VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think your ideas are all over the place.

Dual booting XP with Win7 or later makes some sense.

Dual booting XP with 2000 makes no sense.

2000 for games makes no sense.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 21 of 25, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running Windows 2000 makes no sense. It's like Vista and Windows 8, it already has all the compatibility breaking changes of moving from its predecessor, but none of the extended software support of the later releases with the same compatibility level.

dr_st wrote:

Well, if you dual boot XP with something more modern, you will find eventually that you use XP less and less - only for the few games that will not run properly on Win7+ or so. So for the little bit that you will use it to go online, it'll probably be OK.

Or, just you know, reboot into the safer OS once you're done playing one of the very, very limited amount of games that will run on XP, but not on 7.

I would actually be very surprised if OP even finds one... Which reminds me OP, what's your thinking here? Because if you want to play games, this sort of overly complicated setup is a huge waste of time that will eat into the time you have to play games in order to solve a problem that's very unlikely to stop you from playing games.

If you just want to setup and mess with legacy hardware/software then why is it important for the hardware to be overpowered, why is game compatibility significant?

Reply 22 of 25, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Running Windows 2000 makes no sense. It's like Vista and Windows 8, it already has all the compatibility breaking changes of moving from its predecessor, but none of the extended software support of the later releases with the same compatibility level.

It makes sense to run it on a spare machine if you have a nostalgic attachment to it like I do. As for extended software support, there's an unofficial extended kernel that allows you to run most of the software that's designed for XP on 2000. Due to how bloated Windows XP has gotten over the years of its lifetime, I'd rather run Windows 2000 instead of XP on early 2000s hardware.

Robin4 wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with installing Kernel EX on windows 2000 so it will be compatible with 2000 as XP?? Has anyone ever tried to getting windows xp games running on windows 2000 with the Kernel EX installation? Otherwise iam thinking of dualboot windows 2000 with windows xp..

Windows 2000 for the pre- windows xp games that wont run on XP and the rest on XP..

I haven't tried to run XP+ games on Windows 2000 with the extended kernel mod, but I imagine some (if not all) of those games will work with it. IMO there's hardly a point in dual-booting Windows 2000 and XP as the two OSes are very similar.

I've heard there are a few games that work on 2000 and XP up to SP1 but not on XP SP2+, if they really do exist, perhaps you can play such games on Windows 2000. Otherwise its compatibility with 9x-era games is pretty much the same, so it's not like you're gaining much in compatibility on the subject of gaming.

Reply 23 of 25, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, it sounds more like your trying to keep things complicated, just for the sake of being complicated.

1. Staying AMD actually helps a lot for compatibility with XP. I use a HD4870 and it's pretty OP for most XP era games, even in 1080p.
2. Samsung and Intel, (probably others as well) have released software to allow TRIM and other features to run properly with XP. I have a SSD in my XP rig with no issues. I'd suggest a Samsung 840evo or similar.
3. As long as it's behind a good firewall and you don't have any plans on browsing the web then you should be fine for security, don't even bother with a AV program, just use virustotal or something to scan the files before you install them. (Just make sure the machine is off when your done playing games with it)
4. Virtualization for gaming is just now starting to become possible, and it's not a very good experience yet. I'd stay far away from it if you don't want any problems. If you're curious look up pcie passthough on KVM. Keep in mind that this is only compatible with certain motherboards, mostly just the ones made in the last few years. I haven't seen anyone try this with an older os yet, so I don't even know if XP will work at all with it.
5. I have run into a great number of older games that don't run the same under win7 and up. They may still run, but they don't run the same. This is the main reason I have a XP rig, (I'll be honest it's in my closet collecting dust atm...) this also goes for why I have a PS2 and don't just use the emulator. The difference between XP and Vista was MASSIVE, MS changed basically everything, this was largely fixed in Win7, but 8 and 10 changed this even more. I totally understand why you would want to keep Win XP for this build. especially for the 32/64bit issue.
6. There's no practical reason to choose 2000 over XP. XP was compatible with FAR more games than 2000 was (even win9x games), and there while most XP era games work on 2000, patches and other weird things are required and IMHO that kind of defeats the point of a retro rig. The same can be said with Vista over Win 7. Win 7 was basically just a fixed version of Vista, and is also far more compatible with games. That being said, I've run weird OSes in computers like this just for the LAWLZ. I have a WinME gaming rig that I basically use for a laugh (man it BSODs a lot!).

Overall I see this as you trying to get this build to do far more than is realistic. If you want to use this as a WinXP gaming rig, then do it. Keep it simple and don't try and dualboot it with a newer OS. Use a separate PC for that stuff, you'll save a lot of headaches.
Also I've ran this platform for a while, DON'T use it for virtualization. AMD was TERRIBLE at it before RYZEN came out. It's slow as hell and missing most of the advanced features that would enable a high speed desktop experience with it.
That being said I hope you have fun with this build, and be sure to let us know what you decided and how it all went.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 24 of 25, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:
I think your ideas are all over the place. […]
Show full quote

I think your ideas are all over the place.

Dual booting XP with Win7 or later makes some sense.

Dual booting XP with 2000 makes no sense.

2000 for games makes no sense.

Some games dont run on windows xp from the 2000 area.But do have support for 2000. Windows Me isnt also an alternative for me. ME is just to buggy.. Win2000 is beter optimized. If i just could run windows 2000 with kernelex i could skip windows xp.. Still the compatibillity wouldnt be 100% like in XP.
But i have very fond memories of windows xp.. So really want to install that again also.

I know that windows 2000 was never ment to run games on.. But still some of games of that period have support for it. But if you trying installing ME. Inside the installer it is already buggy.. Windows 98se isnt support by the hardware.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I over thought everything. On my opinion dual booting windows xp with 7 is a to big gap.. Specially on using hardware.. And later windows xp titels could probably run on 7 as well..

So iam going changing my faster windows 98 system to an 2000 area build.. To cover to most important period of windows xp ( i say probably till 2008)
Going with AMD Athlon 64 hardware and a pci-e graphics card.. (thinking of an HD5770 would be more then enough and uses less power then as example an X1xx ,X2xxx, x3xxx, x4xxx series) ( I have more with Athlon 64 then with athlon XP) (back in the day i had MSI K8n neo 2 platinium with 3200+ and 2 gig of memory.)

The other system i wanted XP dual booting with 7 would be only getting an windows 7 installation (or might do dual boot 32 / 64) (32 bit to be compatible with 16 bit software *then also make it a transfer system for my vintage computers)
For this system i keep it with AMD Phenom II X6 1090 @ 4Ghz and an RX470 4GB (HD79xx and R9 2xx, R9 3xx) consumes to much power to me..

And windows 98 se isnt supported with the hardware.. So 2000 would be the best bet.

~ At least it can do black and white~