VOGONS

First post, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

today I received an Orchid SoundWave 32. Unfortunately, I did not look closely and now see that a few components are missing!

This is my card:

Orchid SoundWave 32.jpg
Filename
Orchid SoundWave 32.jpg
File size
983.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I think I could fix the good old soundcard again.
With the help of pictures found in the internet, I already identified some parts.

But for three components, unfortunately, I do not know what it is exactly:
Capacitor C40
Crystal Oscillator X2
And the two BIOS ROMs

I have found the contents of the ROMs in another thread, but I do not know exactly which EPROM I should use for it. I have an external programmer (TL866II) from another project that I could use.

Does one of you have such a card lying around and can help me with the components?

Reply 1 of 18, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have an Orchid Soundwave 32 - let me take a closer look to see if my card is the same revision as yours.
Yes, you can use any E(E)PROM burner to burn the ROM images.
If memory serves the ROM images are 512 KB each which means you require the 27C040 EEPROM type chips.
I suggest you burn the Invision ROM images since their sounds quality is much better than the standard Prosonus ROM images.

Reply 2 of 18, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, Jesolo!
I tend to EEPROM. So I could test the Invision and the Prosonus ROM.
But with this size and dimenion they are hard to find.
I only found EN29F040A-70PC. Do you think they could work?
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets2/27/279938_1.pdf

Alternatively, I could use ATMEL's AT27C040-70PC. But these are OTP EPROM.

Edit: And I found these MX29F040PC-70
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/mac … 29F040PC-70.pdf

Reply 3 of 18, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JimWest wrote:

Capacitor C40
Crystal Oscillator X2

U13 = LM340T5
U22 = TDA1517
X2 = 16.00 MHz
C40 = 16V 100 microF

JimWest wrote:

ATMEL's AT27C040-70PC
MX29F040PC-70

You can use any of these. EPROMS or EEPROMS work.
I used to program 27C040 with the Prosonius Sound ROMs.
I have some EPROMS left, I can programm them for you. Of course I will test them first.
Send me a PM if you want.

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2018-09-02, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 18, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
moturimi1 wrote:
U13 = LM340T5 U22 = TDA1517 X2 = 16.00 MHz C40 = 16V 100 microF […]
Show full quote

U13 = LM340T5
U22 = TDA1517
X2 = 16.00 MHz
C40 = 16V 100 microF

Thank you for the informations, moturimi1! That's what I needed. 😀

moturimi1 wrote:

I have some EPROMS left, I can programm them for use. Of course I will test them first.
Send me a PM if you want.

That would be great! If you test them, I can already rule out a source of error!
Jesolo says the Invision ROM images would sound best in terms of quality. Could you burn these?

Unfortunately I can not send you a PM.
"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."
😐

Perhaps I can answer, after you contacted me.

Reply 7 of 18, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
moturimi1 wrote:

PM sent.

I would like to accept your offer with registered shipping (For your information I live in Germany). Unfortunately, I can not even respond to a PM. Can you send me your email address? Then we clarify everything else on this path. Thank you very much!

Reply 9 of 18, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today, all necessary components have finally arrived!
I have chosen original parts to restore an authentic condition. At least as much as possible.

Parts.jpg
Filename
Parts.jpg
File size
791.13 KiB
Views
File license

Special thanks to moturimi1 for providing and testing the ROMs! They even arrived first. 😎

Soldering.jpg
Filename
Soldering.jpg
File size
743.99 KiB
Views
File license

I put everything together and am quite satisfied with the result. Unfortunately, I noticed now that the CD-ROM audio header was also half soldered out.
One pin even hung loose and was broken. It was only held by the plastic. I decided to remove the header altogether and then use a new one later.

Result.jpg
Filename
Result.jpg
File size
689.54 KiB
Views
File license

After putting the card in my 486, I was a little bit nervous if a defect could damage the motherboard... Hmmm... 😲
But after installing the drivers, I could easily configure the card. Yeah, it works!!

Then I tested Monkey Island 2 in MT32 mode and what can I say... it sounds very interesting.
In Sound Blaster mode I like it almost better. But hey it's MT32. If I had that in the 90s, I certainly would not have complained about it. 😀

Thanks again for the information and the help!

Reply 10 of 18, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great Job on the restoration!

It's always good to preserve old hardware, especially the funky weird parts like this card. I've missed out on this card a few times, and even though its probably not "the best" card from its day, its certainly an interesting one and one to have in anyone collection!

Well done and Enjoy!

Reply 12 of 18, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great job.
I am happy that you were able to revive the card.
I was not sure about it, because I thought that there was a defect on the card. Otherwise, why should one remove parts from the card?

You should definately try a GM game e.g. Dark Forces, Day of the Tentacle, Sam&MAX, DOOM and the like.
Maybe you can contribute your recordings as well.
As far as I can remember the MT32 emulation does not really work. It sounds worse than other cards.
And be aware to switch between GM & MT32 modus in sw32.exe

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2018-09-16, 15:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 18, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great work. Glad to see you managed to revive it.
Just a question about the jumper setting.
When installing the Invision ROMs, must the jumper be in the 512K or 1M position?

Reply 15 of 18, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you guys! 😎

moturimi1 wrote:

I was not sure about it, because I thought that there was a defect on the card. Otherwise, why should one remove parts from the card?

Yes, that's what I thought too. But I was lucky.

moturimi1 wrote:

Why?

jesolo wrote:

When installing the Invision ROMs, must the jumper be in the 512K or 1M position?

Hmm that's a good question. I didn't think to much about that setting last night. Because the ROM size is 512K for Prosonus and for Invision, or?
It worked for me with the 512K setting. After your hint, I was curious to find out, if the 1M setting makes a difference.
First: it worked, too.
Second: I didn't noticed any difference (but I have to admit I only tried Duke3D's theme song with GM).

Okay, but why is it working with both settings?! Next I tried without the ROM size jumper. And it still worked!
I thought the pin must be broken like the one with the CD-ROM header. But no, it's ok.
I checked the conductor tracks and it seems to me, it only would make any difference, when the chip U20 will be installed. 😲

Reply 16 of 18, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
moturimi1 wrote:

JimWest wrote:

Why?

Just if you want to be sure that it is in correct mode for the game.
MT-32 on the SW32 does not sound good at all, even though Monkey Island does not use "special instruments" that non-geniune MT-32 hardware is not able to play back correctly.

jesolo wrote:

JimWest wrote:

I checked the conductor tracks and it seems to me, it only would make any difference, when the chip U20 will be installed. 😲

Correct, there is no influence

JimWest wrote:

What is the best way to record tracks

If you want to record some tracks it is best to use Audacity (free software) and a second computer e.g. a notebook with line in. I normally add an external soundcard to my notebook to record the tracks. I have no real issue with noise in my recorded tracks.

Reply 18 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most likely a 74series logic IC to accommodate larger roms?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website