VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every once in a while, when I'm wading through boxes of stuff and thinking my collection can't possibly get any larger, I run across someone else on here who's obsession is on a whole other level.

If you have a collection that is bordering on a psychiatric disorder, can you please post pics/details on this thread so that we may marvel at your commitment?

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 26, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was curious about this a while ago so went and counted them: I have 17 fully functional computers in this house. This excludes laptops, SBCs, and faulty and dissassembled machines.

Can't photograph them now because most are stowed in inaccessible places. (I can only have a few out at a time for space reasons)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 26, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The collector people here can have a dozen machines and hundreds of components, but Artex has impressed the most. Of those I know of. People don't necessarily share a lot.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think size of a collection is that impressive, most people have tons of duplicates and common cards. I am impressed when people have cards that are rare and interesting but not popular and build up over time. Anybody with a big wallet can snag all the rarities they want on ebay in short order.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 26, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

I don't think size of a collection is that impressive, most people have tons of duplicates and common cards. I am impressed when people have cards that are rare and interesting but not popular and build up over time. Anybody with a big wallet can snag all the rarities they want on ebay in short order.

This. I prefer the rarities over those 5000 NIB/IOB voodoo xxxx card collections. At that point it's speculative investment and not genuine hobby collecting IMHO.

That said, I'm not sure who has the coolest collection. Definitely not me, I just have the same hardware I did in the 90s.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 26, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Yes it's a subjective thing - I like my collection is the best, it contains all of the stuff I like 😀

In saying that Artex's collection is pretty good too!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 26, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My collection isn't all that impressive.

All in all I have about 30 fully built & working old/retro PCs that range from an 8088 XT up to the P4/Athlon XP/Mac G5 era. There are a further 10 active daily use PCs that I consider "modern" even though they're all about 8-10 years old. Then there's 3 laptops and numerous tablets.

If I count systems that exist as just parts, there's a further 9 retro/old PCs. Total number of working systems (old & new, built & unbuilt) according to my current records is 56.

Then there's 2 drawers & loft storage full of spare parts.

One of these days I'll get around to photographing them all and detailing specs, but that's a mammoth task.

Reply 9 of 26, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know a hoarder that at an aproximate count has almost 200 Voodoo 2 cards, not counting other 3dfx cards(lots) and sound cards from 1996 until 2000. He also has other components too...motherboards, graphic cards, ram, hundreds of Slot 1 CPUs etc etc etc

My "humble" collection is here on vogons 😁

Reply 11 of 26, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, maybe I should have clarified - yes, massive and impressive aren't necessarily the same thing. I also believe storage space has a lot to do with it. Some of you out in places with giant square footage that can devote an entire floor to your collection are very fortunate. And yes, I've seen a couple of you with basement? shelves lined with unopened product - building those collections must have been a part time job.

I've got perhaps forty machines, but I try not to have too much overlap, nor any duplicates. When I have time, I try and sell off the dupes. Right now, i've been working on assembling representation from all the 16 bit machines of the late 80s/early 90s. I should take some pictures when i clean the place up.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 12 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's obviously me. I have, like 6 old computers and a pile of random parts and old disks. Do I get a prize?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

Yes it's a subjective thing - I like my collection is the best, it contains all of the stuff I like 😀

In saying that Artex's collection is pretty good too!

I'd say that my collection is the most fun -- for me.

But, yes, Artex and Hard1k both have some fantastic items.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 26, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think an impressive collection would have a lot of desirable components that are sealed in box.

NIB never appealed to me. I like to use all of my stuff, and I'm very cheap.I also don't like clutter, so all of my stuff can fit in one closet.

Where can I see the Artex collection?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 26, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Where can I see the Artex collection?

Here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArbMcC8Eb2J6gtshYn4vgvG29c5lQA
&
Here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArbMcC8Eb2J6hJdnYn4vgvG29c5lQA
&
Here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArbMcC8Eb2J6hJdohyO6SAHgQlkalw

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 18 of 26, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the only thing I want from that collection.

20131007_095531.jpg
Filename
20131007_095531.jpg
File size
21.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 26, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

This is the only thing I want from that collection.

No deal! 😎

(also he would be tough to ship to Finland)

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg