VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When they were rolling out Windows 10, I warned all my IT colleagues this was coming. But then it seemed like maybe MS was going to give up on selling the OS and instead concentrate on selling applications. But then I saw this, and it looks like my original hunch was right:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/07/30/2357 … -as-you-know-it

I don't know how I'm going to get around this, I suppose I can image my Win 10 license and just run that machine into the ground or switch to Linux but this is a bad idea for the consumer.

I don't *want* a goddamn electronic etch-a-sketch I rent from someone else. I want something I have control over. While I do own an iPad and Kindle, and I do think they have their place, I don't think that for a power user you can get by with just that type of device. And I'd rather not see the traditional desktop go away. What do you all think?

Reply 1 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure I believe this source?

I've been reading these microsoft paid service articles for well over a decade now. They are generally met with 100% unanimous negative feedback and then vanish.

My only use for modern windows is certain games that require it. All else is done on Linux. With the Vulkan API slowly picking up momentum and MicroShaft stabbing themselves in the front (according to your link), maybe Linux gaming will finally take off 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's just another option MS isn't going to get rid of the current method.

Office 365 is the same as the latest Office. It's the same bits but a different license.
I verified this when I visited my parents and their 365 license lapsed so I entered my old Office key and it was good to go.

I get annoyed when people refer to "Office 365" when you just want to know what the damn Office version is because you're troubleshooting something. heh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The credible sources that mentioned it so far said that Microsoft is going to offer this 'Managed Desktop' subscription solution to clients that choose to buy it, but never said that it was going to replace the existing buy once, use for as long as you like model for private users.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what greed does, sure let people install a shitty version of windows for free but this crap is going to get old for the average user pretty fast but like everything else they will just suck it up until it kills them.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 11, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I already deduced when I spotted this alarmist bullshit news elsewhere, this is not a desktop software licensing replacement. In fact, the systems they are offering for "Desktop as a Service" are not simply software, but also the hardware which runs the operating system. You'll either be renting a networked terminal server "in the cloud" or you'll be leasing a pre-built machine with the OS included, for a reasonable price considering you're leasing new hardware instead of buying it outright. This also includes Microsoft managing all updates for you, including making sure your software isn't broken by updates.

Desktop licenses will still exist, so long as people are capable of buying and building their own machines to run the software on.

Reply 6 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

This is what greed does, sure let people install a shitty version of windows for free but this crap is going to get old for the average user pretty fast but like everything else they will just suck it up until it kills them.

Take a deep breath.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't be surprised (MS has been talking about "software as a service" for a while now)... although I searched around and the information seems fishy at best.

Microsoft would love to have a system whereby users effectively rent their software from them, and MS makes the rules rather than the end user having control.

And you know, for certain people, that's what they really want/need. As long as it works. And if it doesn't work they have to complain to MS, not the IT guy. I'm talking the sort of people who would utter the phrase "My Microsoft stopped working, should I plug it into a different outlet?"

For the rest of us, eventually the Microsoft experience will finally become too much to bear, especially if they do move to a subscription service, and we will start moving on to other options. Maybe they'd get their heads together and start offering a "Administrators Edition" version of Windows that isn't locked-down and dumbed-down, but I doubt it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 11, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Microsoft is and largely has been a company that owes it's current state to it's long legacy of products. Antitrust cases aside, it's basically a monopoly. In a competitive environment, they'd be forced to provide a less bloated package. I have office 97, which has a flight simulator tucked in as an Easter egg. Is that really necessary? In a competitive environment, that wouldn't happen.

New releases over the years mainly have the benefit of supporting newer hardware. First they got lazy, and now win10 is built in spyware. Yet most people won't change even now.

I'm not totally innocent either. I really need to learn Linux. I haven't. Why? Convenience. If I build a new PC at this point, I would have no other choice but to learn, IMO. For some reason my win8 laptop fails to update itself, and I couldn't be happier. Desktop isn't my primary interface? I still miss command line with the "/?" option. Lol.

Half of this board would probably consider using win98se if it was still supported by new hardware manufacturers and firewall/av/anti-malware companies. SE with ntfs and newer file system options? Support for multi-cores and 64bit ram quantities? Sign me up.

Moving to saas is what it appears to be. It's a last ditch attempt to squeeze more cash for no additional work. We haven't seen it because somewhere in M$, they fear pushing too far. When they feel either so in control they don't think it matters, or they are so afraid they get desperate, it will happen.

Like any other change, back up your files and be prepared for the unexpected. It's just common sense.

(Hope that doesn't sound too heavy handed)!

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 9 of 11, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cobra42898 wrote:

I have office 97, which has a flight simulator tucked in as an Easter egg. Is that really necessary? In a competitive environment, that wouldn't happen.

Not sure I agree with that. Easter eggs in software has always been a thing and I've seen no indication they are dependent on competition or lack thereof.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 10 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cobra42898 wrote:

Half of this board would probably consider using win98se if it was still supported by new hardware manufacturers and firewall/av/anti-malware companies. SE with ntfs and newer file system options? Support for multi-cores and 64bit ram quantities? Sign me up.

You know what they call 98SE with newer file system, multi-core and 64-bit support?
NT.

You know what the latest OS in the NT line is?
Windows 10.

Cobra42898 wrote:

Moving to saas is what it appears to be. It's a last ditch attempt to squeeze more cash for no additional work.

That's only correct if you view support as "no work". Which is, of course, incorrect, as anyone who actually worked in a company producing products for huge customer bases will tell you.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 11, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From a Windows application perspective, 98 sucked. One misbehaving program could take down the whole system. But it had great DOS compatibility, which was necessary for most home users back then. Today, not so much. I wouldn't want to run a "modern" Windows 9x on my primary system if such a thing existed.

Of course I don't want to run Windows 10 either. The UI is a steaming turd and I'm not giving MS permission to do whatever they please. So it's Windows 7 or Linux on anything non-vintage.