IBM APTIVA MASTER RACE!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 99, by KSHIRZA1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

mayhaps you should marry him so you can use that aptiva

He's probably out of my league with that sexy IBM banana hammock. I have a taste for the beige personally...

\\IBM Aptiva 2144 build\
My instagram @kshirza1

Reply 41 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
Found one, had to pay a bit more than I liked for it but whatever. These machines are really cool. Also, if you ship out desktop […]
Show full quote

Found one, had to pay a bit more than I liked for it but whatever. These machines are really cool. Also, if you ship out desktops DO NOT pack them in broken pieces of styrofoam. It got everywhere inside the machine and the power supply.

Yz2oefdm.jpg

A lovely machine restored to good health.

IBM Aptiva 2176-C73

They had a couple of these on ebay the other day for real cheap in excellent condition.
I could kick myself for not buying one. They sold the next day.

Reply 42 of 99, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean that IBM Aptiva 2176-C73 P120 for $70? If I only had more space. I think IBM Aptiva systems have a lot of potential for growth of value within the next decade. I don't own any, but you get to a point where you have to stop collecting or you'll end up broke with your whole house full of this clutter.

That system is interesting, it has PCI slots sandwiched between ISA slots. Four SIMMs and one SDRAM slot. An empty COAST socket.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 43 of 99, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have some bad news and good news.

Bad news is the front plastic broke off and the front door no longer works as desired. I sold the machine to an IRC friend and packed it well. FedEx shattered it and the top handle is in pieces. Hardware wise, it works perfectly. At least it went to a good home.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 44 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Purchased some original IBM 1995 recovery disks and software.

Attachments

Reply 48 of 99, by anderswk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I upgraded my 2144-937 from a 75MHz Pentium to a 133MHz and had a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers for in the HW maintenance manuals:

1) Can I use a Pentium MMX (P55C) in this system by just setting the jumper or do I also need a different VRM?

2) My Aptiva didn't come with any L2 cache. I tried with the COAST module from a P55TP4XE, but no luck. What kind of modules are compatible? If someone could post a picture of their module that would be great.

Thanks.

1991: IBM PS/2 Model 35 SX
1995: IBM Aptiva 2144
1999: IBM IntelliStation M Pro 6889

Reply 50 of 99, by anderswk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, there are markings near the jumper for selecting between P54C/P55C, but I didn't see any markings near VRM, hence the questions.

Reply 51 of 99, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anderswk wrote:

Right, there are markings near the jumper for selecting between P54C/P55C, but I didn't see any markings near VRM, hence the questions.

Those probably control the VRM regardless of location.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 52 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
Found one, had to pay a bit more than I liked for it but whatever. These machines are really cool. Also, if you ship out desktop […]
Show full quote

Found one, had to pay a bit more than I liked for it but whatever. These machines are really cool. Also, if you ship out desktops DO NOT pack them in broken pieces of styrofoam. It got everywhere inside the machine and the power supply.

Yz2oefdm.jpg

A lovely machine restored to good health.

IBM Aptiva 2176-C73
Intel Pentium 200MHz
64MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (was 16MB)
256K cache via COAST module
3.5" floppy drive
8X Hitachi CDR-7930 5.25" CD-ROM drive
3.5" IBM DAQA-32700 2.5GB 5400RPM hard drive
MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows for Workgroups 3.11
2MB ATI Mach64 GT onboard video
4MB Matrox Mystique 220 PCI video card
YAMAHA YMF-719 OPL3 ISA sound card (replaced an IBM Mwave modem/sound card combo, gross)
Kingston NE2000 clone ISA network card
Replaced internal fan with a larger, quieter one
Not complete yet, just want to add another hard drive for Windows 95.

6eUf4x7m.jpg

Can you fit a floppy drive 5.25 in this IBM case along with CDROM ?

Reply 53 of 99, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, just make sure your floppy cable is long enough and can accommodate both 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 54 of 99, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I am not mistaken, oeuvre, I have the matching Aptiva speakers currently disassembled in the basement, cleaned them a bit and am currently waiting for a new power switch as the old one was shattered. Once reassemble, you interested in these? They are rather small but good sounding shielded speakers.

They look almost exactly like the ones in this picture:

007.jpg

EDIT: Just saw you're living in the states. Sigh, probably uneconomical with regards to shipping...

Reply 56 of 99, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was outside a recycling center a couple of years ago and when I asked about it the staff said that everything left outside is free, so I took it.

aptiva.jpg
Filename
aptiva.jpg
File size
142.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://www.cnet.com/products/ibm-aptiva-e-21 … mb-12-gb/specs/

I only added a Voodoo3 AGP and left the rest as it was.

Reply 57 of 99, by anderswk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently watched Adrian Blacks video on the IBM PC 5150 and noticed he had an IBM startup logo:

https://youtu.be/yXPpLLYMRqI?t=1399

The ANSI file is linked in the comments to video. The logo in his file looks a bit off to me, so I made a new version based on the logo from PS/2 reference diskettes using thedraw:

ibm.jpg
Filename
ibm.jpg
File size
117.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's the ANSI if you're interested: https://textuploader.com/1a29x

Reply 59 of 99, by Elpast0r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

some time ago i bought an IBM Aptiva 2168 93w Pentium 75mhz 8mb/540mb.

The goal is to be able to play my old dos en windows 95 games (like kingsquest, lba2,c&c...) on original hardware unfortunately though I played my share of games in the past my knowledge about pc hardware in general is not that great to say the least. I'm definitely willing to learn, and was hoping you guys could maybe give me some tips/answers.

When I fired it up, the computer booted windows 95 fine from the start (with some driver issues regarding the soundcard and cd-rom).
However after a while trying to fix these errors there where some 'strange noises' coming out of the psu (even after carefully cleaning the fan) and not being that tech-savy myself I decided to look for a replacement. It proved to be more difficult then I thought, as it seemes the motherboard has some 'strange' 3pin connector.

I finaly found an affordable psu that has the right connectors. However the numbers on the psu are not completely identical to the original one. Will this be a problem?

original
psu-old.jpg

new
new-psu.jpg

While searching for the psu I also got my hands on a S3 virge(diamond) and a Rage pro Turbo.
When browsing through google and youtube it looks like I just have to plug in the cards in the correct slot, install the drivers and maybe disable the onboard graphics? (As the cd-rom wasnt working, I got myself some floppy-disks and an external drive.)

So after this long post a small recap 😉

1) Is it safe to use this psu?
2) Do i just plug in the cards and install the drivers?
3) Are those cards any good for my 'goal'? The info i found online seems to tell me they are.

Thanks in advance!