DOSBox 0.74-2 has been released

Topic actions

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A maintenance release for DOSBox 0.74, which solves the following problems:

• Windows: Fix auto/max cycles algorithm on Windows 7, which helps with stuttering audio.
  • Mac OS X: Bring a 64 bit version and improve performance.
  • Linux: Fix the 64bit dynrec cpu core and a lot of compilation problems. Add patches for the WINE Team.

The game compatibility should be identical to 0.74.

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/

Full changelog:

0.74-2

• Rewrite auto/max cycles algorithm to work better with windows 7, other OSes might benefit as well.
  • Update 64bit recompiler to work on OSX and Linux.
  • Several improvements to make the recompilers work with newer compilers and add some workarounds about clang confusing itself.
  • Fix several variables being the wrong size in the recompiler.
  • Support absolute 64 bit addressing. (DRC:64 bit error messages)
  • Zero extend data in dynrec core for LLVM compilation/
  • Reduce overhead of the Mac version with a lot. Results in a speed increase.
  • Replace NV_PixelDataRange with the more common ARB_PixelBufferObject extension. Should help with output=opengl.
  • Reuse graphics window if possible instead of always creating a new one!
  • Add patches to work better when called by WINE:
    • support WINE style namemangling.
    • allow Z:\ to be moved to a different drive.
  • Try to fix stuttering audio with opengl output on Linux. (or at least improve it. Linux users might need to increase the prebuffer option a bit)
  • Fix automake and autoconf problems.
  • Fix problems related to packed struct layouts.
  • Fix compilation on gcc 4.4 and gcc 4.6.1.
  • Fix compilation with -DPIC.
  • Hopefully fix crash on shutdown, when unknown condition is encountered.
  • Fix -lto with gcc.
  • Fix clang compliation with asm fpu core.
  • Fix mapper crash on startup and when changing the mapper key.
  • Fix compilation in VS2015.
  • Fix compilation on mingw64.
  • Fix compilation on Frisbee and newer clang.
  • Fix compilation machines that have X11 libraries installed, but use a SDL without X11.
  • Fix a few problems relating to video capturing:
    • Writing out the index too often. (slowdown with longer captures)
    • Not being aware of when only the refresh rate changed.
  • Fix call order when bitshifting the return order (VS C /O2 builds).
  • Fix sign-extension error in S3 draw funcion, i.e. win3.1 analog clock.
  • Fix expanddot not caring about the size of the inputbuffer.
  • Some fixes for the debugger related to starting a program through debug.com.
  • Bring OS/2 port code up to date.
  • Reduce the amount of warning when compiling with quite a bit.
  • Allow 15/26/32 bits input to the opengl output.
  • Add cmd-q as exit key for macs.
  • Fix icon and titlebar on very old setups.
  • Fix off by one display size calculation errors with very large displays.
  • Fix out of bounds access the unused byte in the 32 bit colour value of the hardware mouse cursor pixel was affected.
  • Fix depreciated warnings on Mac, allow soundfont loading for coreaudio.
  • Keep repeating a pressed key if another key was unpressed.
  • Fix crash on OS X related to putting junk in the titlebar.
  • Extend fullresolution=0x0 to work on Linux and Mac.
  • Change gameblaster and tandy sound core to latest mame version.
  • Improve numlock and capslock support on Linux and Macs. Still not perfect on Windows.
  • Added even more code to workaround Windows behaving weirdly with alt-tab.

We have saved all game fixes for the upcoming 0.75 release, which will enter regression testing soon. This release has been created so you can go back to 0.74-2, in case we happen to break your favourite game in 0.75.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 54, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Firtasik wrote:

Welcome to DOSBox 0.74-2. After 8 years in development, hopefully it would have been worth the wait. 😁

I forgot to add:
We have saved all game fixes for the upcoming 0.75 release, which will enter regression testing soon. This release has been created so you can go back to 0.74-2, in case we happen to break your favourite game in 0.75.

Reply 3 of 54, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

I forgot to add:

That's a very correct approach indeed.

Reply 4 of 54, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

A maintenance release for DOSBox 0.74, which solves the following problems:

• Windows: Fix auto/max cycles algorithm on Windows 7, which helps with stuttering audio.

Weird version number, but I am used to that. You would have to go a long way to top "Word for Windows 2.0" which ran on Windows 3. (It was version 2.0 of Word for Windows.)

The stuttering audio has been an issue for me as I work while listening to YouTube videos. I hope this nails it.

Because I need printer support, I do not use vanilla DOSBox. Is there a version of 0.74-2 with printer support available? I am not concerned with whether it is an official version.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 5 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SWEET!

How does this compare to the SVN ?

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-08-30, 20:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 54, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My heart jumped.

I assume this will fix crashes when using core=dynamic in Linux? Because that's been a persistent problem for me that I've never been able to fix except by running DOSBox win32 under Wine.

Also, are you really serious about 0.75? There's actually work being done on it? It's actually a thing that will someday exist? I thought DOSBox 0.75 was basically Bigfoot at this point! (i.e. "forget about it and use the SVNs")

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 11 of 54, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooooh, a new DOSBox version. Congrats on the release! 😀

I'm curious though. When are you finally going to migrate from SVN to Git? Being a software developer myself, I cannot imagine any collaborative code base, especially one as complex and popular as DOSBox, not being managed through Git these days. I hope I won't offend anyone by being so opinionated about this, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Come on, it's 2018! 😉

Nevertheless, thanks for the hard work and keep it up! I'm looking forward to version 0.75.

Reply 12 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

SWEET!

How does this compare to the SVN ?

scroll up

I looked at the change log... Is there an actual list of fixes over 0.74 for the SVN?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 54, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to be the one that draws criticisms, but I must say that I don't trust anymore installers downloaded from Sourceforge. Could you please put DOSBox windows releases in a .zip file?

Thanks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 54, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the md5sum and sha1 match with what I uploaded.
So the files have not been altered.

Reply 15 of 54, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

I hate to be the one that draws criticisms, but I must say that I don't trust anymore installers downloaded from Sourceforge. Could you please put DOSBox windows releases in a .zip file?

Thanks.

It is an NSIS installer. I have seen the script and it is very basic. Just use 7zip if you don't trust it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 19 of 54, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

Thanks.

It's an understandable position based on the events of a few years' ago, but by all reports the NEW new owners of Sourceforge not only rolled back their "add adware" procedures and policies of a few years' ago but have also been putting effort into fixing the infrastructure and adding a bunch of features.

From 2016: https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83105.html

Things have progressed to the point that MAME has recently "kicked the tires" so to speak, and padded out its previous sparse placeholder entry: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mame. It's still early days, and Github remains MAME's main host, but at least now we're better prepared in case the Github/Microsoft deal goes all squirrelly. Not to mention, Sourceforge's network of mirrors is a bit more robust than Github's redundant servers.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto