Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Thrift Store haul! […]
Show full quote

Thrift Store haul!

vAXOjvGm.jpg

That movie spectrum by Media Vision look interesting.
What is in the box ?
Photo please.

Reply 25121 of 52689, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Two Sound Blaster AWE64's

What other Turtle B. cards do you have ?

I just have a few.
One ISA and a few PCI.

Santa Cruz
Rio
Aureal Vortex-2
etc.

Reply 25122 of 52689, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

That movie spectrum by Media Vision look interesting.
What is in the box ?
Photo please.

Well, you did say please...

I will be making a video, where I pop her cherry to see the insides where I will also image the disks and hopefully manual for everyone. Complete with a gratuitous black couch scene...

Last time I sold something NIB like this the jerkoff refused to open it and share the info with the population at large. Never doing that again.

https://imgur.com/gallery/61YOVwT

Also, I was referring to vmunix. I saw his image just fine.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25123 of 52689, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a working FX 5800 Ultra for $15. I have no use for the card, and I actually hate it, but maybe I should buy it because it will get super rare?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25124 of 52689, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes,

Then sell the FX5800 on ebay for a big profit. I know it is unpopular to say such things, but I'd do the same thing in an instant if I didn't want the FX 5800 but could get one for $15.

Reply 25125 of 52689, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote:

Yes,

Then sell the FX5800 on ebay for a big profit. I know it is unpopular to say such things, but I'd do the same thing in an instant if I didn't want the FX 5800 but could get one for $15.

Oh well, grabbed it. I may end up selling it on Amibay or something, then using the proceeds to do this on Serdaco:

9e9.gif

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25126 of 52689, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

...I will also image the disks and hopefully manual for everyone.

Please make scans of the box as well like I did with the Cardinal SNAPplus. I went down to a local Staples for the box scans since my scanner was too small for that and it was cheap, but the results were excellent. Thanks LB.

Reply 25128 of 52689, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
This HP Pavilion 8480z Pentium II machine. […]
Show full quote

This HP Pavilion 8480z Pentium II machine.

k0qiYkOm.jpg

Ohhhh, Does it have a BIG foot hard-drive ?

Reply 25129 of 52689, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel Pentium-2 bunnies from year 1997.
I have some Giant ones too, Somewhere in my Garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0272.JPG
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-09-14, 16:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25130 of 52689, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone at work cancelled a meeting this morning, which gave me the time to drive south to pick up some stuff I'd been wanting for quite a while:
full.png

4x AOpen HQ-8 bigtowers. The seller used to rent stands at computer fairs, and usually sold about two pallets of these beasts every time. Then the main organizer of those fairs in NL went bankrupt and suddenly no more fairs were held. Worse, that was about the time everyone switched from beige to black or silver cases. So he's been sitting on his last two pallets of these for over a decade. Now he needs to refurbish his garage, so is selling them off for little more than the scrap metal value.

I don't need lots of bigtowers - I'm a fan of the smaller, the better and am even planning to move almost all my retro builds into a single chest of drawers to save space and provide a neat solution with just a CRT, keyboard, mouse and KVM switch showing. Now, chucking hardware into drawers isn't too hard, but getting proper support for expansion cards is a pain in the arse, certainly with my level of woodwork skills. So what I do need is motherboard trays, like the one in front. I've been looking for them online, but apart from idiotically priced 'workbench' setups with more frills than I need, they've been impossible to find. However the HQ-8 has exactly the tray here (taken from a badly beaten up case I picked up a few weeks back) - and it's eminently affordable too.

So... I'm going to commit sacrilege and scrap at least three of these cases for their trays. It's not as bad as it seems - I got four for the price of three as I offered to take any damaged or incomplete cases off his hands so long as they had the tray, and said I'd take whatever colour he had most trouble selling. Two are already incomplete and one of those pretty badly beaten up too. So net loss of decent case will only be one. And there are many, many more where that came from.

The two complete, good cases also have their PSUs in them, nice AOpen-branded FSP300-BN units (theoretically ATX2.03 compliant, complete with ATX12V cable - but still do 30A on the 5V line and only 15A on 12V, and have -5V and -12V) - pretty much the ideal pre-PCIe/SATA retro PSUs in other words 😀

Now, time to get unscrewing.

One question for you lot: I'm keeping one case pristine. Which front should I go for? The 'regular' AOpen purple-blue, the sickly mint green, or the iMac ripoff on the bezel I kept from the last of these cases I encountered?

Reply 25131 of 52689, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are cool looking cases.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25132 of 52689, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

One question for you lot: I'm keeping one case pristine. Which front should I go for? The 'regular' AOpen purple-blue, the sickly mint green, or the iMac ripoff on the bezel I kept from the last of these cases I encountered?

I'd go for the translucent iMac rip-off bezel, but that's just me. Even though those cases aren't your taste, I actually think they look cool.

Reply 25133 of 52689, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An hour's unscrewing, cannibalizing usable bits and despite general good build quality still managing to chop open my hands in various places later, and three of the four cases are no more. As for the bezels: turns out the coloured bit is detachable. So I've detached the green-ish and translucent ones, as well as a whole spare front. Looks like I can have my cake and eat it. Also the translucent one was smoky as hell (why does everyone with unusual hardware I might want to keep seem to be life-long chain smoker? 🙁 ) so chucked that into the dishwasher. Given past experience that's about the only thing that really gets the tar and smoke smells off without actually damaging the plastic. Once it's clean and dry, I'm fitting LEDs and buttons from the spare bezel (the originals smelled worse than the front...) and getting it ready to use with the final case.

Next dilemma: which system to build in it...

Reply 25134 of 52689, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
This HP Pavilion 8480z Pentium II machine. […]
Show full quote

This HP Pavilion 8480z Pentium II machine.

k0qiYkOm.jpg

Ohhhh, Does it have a BIG foot hard-drive ?

Not sure! We'll find out sometime next week.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 25136 of 52689, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:

4x AOpen HQ-8 bigtowers.

No other goodies from his place? 😀

Had a look around and spent some time reminiscing the good old days of big computer fairs - I almost certainly bought stuff from him back in the day. I was sorely tempted by a MediaGX board with socket (no CPU though) - but no, basically all the interesting stuff was already gone as you said (apparently most was bought in a single large batch by https://classiccomputershop.eu/). If someone was into AM2 and So775 stuff, things would be different though.

Reply 25137 of 52689, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:

4x AOpen HQ-8 bigtowers.

No other goodies from his place? 😀

Had a look around and spent some time reminiscing the good old days of big computer fairs - I almost certainly bought stuff from him back in the day. I was sorely tempted by a MediaGX board with socket (no CPU though) - but no, basically all the interesting stuff was already gone as you said (apparently most was bought in a single large batch by https://classiccomputershop.eu/). If someone was into AM2 and So775 stuff, things would be different though.

I have bought several lots of him, most of it from the early 00’s. When I first came there, early last year, almost all 90’s stuff (from his website) was already gone (did buy a NOS baby AT case and some PIII CPU’s). Most of the hardware I have bought were NOS white AOpen cases, which are all sold. He now only has a couple models left, a lot of them are black and/or silver, the remaining white ones are quite taste specific, so not very interesting for us.

I might go back one more time (I say that everytime 😊 ), because I see that some people are getting interested in Athlon / P4 stuff, maybe I buy some stuff to keep for myself, it’s still cheap, in 5 years this stuff might cost a lot too.

Reply 25138 of 52689, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATI 8514 Ultra (ATI Mach8, 1024 kB VRAM)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    196.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2.JPG
    Filename
    2.JPG