Common searches

FYI: Steam drops XP/Vista in 2019

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 236, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another user with the content issue: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/ … 16348628403635/

Thought this was amusing:

I mean if you want to do 'retro gaming' you can just install windows 10. its not like you need a 'retro OS' just to play retro games.

It's a low bar laughing at Steam forum users tho so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 62 of 236, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why install steam on an older rig when you can always download the games on your primary system, grab a No-CD by RZR/FLT/girl next door then transfer them over your local network? Just a heads up.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 63 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why install steam on an older rig when you can always download the games on your primary system, grab a No-CD by RZR/FLT/girl next door

And ditch our DRM overlord Gaben?! Nonsense!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 66 of 236, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Just a heads up.

Another heads up, Steam doesn't show CD-Keys for old games anymore (the old input-your-cd-key ingame stuff) and apparently the only way to see them now is to open regedit and check HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Valve/TestApp##### for them. Round them up and print them for safekeeping

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 67 of 236, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed the steam client freezes on exiting games now. Looks like their coding is as piss poor as their customer support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 68 of 236, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Why install steam on an older rig when you can always download the games on your primary system, grab a No-CD by RZR/FLT/girl next door then transfer them over your local network? Just a heads up.

It doesn't work for everything. They've modified some games.

Reply 69 of 236, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Why install steam on an older rig when you can always download the games on your primary system, grab a No-CD by RZR/FLT/girl next door

Yeah... Steam is pretty terrible for a gaming platform, although I guess people who want the latest releases / don't want to deal with buying physical media have to live with it.

swaaye wrote:

I understand. Have you got any examples? I last tried copy-pasting Steam Carma2 to one of my older systems and it ran just fine. (I had to delete those nGlide dlls, but that was it)

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 72 of 236, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both threads discussing the possibility of legacy clients have been locked by the mods, with a Steam community moderator stating the following:

Spawn of Totoro [Moderator] Jul 29 @ 7:22pm […]
Show full quote

Spawn of Totoro [Moderator] Jul 29 @ 7:22pm

Originally posted by Turbo Nozomix:
No. The SSA does not cover the games sold through Steam, and only covers Valve's participation in the delivery of the digital content for those games.

Yes, it does.

I suggest having a lawer look at it and explain it too you, word for word.

If Steam shuts down, you lose your license forthe games with it. Just as it states in the SSA.

The legality is not up for debate. If you are not going to discuss the actual matter in the OP about the seperate client, then this will simply get locked for going off topic.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 29 @ 7:23pm

Thread was locked one post later.

Reply 73 of 236, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Community moderator" != Valve employee, AFAIK. It's not like they have an 'in' into Valve's business policy.

I think we can all agree the Steam forums are a breeding ground for misinformation & knuckleheads.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 74 of 236, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
Yeah... Steam is pretty terrible for a gaming platform, although I guess people who want the latest releases / don't want to dea […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Yeah... Steam is pretty terrible for a gaming platform, although I guess people who want the latest releases / don't want to deal with buying physical media have to live with it.

swaaye wrote:

I understand. Have you got any examples? I last tried copy-pasting Steam Carma2 to one of my older systems and it ran just fine. (I had to delete those nGlide dlls, but that was it)

Have you tried to buy physical media for modern AAA games for PC recently in EBGames/GameStop
or wherever the hell they still sell physical copies of PC games? If you’re lucky they
have about 6 copies of whatever is most popular and/or also has a console port, over
in the PC ghetto behind the counter or in the last gondola in the back.

Unless you’re buying older used titles off eBay or Goodwill, or you’re content with the
very small one shelf selection at Walmart or Best Buy, buying physical copies of pc games
is a thing of the past.

Reply 75 of 236, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll grant that most PC games are now online, but not all; I've got Tides of Numenara at home on a DVD.

This is why you should buy games off GOG..

I have the GOG version of No Man's Sky, which is the only DRM free release. This means it's currently less functional than the Steam release. I'm ok with this..

Personally I'm not fussed by the dropping of XP support, Valve tend to also drop features that would be useful on XP, such as the Aureal support in Half Life.

I can't think of any games that have an advantage by running on XP, and require Steam.

Reply 76 of 236, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't it the antithesis of an obsolete games platform to not support anything besides the latest OS?

I read all 4 pages, and this reminds me of the day my wife and I woke up to find our Wii had deleted/disabled our existing apps. Was it really necessary to make the YouTube app stop working? Knowing what happened that time, what's the chances I'll buy the next Wii and wait for it to happen all over again?

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 77 of 236, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, and that wii situation has one factor in common with this: Google

Steam's dependence on Google libraries comes with the baggage of the platforms Google only wants to support. Valve's intent with using the newer Google chrome libraries (steamwebhelper) is for secuirty reasons, and for that they'd have to take Google's platform regressions with them, because Google says so.

ynari wrote:

This is why you should buy games off GOG..

until they update their installers to break on XP or just move them all to the Galaxy, and there's no helping you if you happen to buy a new game there that's compiled against a gcc or VS/.net too new where not even KernelEx will help you there.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 78 of 236, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they will change just the installers, and not the executables of the games itself, it wouldn't be such an issue. Even today, when GOG already doesn't support Win 98, you can just unpack game from installer with innounp even on Win 98 still.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 79 of 236, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also immediately download a backup .exe installer, make as many copies of it as you want and store it away on multiple drives. I love GOG but I don't count on Galaxy or their servers to always be there. Fortunately they're actually giving me what I'm paying for and all of the content is available for download locally and can be stored forever.