Reply 80 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

I think GX100 and GX110 had different riser layouts than the previous GX1, GXi, GXa... so you're stuck with PCI on that.

A PCI/ISA riser for the GX100/110 actually does exist, but is apparently very rare.. My search for one continues..

I have a ton of those risers at work since we used the GX100 and GX110 extensively. Next time we do a scrap/recycle day cleanup, I will grab some.

I would be incredibly grateful if you would be so kind as to ship one of them my way.. You have no idea, really.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 81 of 146, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I would be incredibly grateful if you would be so kind as to ship one of them my way.. You have no idea, really.

Not sure when it will be (possibly months) , but if you need one now, memory4less has the same risers for around $45. (Dell 4224D)

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 82 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Not sure when it will be (possibly months) , but if you need one now, memory4less has the same risers for around $45. (Dell 4224D)

No, I'm not in a rush; I can wait for a couple of months, I've been waiting for years anyway. Just.. don't forget about me 😀

Reply 83 of 146, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally have a GX1 for my Optiplex pile! (I got locked out of my old account) This was about $10 at a thrift shop on the way home from classes and I couldn't leave it there so I will add it to my hoard. It has a slot 1 Pentium 3 and the coveted ISA riser card but I've only tested it enough to make sure the power supply works. Anyone know why these little low profile guys have 3 IDE plugs on the board? Not really anywhere to add more drives.

WyXGpzTl.jpg

JTPrtySl.jpg

C17RTwfl.jpg

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 84 of 146, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
detritus olentus wrote:

Anyone know why these little low profile guys have 3 IDE plugs on the board? Not really anywhere to add more drives.

Probably because they used the same boards for the other optiplex models, like the mid tower and larger clamshell model.

Very jealous of you. Definitely want to get one of the PIII models like that.

Reply 85 of 146, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Madc0w wrote:

Probably because they used the same boards for the other optiplex models, like the mid tower and larger clamshell model.

Ahh good point, seems more obvious in retrospect!

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 86 of 146, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice find! I wish thrift stores near me had optiplexes like that.

also dig your Windows Me decals

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 87 of 146, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

nice find! I wish thrift stores near me had optiplexes like that.

also dig your Windows Me decals

Thanks! I think Millennium Edition needs a little more love, I enjoy using it anyhow. Most of the thrift shops around me seem to just send the stuff right to recycle so this is the first time I've found something good other than the occasional overpriced windows 95 laptop.

gWSJi23.png
Philly Burbs.

Reply 88 of 146, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somebody please fix the thread title. It should be: "DUDE, show me your Dell!"

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 90 of 146, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Done! 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 91 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
detritus olentus wrote:

I finally have a GX1 for my Optiplex pile! (I got locked out of my old account) This was about $10 at a thrift shop on the way home from classes and I couldn't leave it there so I will add it to my hoard. It has a slot 1 Pentium 3 and the coveted ISA riser card but I've only tested it enough to make sure the power supply works. Anyone know why these little low profile guys have 3 IDE plugs on the board? Not really anywhere to add more drives.

The GX1 ISA riser is actually rather common, I have one (accidentally bought). The GX100/GX110 one is rather rare.

Reply 92 of 146, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Done! 🤣

Much better!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 93 of 146, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i-dont-like-it.gif

Please, send Dell Guy away. Next thing you know, we'll have the Apple spokespeople show up.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 95 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get the feeling there is an interesting story behind this creepy blond guy?

Reply 96 of 146, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

I get the feeling there is an interesting story behind this creepy blond guy?

US advertising campaign for Dell back in the early 00's featured a college-age actor whose character "Steve" was more than a bit unintentionally precociously smarmy and annoying. One of those cases of shooting for "trying to be hip" but landing in the weeds. Anyhow, the campaign ran for three years and the character was used in over two dozen different commercials, with both the character and his catchphrase "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell!" becoming reasonably known due to market saturation. Around the time Dell phased out the campaign in favor for a new advertising campaign (as most companies do), the actor was busted for possession of marijuana. Some people saw that as "was fired by Dell due to his marijuana charges" and that's effectively also true, but the gears were in motion to phase him out before that.

Ads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxTHMygpDY
Snopes: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dude-youre- … tting-the-boot/
Behind The Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLGJsxhCHk
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Curtis_(actor)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 97 of 146, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found these, digging thru some old papers - coaster & (case?) sticker.

dellstuff.jpg
Filename
dellstuff.jpg
File size
161.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 98 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Dell GX110 no longer POSTs all of a sudden as of today.. No beeps, no video, nothing. Green light on the motherboard, fans turn for a second, then stop.. Any ideas? I had swapped the P3 1000 on it with its original P3 733 (which was working when I took it out) so maybe the CPU change caused it, but I doubt that..

Reply 99 of 146, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

My Dell GX110 no longer POSTs all of a sudden as of today.. No beeps, no video, nothing. Green light on the motherboard, fans turn for a second, then stop.. Any ideas? I had swapped the P3 1000 on it with its original P3 733 (which was working when I took it out) so maybe the CPU change caused it, but I doubt that..

Is it possible that the power supply has died or the capacitors have gone bad? Those are just two quick guesses for the cause of a problem like this.

Most Dell computers have a sequence of lights on the I/O plate, those are called diagnostic lights, maybe check the back to see what the light sequence is and find the corresponding cause on that webpage I've linked to?