VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First of all lat me say that aleksej inspired whit is post: "[WIP] Midget Riot: 486 PC in booksize industrial case." [WIP] Midget Riot: 486 PC in booksize industrial case.

So i started to google the sh*t out of ebay for reasonable price ( since i live in sweded and most part was in us the shipping price was a nightmare ) for something equal to aleksej setup since.. ye its space saving 😀

I ended up first geting a 486 sbc with AT backplane which the shipping price was reasonable since it was from greece and tought sure i can try to find a small case with backplane later on.

After a while i found something called Eaton Cutler Hammer NETLINK ( ye i bought all 3 netlink ebay had give by giving the sellers 50%+ less of the price they where asking for, which they all accepted 😀 ), which basicly is a industrial network pc which eaton has config to be a connection to ups's com interface. Problebly the way to go at that time when network interface wasnt a "thing" on ups..?

The inside didnt really intrest me that much after i recived a sbc that needed to be hard configured to resolution and made it hard to work with dos game in diffrent resolutions.

In between whit wast of money on many sbc/industrial pc stuff i found something called "Boser HS5210 HS-5210 Half Sized Socket 7 Extended ISA SBC" ( after aleksej told me that the other boards cant communicate with pci which i was a tard to understand at first 😉 )

So my journey started to find a backplane which could fit the industrial case from eaton that i already had laying around.
Finally i found one whit reasonable price from uk: Kontron PISA-2P3I4 5 Slot PISA Backplane (non RoHS), RoHS who needs that on backplane? 😜 The backplane gives me 2 pisa, 2 pci and one isa, and that is problebly everything needed to insert a 200 mmx with Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 and a orchid righteous 3dfx pci card, and ye i had to have a ide to cf for now, will problebly use a ide to sata with ssd disk later on. Also changed two of the fans to Noctua of course ( cpu fan to be changed to one also ).

And ending up with following result:

3dfx card to choose from:
IMG_0038.jpg

SBC:
IMG_0039.jpg

Backplane:
IMG_0040.jpg

Front:
IMG_0044.jpg

Front fan:
IMG_0041.jpg

Front, size matters:
IMG_0047.jpg

Back fan:
IMG_0043.jpg

Left side of case:
IMG_0042.jpg

Right side with air flow mounts:
IMG_0046.jpg

To do is to:
* check temperature 😉
* clean the case from stickers like windows embeded, netlink and so on.
* add hd led, reset button

And ye still waiting for my sound card to arrive any day now.... big shout-out to schenker for trying to for 3 weeks now....

Last edited by tabm0de on 2018-09-05, 19:08. Edited 3 times in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 7, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 2 of 7, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this is an eisa sbc and backplane? benchies please?

Reply 3 of 7, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:

this is an eisa sbc and backplane? benchies please?

Never done benchies so please tell if you want any specific, here is one.

E02_BFE1_A_F04_E_490_D_9_F70_2759_BD23_A1_C0.jpg

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 5 of 7, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool!

Why there is two "PISA" slots? You may use two PCI and one ISA card at one time, right? We will see some photos of 3dfx glory in action? 😉

Reply 6 of 7, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

very nice!!!

Thanks 😀

aleksej wrote:

Cool!

Why there is two "PISA" slots? You may use two PCI and one ISA card at one time, right? We will see some photos of 3dfx glory in action? 😉

Hehe im unsure why there is two pisa/extended isa or what ever it should be called 😀 another board i found on ebay was almoste the same but with one pci slot, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AAEON-BP-204PSA-Us … 3.c100033.m2042

My board also has "cpupisa1/2" labled on the slots, sadly since there is no room left i cant try two pci at once because the sbc takes alot of room with memory/cpu fan 😉

Im cleaning up the case alitel and need to do some temperature test and then i will put up a video of 3dfx in action 😀

naa, nothing yet...