VOGONS

Reply 1960 of 4586, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
peido wrote:

I don't throw away anything, I keep it all. That is why my computer room looks like a dumpster... I need a bigger house. There are places where the floor is full of stuff and I only have a path to walk by.

I can relate to that so much. And, if you are like me, most of the boxes are dead or very ill and awaiting the time when you have the resources to bring them back from the brink.

Reply 1961 of 4586, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea where you live, shipping may have made it impracticable but no harm in chucking something on ebay before chucking it out and maybe pay for your next bit of hardware
that 2x CD drive for example is slow, unreliable and not even IDE but even still, someone here was looking for one just the other week

Reply 1962 of 4586, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You kinda lost me at burning man. 😀

How much in shipping did I HAPPILY pay to get that ps/2 knockoff case from Florida to Colorado?

if it was a "normal" size case, most of us probably wouldn't mind.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1963 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How did I lose you @ Burning Man? Hell, you and I should go one year and setup the first Burning Man outdoor interactive computer museum. Ha!

The cost of the case plus shipping was a little over $100 to CO iirc. That was a heavy beast.

Of course being me, I just send it your way.

...or the hardware giveaway thread which come to think of it I have a few items to unload. Hmmm...

Reply 1964 of 4586, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today a guy that lives over 600km from me, sent me some old goodies that if it weren't for me he would probably dump them in the trash. And boy what a waste would that be...
So I got for postage only, a 440BX motherboard (DTK PRM-0080I E1 with not a single bad cap) with a Celeron 433MHz on a PGA370 slotket (cooler included), 2x128MB and 2x64MB sdram, a CT4810 pci, an S3 Trio 3D/2X AGP, an Nvidia Vanta and a DTK 200W psu in good condition. Can't wait to test all these stuff!
GeHq0Iv.jpg

PC1😜 III-S 1.4GHz, GA-6VTXE, 512MB SDRAM, Albatron FX5900XTV 128MB, SB Live! 5.1
PC2😜 III 800MHz, MS-6178, 256MB SDRAM, 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Creative CT4810
PC3😜 MMX 200MHz, SY-5EAS5, 128MB SDRAM, Diamond Monster 3D, Diamond Viper V330, ESS 1868F

Reply 1965 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The nVidia Vanta looks like the TNT2 card (entry level according to Wikipedia). Great haul.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1966 of 4586, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

The nVidia Vanta looks like the TNT2 card (entry level according to Wikipedia). Great haul.

Yes, probably a Riva TNT2 M64! Thanks!

PC1😜 III-S 1.4GHz, GA-6VTXE, 512MB SDRAM, Albatron FX5900XTV 128MB, SB Live! 5.1
PC2😜 III 800MHz, MS-6178, 256MB SDRAM, 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Creative CT4810
PC3😜 MMX 200MHz, SY-5EAS5, 128MB SDRAM, Diamond Monster 3D, Diamond Viper V330, ESS 1868F

Reply 1967 of 4586, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear: luckybob, yawetaG, TheAbandonwareGuy... Things are just getting out of your hands, my dear...

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1968 of 4586, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

So, you trash a tower that by the sound of it another member would gladly have taken off your hands? Nice...

I remember we had this topic in this very thread not long ago already. Everyone is free to do with his property whatever he wants. Being harsh because someone trashed a part that others may have wanted is just lame. It's so easy to say that he could just gave it away. But no one cares about the work and time it takes to prepare such a huge case for shipping...

I trashed many good CRT monitors in the past because of the same reason. I had no use for them and shipping was simply not an option. So they had to go and I don't feel bad about it.

Reply 1969 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kadath wrote:
Here you are, what I've kept: […]
Show full quote
Kadath wrote:

Thanks mate, I'll let you know for sure what I'll find inside.

Here you are, what I've kept:

CDs.jpg

That top drive looks like a Matsushita CR-563, which is the only CD drive that works with a Creative 3DO Blaster. Pretty neat, if oddly specific application. If you ever stumble across a bare 3DO Blaster (hah! - good luck!) you're sorted.

And yeah it would have come as a kit along with the Sound Blaster it was connected to - called the Creative Multimedia Kit or something like that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1970 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been looking for a CD player to replace my dying, barely-functional Technics SL-PD6 for a while, but I've had no luck finding anything decent. Well, last night this Panasonic DVD-F87 showed up in the disposal area of my own building:

CameraZOOM-20180805121120950.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20180805121120950.jpg
File size
312.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fired it up and found it works 100% perfectly, including immediately reading a bunch of discs that the Technics choked on. It's a DVD player, but seems to be designed towards audio playback (and looks like it has a really good reputation for that if you search around.) Unfortunately it can't play SACDs (I have exactly one SACD in my possession) but it does handle some neat things like HDCD and multichannel DVD-Audio discs, which I've been wanting to mess with. Has SPDIF out (coax only) & 5.1 analog right on the back panel.

No, I'm not leaving it permanently set up on top of my wastepaper basket. 😜 It's going into my stereo setup but I might stick a little video monitor on it anyway. I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of interesting visuals while playing an audio CD though - was hoping for a Jeff Minter-style light synth - but can't complain too much for the price.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1971 of 4586, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gca wrote:

I can relate to that so much. And, if you are like me, most of the boxes are dead or very ill and awaiting the time when you have the resources to bring them back from the brink.

Not only maintenance and repairs, but I also need to thoroughly clean everything (outside AND inside). Cleaning is what takes most of my time, some things come completely disgusting and I'm a bit of a germaphobe 😢 I only stop when the cotton swab doesn't come dirty.

Reply 1972 of 4586, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tanasen wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Yes, probably a Riva TNT2 M64! Thanks!

Vanta is 1 grade below M64, is a lower end TNT2 M64 with lower clocks and half VRAM, there are also Vanta LT (2 grades below M64, slowest TNT2 based card ever) which downlocks it even futher and loses AGP 4x support, both are slower than TNT1 unlike the M64 which is comparable to it

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1973 of 4586, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was doing my weekly bike ride before trash day looking for anything interesting and spotted this old TV on the curb. It was sitting next to some 1950's era console radio cabinets that had been completely gutted and some other miscellaneous junk.

When I was tying it to the back of my bike the lady actually thanked me for taking it and said I could have whatever I wanted, so I thanked her in return and rode the half mile home with it.

After bringing it in, I found out it is a 19-inch RCA ColorTrak set from 1984. Seems to work perfectly fine, no color issues or anything, just needed some fine adjustments. Wonder why it was thrown out. Ah well, better for me anyway. Probably gonna use it with my Atari 2600 and Odyssey 2 systems. 😊

Attachments

• 20180809_143210.jpg
    Filename
    20180809_143210.jpg
    File size
    1 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180809_153330.jpg
    Filename
    20180809_153330.jpg
    File size
    784.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180809_203216.jpg
    Filename
    20180809_203216.jpg
    File size
    473.61 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1976 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:

Was doing my weekly bike ride before trash day looking for anything interesting and spotted this old TV on the curb. It was sitting next to some 1950's era console radio cabinets that had been completely gutted and some other miscellaneous junk.

When I was tying it to the back of my bike the lady actually thanked me for taking it and said I could have whatever I wanted, so I thanked her in return and rode the half mile home with it.

After bringing it in, I found out it is a 19-inch RCA ColorTrak set from 1984. Seems to work perfectly fine, no color issues or anything, just needed some fine adjustments. Wonder why it was thrown out. Ah well, better for me anyway. Probably gonna use it with my Atari 2600 and Odyssey 2 systems. 😊

Huh. My late grandma (on my dad's side) had a TV set similar to that, and my friend and I way back when played Paperboy (Genesis) on that TV set. Also, how did you haul that with your bike? You have a trailer on the back end, or a wagon?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1978 of 4586, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Huh. My late grandma (on my dad's side) had a TV set similar to that, and my friend and I way back when played Paperboy (Genesis) on that TV set. Also, how did you haul that with your bike? You have a trailer on the back end, or a wagon?

liqmat wrote:

What kind of bike do you have that you can tie a bulky, heavy TV set to?

Introducing the Swagmobile. 🤣 🤣 🤣

It was a bit of a wobbly ride. I rode with one hand on the handlebars and one on the set.

Attachments

• rps20180810_144652.jpg
    Filename
    rps20180810_144652.jpg
    File size
    179.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA