VOGONS

First post, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an issue with my K6-2, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, SB Live!, Soyo SY-5EMA+ build. The keyboard sometimes work, and sometimes doesn't. Motherboard supports usb keyboard, but I don't know If I can install Windows 98 SE using USB keyboard and mouse. I didn't check it yet.

If I buy PCI card with PS/2 headers it will work without issues on bios and during installation of Windows?

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 1 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JSO wrote:

I have an issue with my K6-2, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, SB Live!, Soyo SY-5EMA+ build. The keyboard sometimes work, and sometimes doesn't. Motherboard supports usb keyboard, but I don't know If I can install Windows 98 SE using USB keyboard and mouse. I didn't check it yet.

If I buy PCI card with PS/2 headers it will work without issues on bios and during installation of Windows?

You don't need a PCI card. The best thing that will work is two of those passive PS/2 adapters. One for mouse and one for keyboard.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, be aware that Soyo boards are frequently subject to electrolytic capacitor leakage/failure, so you may need to recap the board before you can make any real progress. I have an SY-5EMA+ that had at least 1/3 of the original electrolytic caps leaking a few years ago, so I recapped the entire board.

Reply 5 of 7, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've replaced all the capacitors entirely but the problem still occurs sometimes. The board boots faster now and all the slots working without issues.
I wondering if the problem is bios related or I need to replace and the ps2 headers.

Reply 7 of 7, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I packed the build to the basement since July of 2019. It was an issue related to irq conflicts. Disable usb, serial and parallel ports and select non PnP OS in Bios.

For DOS - Windows 9x vintage gaming it's better to use a mobile socket A CPU and a motherboard with an ISA slot. KT133A chipset is the best. I'm using Live! and Orpheus I ISA soundcard.