VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blinddarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

it's been a long time ago that i've been logged in here.
A few years ago, i started a topic to fix an old game, called DIGGER to run on an old machine with Hercules Graphic Card, using CGA Emulation.
ripsaw8080 helped me to fix that by using a hex editor.
See:
Digger and Hercules Graphic, using CGA Emulation

Now, my Hardware has changed to a plain 386 Desktop PC, using a standard VGA Card.
Most of the games from my childhood working fine 😀
Some games need MOSLO to work correctly (i even purchased the latest Moslo Deluxe from the official website) and it works really fine 😀
But there is a small thing that don't like on CASTLE ADVENTURE from Kevin Bales.
When i was a kid, this was one of the very first games i played on a real IBM XT 5160, using a plain HERCULES Card, without any CGA Emulation.
The game was displayd in 80 column mode (half display on the left) and somehow i liked that mode.
Nowadays, on CGA (and above) cards, the game will displayed in standard 40 columns (fullscreen with "streched" symbols)
Also i miss the typical green color from that Monitor... the screen is typical b/w in VGA Monitors.

Is there any chance to hack/modify the EXE file to force the game to 80 columns and green (or maybe amber) color in VGA?
The game itself has only one "color" (standard textmode)

I dont have any experience to do this on my own, but may be someone can give me a hint (maybe by using a hex editor or something)

regards,
Norman

EDIT: sorry for my bad english 😢

Think Kilobyte

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I also remember Castle Adventure on a mono monitor, but in amber color. I have a set of tool programs I wrote that help to simulate the effect on VGA; however, they aren't easy for others to use, so I combined them into a simple TSR program. It forces 80-column text mode, switches to the 14-line font that is more consistent with mono, and sets the color. There is one program for green and a separate one for amber; they aren't fancy, and you'll have to restart the system to remove them from memory.

Filename
camono.zip
File size
398 Bytes
Downloads
74 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

BTW, I made a fix for the savegame bug in Castle Adventure that might be of interest to you: Castle Adventure exe packing type?

Reply 2 of 3, by blinddarm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wow, this is really cool, a million thanks for that 😎
Works really fine and gives me nearly the feeling of the old IBM PC 😊

IMG_20180910_0802094.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180910_0802094.jpg
File size
404.65 KiB
Views
File license

Also thanks for the hint with that Load/Save fix!
regards,
Norman

Think Kilobyte

Reply 3 of 3, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also don't enjoy playing 40-column games on VGA really... the default character set gets super-stretchy, ugly and difficult to read.

What I do is change the font. Here are a couple of programs to do that for 40-column text mode: one sets a font with thicker horizontal strokes (proportioned more like the CGA 40-column font), the other one sets a font with thinner vertical strokes (actually derived from the FM Towns). Both are much easier on the eyes than the default.

Filename
nicer-fonts-for-vga40col.zip
File size
3.61 KiB
Downloads
69 downloads
File comment
(Once you load one of these, you'll have to restart before you can load the other)
File license

some samples for the "NICER40C" font:

vga40col-nicer.png

and for "THIN40C":

vga40col-thin.png

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]