VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having fun installing the mods. This is another screen shot from 2003 - I have it connected to a widescreen monitor, but the game doen't have widescreen resolutions. Oddly, it didn't seem to affect the screenshot of Rammjager's P-51 V2, but it's messing up my attempts to take screen shots of other aircraft. I guess I'll have to go to some thrift stores this weekend and see if I can get a 17" square LCD for cheap.

While a huge improvement over the original, it doesn't match up to Rammjager's work. I only wish that he'd done 3d models and skins for all of the AC in Jane's. He had begun a P-38, and a long time ago there were some tantalizing shots of it as a work in progress, but he finally put it aside unfinished and moved on.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2021-03-01, 02:58. Edited 1 time in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 41 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:

I put together another system out of stuff I have lying around just for this: Asus M2NPV, X2 240, four gigs of DDR2, and XP SP3. I tried a Geforce 210 and a GTX650, but they both had the same problem of strange distortions. Unlike my 6800 GT, Nvidia didn't offer a driver for either that was old enough to get rid of the issue. I tried an HD 2400 XT, and it ran the game pretty well. But not as well as the 6800 GT AGP card in my P4 system. So I blew the dust off a PCIe 128 meg 6600 GT and installed the oldest driver Nvidia lists for it, and it's running smoothly even with 4x AA.

After installing mods this game is capable of causing some pretty low frame rates even with a 128 meg 6600 GT. So I tried an experiment and bought an Asus HD 6750 with two gigs of memory for $34.00 from AliExpress. And it works great with Jane's with the most up to date driver offered for it!

Reply 42 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 931b for a little over $10.00 at a local thrift store so I could take proper screen shots.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2021-03-01, 02:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 48, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

.....MiG Alley. It's a deeply flawed sim, but still oh-so-good...

I agree it's an awesome game - but *deeply* flawed? How so? Other than general bugginess I never have would have considered it a "diamond in the rough". Probablly a Top-8 flyer for me - great dogfights!

Reply 44 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

I agree it's an awesome game - but *deeply* flawed? How so? Other than general bugginess I never have would have considered it a "diamond in the rough". Probablly a Top-8 flyer for me - great dogfights!

It's generally buggy, just like you already said. Wingmen don't follow orders. The dynamic campaign is screwy. Etc.

I agree about the great dogfights. I think MiG Alley is second only to EAW in that regard.

Anybody curious about MiG Alley for the first time is in for a rough ride. Almost all of the excellent strategy guides are now gone. In one case, DBond's Spring Offensive guide is lost forever. Fortunately, I saved a PDF of it before it went offline and I'll share it here now.

Two other must-read guides for MiG Alley:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081216023829/ht … Alley/page2.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20080827183131/ht … mig-guide.shtml

Attachments

Reply 46 of 48, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:
It's generally buggy, just like you already said. Wingmen don't follow orders. The dynamic campaign is screwy. Etc. […]
Show full quote
tincup wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

It's generally buggy, just like you already said. Wingmen don't follow orders. The dynamic campaign is screwy. Etc.

I agree about the great dogfights. I think MiG Alley is second only to EAW in that regard.

Anybody curious about MiG Alley for the first time is in for a rough ride. Almost all of the excellent strategy guides are now gone. In one case, DBond's Spring Offensive guide is lost forever. Fortunately, I saved a PDF of it before it went offline and I'll share it here now.

Two other must-read guides for MiG Alley:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081216023829/ht … Alley/page2.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20080827183131/ht … mig-guide.shtml

Hey, thanks for sharing! I'd probably agree with you about all it's faults - but serious sims being what they are we simmers tend to have a higher tolerance for them than is the norm. Rowan wasn't aces when it came to support either which didn't help. BDG came to the rescue big time. I guess I reserve the term "deeply flawed" to a game that is essentially unplayable or rendered in such drab terms as to make it not worth the effort. MA was definitely worth the effort, and out of the box was a super fun and exciting dogfighter.

Reply 47 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heavy sigh. First time posting here in a long time because I lived in Paradise, CA and lost everything last November. I got out with the clothes I was wearing, and nothing else. No more playing with old computer parts for me for the foreseeable future.

Reply 48 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad I remembered to look at this thread. I hosted the photos I posted here on TinyPic, and I just saw that they're shutting down this month. The computer that I had them saved on burned, so I just saved them to my present computer's hard drive so they won't be lost forever like almost all of the rest of my accumulated photos, emails, and other files of interest were.