VOGONS

Common searches

Problems installing Windows 95

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Vermillion_Catus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I wanted to install Windows 95 in DosBox, for which I'm using this guide:
http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/index.html

The problem is that when I put the command "setup.exe /nm /is" the response I get is "Access denied".
I suspect this is because the file "Setup.exe" needs admin permission to be opened, but i don't know how to do that.
Searching for an answer I found that there is a command called "runas" which has probably something to do with allowing admin permission, but when I used it the response i got is "Bad command or file name".

Reply 2 of 4, by Vermillion_Catus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Congratulations! You've been misled by the internet.

DOSBox does not support running Windows 95.

There are a lot of videos proving that it's possible, and there's even a guide in this same forum talking about how to do it.
Guide - Windows 95 on DOSBox 0.74

I've been trying to install Windows 95 for two straight days now, and this is the first time that I hear someone saying that it's impossible.
Maybe you mean that it's impossible to do so in the DosBox 0.74 version. I haven't checked that, so I don't now if it's possible or not, but I'm using DOSBox SVN-Daum, and from all the info that I could gather there's no reason to believe it's impossible.

Can you at least explain why it's impossible to do? and give consist proof, please.

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not impossible, it's just not supported. Nothing in DOSbox is made for running Windows 95.

What's definitely impossible is running it without meeting a BSOD, running it without the ability to mount your host cd-rom drive, impossible to have directdraw chromakey transparency (breaking the prospect of windows gaming) etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First: you should find out if you need to run Windows 95 or not. If you don't know then likely you do not.

Second: DOSBox does not support Windows 95 as a guest but the errors you are receiving lead me to believe you are using the Windows Command prompt instead of DOSBox since Windows 95 installs fine in DOSBox (except for when it gets to the configuring part sometimes).

Third: Install Windows 95 on pcem, virtualbox, vmware, qemu, bochs etc.

Closed

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline