VOGONS

Reply 20 of 37, by XJDHDR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing I kept forgetting to ask is if anyone is using any unofficial patches for this game. I personally am using the NFS5 Essentials patch and the NFSPU Widescreen Graphics hack.

BMickey wrote:

Yes, I forgot vertex option in the report. But it's just not looking the same, projected is superior.

It sounds like it is but I haven't really compared the two so I can't say for sure.

Btw, how did you manage to make the main menu run at a different resolution and in 32-bit colour?

My creations and essays:
https://xjdhdr.gitlab.io/

Reply 21 of 37, by BMickey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I use exactly the same minus WS hack. I set "Windows 7 compatibility" to get full LOD car models and textures (CPU speed check) w/o UAC confirmation - additional dialog which I don't like and always try to avoid; it is said to set "Win XP compat" but it shows UAC confirmation. Unfortunately something has to be set, without it - only low quality textures/models. I also use small 'gimme.dll' (5120 bytes) to avoid 'pic16.fsh' crash, which I got very occasionally when I started using DG+NFS5 recently (after 2.55.3 fixes).

I force resolution in DG CPL for main menu, and set the same resolution in options for gameplay mode, no conflicts. I attached my 'dgVoodoo.conf' used (DX mode).

Filename
dgVoodoo.conf
File size
11.12 KiB
Downloads
180 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also use 4x MSAA (set in DG CPL) together with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (set in nVidia Profile Inspector), for highest quality possible.

Last edited by BMickey on 2018-08-19, 23:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 37, by XJDHDR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some more research and apparently, the Glide lighting issue I reported in my previous post is not a bug in dgVoodoo. I found this thread on the nGlide forum where someone reported the white textures/lighting problem and nGlide's developer replied that this problem is present in the original 3DFX hardware as well. The flickering still seems to be a problem with dgVoodoo.
No 32-bit colour, limited resolution options and now this lighting bug. I'm starting to wonder why anyone would use the Glide API with this game at all. Also, the game seems to use the Glide 3 API rather than Glide 2 as I previously claimed.

BMickey wrote:

I set "Windows 7 compatibility" to get full LOD car models and textures (CPU speed check) w/o UAC confirmation - additional dialog which I don't like and always try to avoid; it is said to set "Win XP compat" but it shows UAC confirmation. Unfortunately something has to be set, without it - only low quality textures/models.

Didn't know about this quirk. If I try this for myself, what should I look for to make sure I'm experiencing this bug because the only low quality bug I'm aware of is fixed by the NFS5 Essentials patch.

BMickey wrote:

I also use small 'gimme.dll' (5120 bytes) to avoid 'pic16.fsh' crash, which I got very occasionally when I started using DG+NFS5 recently (after 2.55.3 fixes).

I was wondering where you got this DLL from but after looking around, I'm assuming that you are using this unofficial patch hosted on the nGlide website rather than NFS5 Essentials. It also explains how you got the main menu in 32-bit colour.

BMickey wrote:

I force resolution in DG CPL for main menu, and set the same resolution in options for gameplay mode, no conflicts. I attached my 'dgVoodoo.conf' used (DX mode).

dgVoodoo.conf

I also use 4x MSAA (set in DG CPL) together with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (set in nVidia Profile Inspector), for highest possible quality.

That is pretty much what I thought you were doing to get higher resolutions. I was mainly interested in the 32-bit colour menu.

My creations and essays:

Reply 23 of 37, by BMickey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
XJDHDR wrote:

I did some more research and apparently, the Glide lighting issue I reported in my previous post is not a bug in dgVoodoo. I found this thread on the nGlide forum where someone reported the white textures/lighting problem and nGlide's developer replied that this problem is present in the original 3DFX hardware as well. The flickering still seems to be a problem with dgVoodoo.
No 32-bit colour, limited resolution options and now this lighting bug. I'm starting to wonder why anyone would use the Glide API with this game at all. Also, the game seems to use the Glide 3 API rather than Glide 2 as I previously claimed.

I don't know why they use Glide for this game. I always use DX7 here and it is better, didn't have many problems with DX7, let alone running on 4 GB VRAM (solved then by DxWnd). But I also didn't have projected headlights issue with DxWnd or native.
There was similar issue with MDK D3D,

Mdk_dx_white_tex.jpg
Filename
Mdk_dx_white_tex.jpg
File size
58.05 KiB
Views
File license

but it was solved by running software/3dfx version or, eventually, with dgVoodoo (initially only original low resolution, although I waited for long for dgVoodoo supporting forcing resolutions in DirectX mode just for this game - using Glide clearly missed 512x512 texture option in the menu).
So I think DG could fix this at some point (for DX7 mode) I guess.

XJDHDR wrote:

Didn't know about this quirk. If I try this for myself, what should I look for to make sure I'm experiencing this bug because the only low quality bug I'm aware of is fixed by the NFS5 Essentials patch.

Even patched, it still needs some compatibility to be set (in Win7 x64 I use); difference as requested:
LOW

Porsche_low_lod_.jpg
Filename
Porsche_low_lod_.jpg
File size
120.76 KiB
Views
File license

vs. HIGH

Porsche_high_lod_.jpg
Filename
Porsche_high_lod_.jpg
File size
136.7 KiB
Views
File license
XJDHDR wrote:

I was wondering where you got this DLL from but after looking around, I'm assuming that you are using this unofficial patch hosted on the nGlide website rather than NFS5 Essentials. It also explains how you got the main menu in 32-bit colour.

This package is repacked one (minus Porsche.sdb) found here http://www.iplounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2370.
But I don't use every fix. I don't use exe file because it cannot display movies for me and also disables steering after crossing finish line, where latter is a deal breaker for me. I've also tried additional hex fixes included (described), but I don't know what is "B button fix" for, I have some choppiness with "Lens flare fix" (even though it really fixes lens flare) and, as far as I checked (screenshot comparison), 32-bit hex changes are not needed - dgVoodoo is changing everything to 32-bit, which is great.

Reply 24 of 37, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can only reproduce the projected light problem if I set 'DepthBuffersBitDepth' to forcemin24bit (DX output).
This is exactly the same problem I encountered in NFS3 (Glide), that's why I introduced option '16 bit depth buffer' for Glide back then.

This is z-fighting which is suppressed by a real 16 bit z-buffer.

Reply 25 of 37, by BMickey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just tested all options: "appdriven", "forcemin24bit", "force32bit" in DX output and projected lights are N/G.
Next I changed graphics mode from 32-bit to 16-bit - no projected lights issue; but as you said - setting "forcemin24bit" or "force32bit" gives the problem back.
So when the game is running native (projected lights never had issues for me and I always used 32-bit mode) it is using 16-bit Z-buffer? So why "appdriven" in 32-bit mode doesn't give 16-bit Z-buffer too?
Is providing "force 16-bit Z-buffer" setting in DX an option here?

Reply 28 of 37, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks!
I can only make 32bit resolutions appear in the graphics options list if I enable only 32 bit ones to be enumerated (through dgVoodoo).
Indeed, z-fighting comes with default Z-buffer bit depth.
I still cannot run the game natively though (Win10 1803).

If there are rendering quality differences between 16/32 color modes then I consider adding 'force16bit' as a new value for the Z-buffer bit depth option.

Reply 29 of 37, by Googolplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm the creator of the "Complete Patch" found on iplounge forum. This patch works fine and I gave it to the nGlide developer who just changed the .sdb file. I don't like the control after finish "feature" from the original Enhanced patch, so I removed it. But the exe fixes everything what's actually possible, even the light bug, lens flare, driver stuttering and low res textures. Play the game with nGlide instead of dgVoodoo. Nothing against Dege, but nGlide works very fine for NFS PU. I use dgVoodoo for games that does not support Glide mode.

If you have questions about the game and the patch, ask me. I could also give you the hex changes to add control after finish.

Reply 30 of 37, by XJDHDR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't believe it has been so long since I posted here.

Dege wrote:

I can only make 32bit resolutions appear in the graphics options list if I enable only 32 bit ones to be enumerated (through dgVoodoo).

I've found that there seems to be a cap on the number of resolutions that are displayed in the game's droplist, with modern screens providing enough options to exceed that cap.

Dege wrote:

I still cannot run the game natively though (Win10 1803).

I can't run it natively on Win10 either. The Essentials Patch and dgVoodoo is the minimum I need to make it work.

Dege wrote:

If there are rendering quality differences between 16/32 color modes then I consider adding 'force16bit' as a new value for the Z-buffer bit depth option.

I'll see what I can do about testing the difference.

Googolplex wrote:

I'm the creator of the "Complete Patch" found on iplounge forum. This patch works fine and I gave it to the nGlide developer who just changed the .sdb file. I don't like the control after finish "feature" from the original Enhanced patch, so I removed it. But the exe fixes everything what's actually possible, even the light bug, lens flare, driver stuttering and low res textures.

So, am I correct in saying that your Complete patch fixes everything that the NFS5 Essentials patch fixes? I ask because I seea few files in the Essentials patch that are not present in your Complete patch. Specifically:

• Layouts folder inside FEData that contains garage.lay, loadreplay.lay and usedcars.lay.
  • Data folder inside FEData that contains nfs5-1.hud and nfs5-2.hud.
  • Track\Cops folder inside GameData that contains Monaco1.cop to Monaco5.cop.
  • CarModel folder inside GameData that contains a lot of files (too many to list) that aren't present in the Complete patch. Here are screenshots of the differences between the two folders (Right only being the files only present in the Essentials Patch):
Files_list_1.png
Filename
Files_list_1.png
File size
7.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Files_list_2.png
Filename
Files_list_2.png
File size
8.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Files_list_3.png
Filename
Files_list_3.png
File size
6.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Googolplex wrote:

Play the game with nGlide instead of dgVoodoo. Nothing against Dege, but nGlide works very fine for NFS PU. I use dgVoodoo for games that does not support Glide mode.

With all due respect, I'm not a fan of this advice. I would rather advise to play using nGlide after you've tried out dgVoodoo and reported any problems you encountered. If you don't, you are not giving Dege a chance to fix those problems. In fact, as you probably already know, a few issues with using NFS5 with dgVoodoo have already been fixed specifically because I and others reported them.

Googolplex wrote:

If you have questions about the game and the patch, ask me. I could also give you the hex changes to add control after finish.

I am interested in learning these changes though don't really mind if you can't. I'm pretty ambivalent towards that particular change. What would be more interesting to me is how someone would revert to using DX7 with your patch, as it currently forces you to use the Glide API?

Last edited by XJDHDR on 2021-11-19, 02:21. Edited 2 times in total.

My creations and essays:

Reply 31 of 37, by XJDHDR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, sorry for the shameless plug but I have created a PortableApps Launcher for this game that you can find here: https://portableapps.com/node/60283
Basically, it allows you to get a copy of the game on your PC without installing it, doesn't store anything in your registry while the game isn't running and it comes with the widescreen patch as well as giving advice on more unofficial patches you can use with the game (dgVoodoo being listed as one of those options).
As a result, my current procedure for installing this game is to download the PAL above and use a program I supplied with it to copy the game's files from my disc. After that, I install the "NFS5 Essentials" patch. Then, I install most of the "Complete Patch" on top of that; I copy every file provided except for the "dx7z.dll". I used the DLL provided with the game because using the Complete Patch's DLL forces the game to use the Glide API. I also don't use the registry files provided by the Complete Patch because the changes made by them conflict with the changes required by the Widescreen Patch and, AFAIK, all they do is make the game use the Glide API. Finally, I use the program I created that patches the registry accesses "Porsche.exe" makes then install dgVoodoo 2.

XJDHDR wrote:
Dege wrote:

I'll see what I can do about testing the difference.

I have managed to do a few tests. My eyes aren't the best and my monitor isn't known for colour accuracy but I couldn't see any difference between 16 and 32-bit colour. I'll add a screenshot comparison later.
Edit: Here are the screenshots:
This is the game in 16-bit colour:
https://i.imgur.com/g8j379h.png

This is the game in 32-bit colour:
https://i.imgur.com/RjGujPs.png

What I did notice was the difference between vertex:
https://i.imgur.com/tdabXRn.png

and projected lights (do see a small lighting glitch though. Look at the pedestrian crossing just in front of the turquoise car with purple stripes):
https://i.imgur.com/dIlcD1z.png

XJDHDR wrote:
So, am I correct in saying that your Complete patch fixes everything that the NFS5 Essentials patch fixes? I ask because I see a […]
Show full quote
Googolplex wrote:

But the exe fixes everything what's actually possible, even the light bug, lens flare, driver stuttering and low res textures.

So, am I correct in saying that your Complete patch fixes everything that the NFS5 Essentials patch fixes? I ask because I see a few files in the Essentials patch that are not present in your Complete patch. Specifically:

• Layouts folder inside FEData that contains garage.lay, loadreplay.lay and usedcars.lay.
  • Data folder inside FEData that contains nfs5-1.hud and nfs5-2.hud.
  • Track\Cops folder inside GameData that contains Monaco1.cop to Monaco5.cop.
  • CarModel folder inside GameData that contains a lot of files (too many to list) that aren't present in the Complete patch.

After some investigation, I think these quotes from the NFS5 Essentials readme summarises the differences I observed above:

Track\Cops folder inside GameData that contains Monaco1.cop to Monaco5.cop.

37. Cop files for all Monte Carlo tracks (for use with the fuzzyfuz cheat code).

Data folder inside FEData that contains nfs5-1.hud and nfs5-2.hud.

Sell with the current value
---------------------------
Repair with OVERALL selected
---------------------------
Replay Enhancements
===================
Showcase in the Garage and Used Car
-----------------------------------

Layouts folder inside FEData that contains garage.lay, loadreplay.lay and usedcars.lay.

Game Control shortcuts
----------------------
Digital meter with analog meters
--------------------------------

CarModel folder inside GameData that contains a lot of files (too many to list) that aren't present in the Complete patch.

The files in the CarModel folder are, I assume, all the other changes listed in "Game Fixes and Extras.txt". The 8 conflicting files are for the 4 official addon cars. The Essentials patch does state that it applied some fixes/changes to those cars (#30 and #31) so I wonder if those changes are carried over to the Complete patch?

XJDHDR wrote:
Googolplex wrote:

I am interested in learning these changes though don't really mind if you can't. I'm pretty ambivalent towards that particular change. What would be more interesting to me is how someone would revert to using DX7 with your patch, as it currently forces you to use the Glide API?

Don't worry about this question. As I said above, I figured out that it is the registry files and patched "dx7z.dll" that the Complete patch is using to force Glide.

My creations and essays:

Reply 32 of 37, by deton24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using newest dgVoodoo 2.621 and widescreen patch with dx7 renderer (ddraw), the game has white textures bug/unreadadble menu
(it was fixed already in one of the old versions as I read in changelog).
The bug doesn't exist in version 2.53.
On any newer version, it's the same.

I have only 16 bit resolution.
Any chances for a fix?

I had also FPS issues which I fixed by setting fast memory access and 1024MB.

My setting is vertex, not projected, but it's rather 3dfx workaround.

RX xxx, W10 x64.
Widescreen mod and widescreen renderer set, DX7 renderer set in widescreen ini, fan patch, FHD 16 bit set in game menu, forcing doesn't work at least in 2.53.

Reply 34 of 37, by XJDHDR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darklocket1 wrote on 2021-01-20, 02:09:

FYI both my browser and www.virustotal.com flag the PortableApps Launcher with a number of virus's. Use extreme caution, unless you understand the virus's and know how to prevent them.

All of the source code for everything that is in the PortableApps installer is also in that package. So you're welcome to open them up in a text editor and point to the lines that contain the malware.

Otherwise, please learn how false positives work before throwing these sort of accusations. And speaking of web browser malware warnings, I hope you don't use dgVoodoo, since every major browser for a long time flagged many versions of dgVoodoo and even Dege's website as containing malware, no matter how much he complained.

My creations and essays:

Reply 35 of 37, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the sightly off-topic question, but does anyone know how to scale the HUD? I'm playing in 1080p and everything runs great, but when racing all of the UI elements are tiny and very hard to read.

Screenshot of how it looks:
ZZkPib8.png