VOGONS

First post, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello comrades, quick question with a potential issue that's been bugging me.

Dos puts out this... thing... on certain occasions. In the picture you can see the startup of Realms of Arkania 1. The game freezes at this exact point too.
I'm sure I've seen this message displayed before, I just don't know what it means.

It pops up when I start Fate of Atlantis too, but that game seems to run fine.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

The machine is a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT, Pentium 1 133 MHz, CT65550 graphics chip, CS4232 sound chip, 10x Toshiba CD-ROM

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried inserting the CD-ROM in drive D:?

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 3 of 6, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mostly because I can run the game in Windows past that screen without getting that error code.

And, yeah, if you have to ask, the CD is actually in the drive.

Reply 4 of 6, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

And, yeah, if you have to ask, the CD is actually in the drive.

Well, the error message is asking just that. Failing drive or dirty/scratched/bad CD.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 5 of 6, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for clearing that up.
The thing is, the drive reads fine otherwise, so could it just be an issue with SHSUCDX? I'll test if the problem persists with MSCDEX, now that there's enough conventional memory. Otherwise I'm using that and the official Toshiba CD-ROM driver.

Reply 6 of 6, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm, are you absolutely sure it's a CD issue? I've installed from this very CD in dos.

I've noticed I'm getting the same error in my audio driver's diagnostic software. The accompanying dos CD-Player won't play redbook audio, so maybe this is more about ports or something?