VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to upgrade this card for my Hyundai Super 286E. What is my best option? How far can I go? Just 8x 64k to bring it to 1mb? Or can I use others to go further, or bigger and use less of them? Like 2x 256k?

Thanks in advance. It's been a few decades since I played with this stuff.

Attachments

• 20180719_140005.jpg
    Filename
    20180719_140005.jpg
    File size
    438.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, the WD90C00 chip is comparable to the PVGA1A or PVGA1B chip, I think.
At least software wise it's very close. From what I've seen, the old PVG1A drivers do work fine on the WD90C00, too.
Same goes for the 800x600 SVGA video mode. I'm speaking under correction, but 512KiB should be possible with that card.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not fast even in VGA though and more memory won't fix that.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

At least software wise it's very close. From what I've seen, the old PVG1A drivers do work fine on the WD90C00, too.
Same goes for the 800x600 SVGA video mode. I'm speaking under correction, but 512KiB should be possible with that card.

So what are my ram chip options? What do I order to upgrade. I don't care if it's fast. It's in a 286-12mhz, I just want nice 256c 800 x 600. That and I like upgrades.

Reply 4 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it would much easier to find more modern card.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TimWolf wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

So what are my ram chip options? What do I order to upgrade. I don't care if it's fast. It's in a 286-12mhz, I just want nice 256c 800 x 600. That and I like upgrades.

Well, you can see on your photo that the populated ICs are DIP18 package 53C464 DRAMs at 80ns'. So you can look online for those. Maybe you find them in ebay or some specialty shop that sells obsolete ICs. There will be compatible ICs out there. See the datasheet here: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-down/H/Y/5/HY53 … 464_Hyundai.pdf

It seems like the 41464 is compatible: https://downloads.reactivemicro.com/Electroni … ata%20Sheet.pdf

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@The Serpent Rider I'm looking to upgrade my original hardware, not get a new card. No matter how good or bad it is.

Thank you Root42, very helpful. Found 10 for $4.32 out of China. Wish they made them in the USA, but the only people selling them in the USA are just buying them from China and marking them up. Now to wait 10 -25 days...

Reply 8 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TimWolf wrote:

Another stupid question. What is the edge connector at the top of this and other old graphics cards for?

Thanks

It's a feature connector. Allows other cards to directly access the VGA memory, bypassing the CPU. It was used for example for MPEG video playback cards and similar things.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:
TimWolf wrote:

Another stupid question. What is the edge connector at the top of this and other old graphics cards for?

Thanks

It's a feature connector. Allows other cards to directly access the VGA memory, bypassing the CPU. It was used for example for MPEG video playback cards and similar things.

Is there anything useful I could use that for in a 286?

Reply 10 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TimWolf wrote:
root42 wrote:
TimWolf wrote:

Thanks

Is there anything useful I could use that for in a 286?

Hm, well it would be a VERY niche application, but there were TV or video capture cards compatible with (high specced) 286 PCs:

http://www.aitech.com/support/descwworig.htm

Good luck tracking one down and getting your 286 up to 4 MiB RAM.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 11 of 11, by serguey bubka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TimWolf wrote:

I'd like to upgrade this card for my Hyundai Super 286E. What is my best option? How far can I go? Just 8x 64k to bring it to 1mb? Or can I use others to go further, or bigger and use less of them? Like 2x 256k?

Thanks in advance. It's been a few decades since I played with this stuff.

Hi @TimWolf. I've already tried to contact you in another thread. I had a brand new 286E between '91 and '98. I would like to discuss some info about it, can you send me your email?
Thankx.