section, there are notes about Core i7 3th/4th/6th compatibility etc..

Ultima VII +VIII, very infamous because of compatibility and performance issues at release date.
I was lucky i had that time AMD 486 DX5 - 133Mhz and some Turtle ISP16 ISA SB card and it worked fine, but i never played these game back in day Ultima VII one of most complex games even created.. Ultimate Online was derived from it, Ultima VII something like arcade Ultimata - stupid jump sequences etc.

I dont mind those long very technical / philosophical posts, but nobody yet responded on my JEMM problem 🙁
Re: EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM explanation, fix warning- Option ROM or RAM detected within page fram

To Config branches - there are also niches like games are working with SB IRQ 7 or IRQ5 at at least for Yamaha, so you need config branch for them.

I again added few games to list and more details info about problematic games.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 26 of 210, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote:

JEMM386 is more advanced than EMM386 in many aspects. Emulating some of the privileged instructions can be a very handy feature since this way some of your programs that refused to work because of privileged instruction errors can work (including some of the above mentioned low level optimization utilities). Also it uses less memory so in best case you will have more free conventional memory than with EMM386. EMM386 has no such good compatibility that you should be afraid of replacing it 😀 Personally I have not found situations where JEMM386 caused more problems than EMM386. JEMM386 can fix some of EMM386 problems but not all.

I'd just like to add that EMM386 and JEMM386 require different port trapping techniques which results in SOFTMPU being incompatible with JEMM. This is the only issue I'm aware of at the moment.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 27 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Configs update - now right branches names, real realmode and protected mode is implement..because there is limit for 9 branches.. some debug branches are commented, but its fully working..
- I added even more problematic games debug info.
- Slowdowns utils info enhanced Falco.. was right in protected some working - but if you dont have AV2, its good only for debug and PC speaker and nosound gaming..

New games added.

I tried UMBpci is this boot info, good or bad? Its unsupported but working, but unsupported and not working?

UMB.jpg
Filename
UMB.jpg
File size
80.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 210, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falcosoft wrote:

I would not bet against you and it's because of the 'can use' phrase. But I do think it's also not so easy to list games that require EMS. I don't think there are so many. Just for a reference:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-24091.html

Yes, that's indeed the first thing you see. I saw that thread too. 😀 I would also clarify that in my view, if a game needs EMS for some important functionality, like digital audio, it also falls into the "needs" category, rather than "can use".

In any case, I can really try to start such a list, by trying all my titles in DOSBox with "ems=false" and see which ones complain. I recall it was more than a couple, but it was so long ago that I don't remember specifics.

Falcosoft wrote:

I absolutely agree that 2 (maximum 3) configuration options should be enough. I also agree about that a single startup configuration covers 99% of the use cases. But against you I would say that this configuration is the 'XMS only' one. I have some sort of DOS installed on 5 of my current machines and the only software that I use on them and requires EMS is Impulse Tracker ( but I'm more of a FastTracker user anyway...). But my (perhaps) biased viewpoint is definitely not because of my age (more than 40) or late arriving into retro scene. I also do not think it's true for Scali (whom I referenced above). It's more likely that it can be attributed to assembly programming/ playing with hardware. It's very hard to live in a V86 sandbox for someone who loves low level stuff. Actually 50%+ of my DOS programs cannot work under EMM386. It's also more true for DEMO scene programs. Maybe that's why Scali's viewpoint is so different from yours.

I think you nailed it right here. If you are into low-level programming, demo scene, etc, you will surely need real mode more than you need EMS. But for the average DOS gamer, it's probably the other way around. That's why we cannot agree which configuration is good for 99% of the cases, because our software sample set differs greatly. 😉

Falcosoft wrote:

Also UMBPCI has no problem if SATA mode is set to AHCI/RAID mode. It works on both Core 2 and Phenom II albeit with less available conventional memory than in IDE mode.
Jemm386 also works with all of them (actually I have not used vanilla EMM386 for ages).

I'm contemplating trying JEMM386 on my Win98SE DOS machine to see how it compares. I would expect that certain I= and X= switch combinations for EMM/JEMM can resolve the compatibility issue with AHCI mode (just need to figure out which memory regions to exclude). Maybe UMBPCI is just better at detecting it automatically.

ruthan wrote:
Falcosoft wrote:

But all of my 'more modern than ideal' PC`s using DOS can use UMBPCI without problems.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html
Look and update notes at UMPCI new section, there are notes about Core i7 3th/4th/6th compatibility etc..

I have to agree with ruthan here; that page sure mentions a whole lot of caveats for UMBs allocated via UMBPCI.

Falcosoft wrote:

Yes, Aureal Vortex cards do not require EMM386 for SB emulation. They are one of the most compatible PCI soundcards that support DOS on more modern PCI systems. It works perfectly on my Core 2 System with a DreamBlaster X2. It's actually better than SB Live!'s SB16 emulation on the K7 system.

That's good to know, because as I said, the most interesting thing to me in these "let's get pure DOS to run on these ridiculously modern systems for no good reason" is the notion of good, DOS-compatible PCI cards, with wavetable support for General Midi. I'm thinking about getting such a card just for the heck of it, if my current K6XV3+ bites the dust and I have to replace with something that doesn't have ISA slots (or if the ISA slots stop working). I'll start a separate thread on it; please contribute to it when you see it. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 29 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have managed Hwinfo to work thanks to understanding what is protection mode add IRQ and DMA info about my machine to guide..
- IRQ andDMA info

Also add some info of modes in which game are running and removed some info about freezes on quit and GTA with EMS - it were bad EMS setting problems.

Reply 30 of 210, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW just a small note, my utility MTRRLFBE can run also under EMM386/JEMM or any v86 mode, I solved problem with ring 0 instructions via callgate many years ago...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 31 of 210, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote:

BTW just a small note, my utility MTRRLFBE can run also under EMM386/JEMM or any v86 mode, I solved problem with ring 0 instructions via callgate many years ago...

With JEMM both Fastvid/MTRRLFBE work in the sense no privileged instruction error occurs. But unfortunately MTRRLFBE neither with EMM386 nor with JEMM works in the sense that it results in speed up of accessing LFB in VESA 2 modes. Enabling write combining on LFB region has no effect in V86 mode on any of the systems I have tested. The possible explanation could be that started in real mode the physical address and linear address of VGA card's LFB are the same. But in protected/V86 mode the mapping of physical to linear results in a different address (so instead of e.g. 0xD0000000 you can access the LFB at 0x80000000).

@Edit:
Here's a little test program demonstrating the problem

Filename
LFBTEST.zip
File size
31.39 KiB
Downloads
96 downloads
File license
Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-07-17, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 210, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aha, OK (maybe I should retest it with JEMM), then it may be possible to set WC via page attribute table if paging is enabled. But it's too magic to me...
In my use case I don't need any v86/EMS for games like Duke, Blood... they have it's own extender.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 33 of 210, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote:

In my use case I don't need any v86/EMS for games like Duke, Blood... they have it's own extender.

Yes, I argued about this above. I also use UMBPCI instead of EMM386 variants and everything works. But unfortunately on newer PCI only systems most PCI soundcards require EMM386/JEMM to provide SB emulation. On these systems you cannot avoid EMS memory managers if you want sound and this way you cannot enjoy the benefits of LFB write combining.

Reply 34 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

I also use UMBPCI instead of EMM386 variants and everything works.

Im stuck with UMPCI on my machine - see other thread so i cant test ut myself, in my lists are some games marked as reg. (requiring) ems, i just wonder it they are really running without it, pleas try some of them.

Reply 35 of 210, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

With JEMM both Fastvid/MTRRLFBE work in the sense no privileged instruction error occurs. But unfortunately MTRRLFBE neither with EMM386 nor with JEMM works in the sense that it results in speed up of accessing LFB in VESA 2 modes. Enabling write combining on LFB region has no effect in V86 mode on any of the systems I have tested.

In my case it's not true. I just tested with loaded JEMMEX and my MTRRLFBE gained significant speed up:
< Measured refresh rate = 60.4 Hz
< Measured 16 FPS (FrameBuffer>VRAM)
< (transfer speed 119 MB/s)
---
> Measured refresh rate = 60.1 Hz
> Measured 317 FPS (FrameBuffer>VRAM)
> (transfer speed 2324 MB/s)

In your case you can try a hack (the way I accidentally discovered WC mode many years ago):
1st boot into Win95 or 98 with installed driver for your GPU. It enables WC. Then reboot Windows to DOS mode. I mean no shut down or fully reboot the OS but just shutdown the Windows GUI and get back to DOS prompt. WC will remain set until you reboot and BIOS reinitialize MCH. Also you can use some DOS fast rebooter (maybe int 19h would be ok from clean dos) that works like JEMM FASTBOOT.

If you have >4GB RAM try to play with memory remap option in BIOS if you have any.

Reply 36 of 210, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote:

In your case you can try a hack (the way I accidentally discovered WC mode many years ago):
1st boot into Win95 or 98 with installed driver for your GPU. It enables WC. Then reboot Windows to DOS mode...
If you have >4GB RAM try to play with memory remap option in BIOS if you have any.

Yes, I have already noticed this phenomenon/hack and it works.
What hardware could run Duke Nukem 3D at 1600x1200 on dos?

I have re-checked again and MTRRLFBE LFB WC definitely does not work under V86 mode on:
Athlon XP 2220+/VIA KT133A with SB Live! (Abit KT7A) - 768 MB Ram
Turion 64/ ATI Xpress 1150 (HP NX6325) - 1 GB Ram
Core 2 Duo/ Intel P45 (Asus P5Q Turbo) - 2 GB Ram
None of them has more than 2GB Ram.

Would you run the little test program I have attached above (LFBTEST)? On these machines I get different result when started under real mode or V86 mode. I'm curious that on your working system what the results are.

Also MTRRLFBE's VGA range A0000-AFFFF WC setting does not work on AMD K7/K8/K10 systems, but it's independent from protected/V86 mode. For this phenomenon it seems we have found the explanation earlier:
MTRRLFBE and AGP/PCIe cards in DOS

Edit:
For perfect comparison: I use perf.exe (fast result) and 'profile.exe 4101' from Scithech Display Doctor package for testing.
Both give the exact same result in V86 mode regardless of MTRRLFBE LFB WC settings. And both give much better results with MTRRLFBE LFB WC started in real mode.
+ I have just tested a Samsung netbook from 2010 with a 1 core 2 thread Intel Atom and the result is the same: WC not working under V86 mode. Now I'm very curious what system you tested with good result.

Filename
PERF_Profile.zip
File size
180.49 KiB
Downloads
717 downloads
File license

@Edit:
Problem confirmed by RayeR:
https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=15770

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-12-29, 10:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 37 of 210, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The YMF744 supports several DSP versions according to it's datasheet (page 21), perhaps changing the DSP will increase compatibility for some games? I'll guess you have to change it by poking around with the PCI registers as I'm not aware if SETUPDS are able to change it.

YMF744 Datasheet: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/manuals/yamaha/ymf744b.pdf

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

The YMF744 supports several DSP versions according to it's datasheet (page 21), perhaps changing the DSP will increase compatibility for some games? I'll guess you have to change it by poking around with the PCI registers as I'm not aware if SETUPDS are able to change it.

Thanks added to guide to todo section.. maybe someone with these skills me make in future some utility to some of this magic.

By the way that are expectation, what is exactly DSP version? What you be variable in other different versions? By the way in Yamaha is in config in SB line always T4 - SB RPO new, it be changed to something else, to improve compatibility too?

Reply 39 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I uploaded new configs
- XMS was removed from variable names which were misleading.
- added some info to EMM memory area testing
- experimental UMBPCI, JEMM and JEMMEX branches, unfortunately UMBPCI none of these are at least now working on my machine, so its highly experimental.
I find out that without DSDMA.EXE all games under JEMM are running, without that strange error.
I also tried JEMMEX instead of HIMEM and JEMM, its even crashing on DSDMA.EXE

So for now if JEMM, only music and no digital sounds, because is not possible to use Yamahas DSDMA.EXE

I using these Yamaha drivers with patched DSDMA.exe otherwise on FX sounds on my board:

Filename
YAMAHA.zip
File size
1.34 MiB
Downloads
115 downloads
File license

Few new game tested.