VOGONS

Reply 9780 of 27358, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got this in the mail yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuovo-con-Licenza-Do … j8AAOSwBARbP9B3

And tested it out today. It is working flawless in my Amiga500 Rev. 8a.1 as well as my Amiga600 Rev. 1.5
So I registered the dual kickrom to my name, and are thinking about, if it shall run in my 500 or 600.
If it is going into my Amiga500, then I will buy a second one for my 600.
The plan right now, is to use my kickstart 2.0 version 37.350 in my 500 for the 4gb HDD capeability.
Then I will have an original 1.3 and an original 2.0 (37.300) for future projects.

Or I will source an oldschool dual kickstart switcher with room for 2 rom chips.
That way, I can have 1.3 and 2.0 on my Amiga 500.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9781 of 27358, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

Last night I streamed The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean on Twitch. I cheated and used 86box.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDJGJdTPnI

What exactly are this Twitch thingy? For what I know, it is some kind of chat roulette.

Reply 9782 of 27358, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Last night I streamed The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean on Twitch. I cheated and used 86box.

What exactly are this Twitch thingy? For what I know, it is some kind of chat roulette.

It's a live streaming audio and video service that some YouTubers are using since YouTube deletes the live videos after the session is over, and chats are permitted on there as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9783 of 27358, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
brostenen wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

It's a live streaming audio and video service that some YouTubers are using since YouTube deletes the live videos after the session is over, and chats are permitted on there as well.

Ahh... Thanks for the clearup. 😀 I guess I am too old and my beard are too grey. 😁
Yeah. I don't even know how snapchat, twitter, instagram and whatsapp are working.
Never had any profile on those in my life. Though I did close my facebook account in 2014.
(resulting in some 10 or so people declaring, that they would never speak to me again)

Reply 9785 of 27358, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

I think that has changed.

Reply 9786 of 27358, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

I think that has changed.

Yeah the podcasts I watch have their videos up immediately after streaming, thats definitely not an issue.

Reply 9787 of 27358, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend recently wrote a simple game in MSX BASIC and sent me the code, so out of fun and curiosity I am attempting to port it to Atari BASIC on my 800XL. So far, I've gotten the program to run and it mostly works, however there's a few lines that are still giving me problems (mainly the level advancing prompt crashing the game). It's a fun exercise in learning BASIC, and pretty soon I'm going to take a crack at writing my own games. I'm also considering fixing my cassette drive and seeing if I could write this port to tape.

Attachments

• 20180913_225343.jpg
    Filename
    20180913_225343.jpg
    File size
    623.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20180914_022407.jpg
    Filename
    20180914_022407.jpg
    File size
    757.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180914_023112.jpg
    Filename
    20180914_023112.jpg
    File size
    799.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 9788 of 27358, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, the ATARI 800XL, my first computer.. Hope to get one some day.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9789 of 27358, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
286-12 DONE! Whew... that actually took way longer than I thought it would. On to the next one. […]
Show full quote

286-12 DONE! Whew... that actually took way longer than I thought it would. On to the next one.

That's old Betsy running a 286 friendly demoscene demo. I have an ESS ES1868F based audio card in there along with a 256K VGA card.

286-12_restored.jpg

Beautiful - well done on the restoration. This builds deserves its own thread!

Not enough love on Vogons for these old systems at the moment 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 9790 of 27358, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
liqmat wrote:
286-12 DONE! Whew... that actually took way longer than I thought it would. On to the next one. […]
Show full quote

286-12 DONE! Whew... that actually took way longer than I thought it would. On to the next one.

That's old Betsy running a 286 friendly demoscene demo. I have an ESS ES1868F based audio card in there along with a 256K VGA card.

286-12_restored.jpg

Beautiful - well done on the restoration. This builds deserves its own thread!

Not enough love on Vogons for these old systems at the moment 😀

Glad you like it. I don't need love from others to justify my hobby. It's all good. Desoldered the dead retrofitted lithium battery so the board will stay pristine. I don't know much about 286 boards since I skipped that generation so it was fun to explore. I went from 8088 to 68000 (Amiga/Atari ST) and then to 386 back in the 80s/early 90s.

I am not a collector. I just save them, restore these puppies and then try to find good homes for them where they will be appreciated. The fun for me is getting them thoroughly cleaned inside and out and back to excellent working condition. I also like learning and improving my skills in electronics. I must say my soldering skills have vastly improved over the last few years and so has my swearing. 🤣

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-09-14, 14:40. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9791 of 27358, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since I had a rather idle night yesterday, I did the cleaning, retrobrighting, repairs and restoration to original config for my Compaq Deskpro EP-DT.

Compaq_Deskpro_EP-_DT_01.jpg Compaq_Deskpro_EP-_DT_02.jpg

Compaq_Deskpro_EP-_DT_03.jpg Compaq_Deskpro_EP-_DT_04.jpg

It's not a particularly interesting system at all, just a regular i810 Pentium 3 office workhorse. When I got it (for next to nothing) it was too disgustingly filthy to even touch, reeked of cigarette smoke and had an inch of dust and in places mud all over on the inside. The original plan was to clean and sell it off, but as the dirt and grime came off I realized I came to like the thing.

It had a mostly fresh (and not original) Windows 98SE install with a few banking and farmacy applications, last used in 2005. There isn't any installed OEM bloatware but it does have crap like Norton Internet Security. I will uninstall the junk, update the drivers and move this system to my collection instead of selling it off.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9792 of 27358, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got around to testing a few motherboards I picked up over the last couple months. All are slot-based for maximum 1999 fun! 🤣 I used a QDIY PC-D008 test bench (Thanks Phil for the video!), a StarTech ATXPOWER 300, and a SINTECHI SD to IDE adapter with a 64GB SanDisk Extreme in place of a hard drive.

The first was a Gigabyte GA-6BXC Rev 1.9. It has the HIP6004ACB voltage regulator, so no Coppermine support, but you can never have enough backup 440BX boards. 🤣 It came in a lot of 8 as-is motherboards at a cost of around $2/each so I'm happy to have it. It needs a BIOS update to recognize Pentium III's and large hard disks, so I didn't bother booting to an OS on it this time around.

mobo_testing_ga6bxc_1.jpg
Filename
mobo_testing_ga6bxc_1.jpg
File size
229.8 KiB
Views
File license

Next up was an Intel VC820 board. The failure of intel to supply a solid 133 MHz FSB platform for the Pentium III has always been fascinating to me. So this board is really exciting to play with. 😎

mobo_testing_vc820_4.jpg
Filename
mobo_testing_vc820_4.jpg
File size
293.46 KiB
Views
File license
mobo_testing_vc820_2.jpg
Filename
mobo_testing_vc820_2.jpg
File size
254.35 KiB
Views
File license

I tested an ASUS K7M I've had lying around for years just to find out it's an HP OEM board. The non-standard I/O panel connections, lack of ISA slots, and missing DIMM slot should have been a clue. Some quick googling says it can't be flashed to the standard ASUS BIOS. Maybe I can swap the BIOS chip itself? Even if not it's a good backup. Slot A boards can be tough to come by.

Finally, a Slot A Gigabyte GA-7IX (Rev 1.1) which also came in the as-is lot I mentioned above. I was REALLY hoping this one would work. Annnnnnnd SUCCESS! Now I don't have to rely on the HP-branded ASUS K7M 😁

mobo_testing_ga7ix_4.jpg
Filename
mobo_testing_ga7ix_4.jpg
File size
235.9 KiB
Views
File license
mobo_testing_ga7ix_3.jpg
Filename
mobo_testing_ga7ix_3.jpg
File size
306.43 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9793 of 27358, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cj_reha wrote:

A friend recently wrote a simple game in MSX BASIC and sent me the code, so out of fun and curiosity I am attempting to port it to Atari BASIC on my 800XL. So far, I've gotten the program to run and it mostly works, however there's a few lines that are still giving me problems (mainly the level advancing prompt crashing the game). It's a fun exercise in learning BASIC, and pretty soon I'm going to take a crack at writing my own games. I'm also considering fixing my cassette drive and seeing if I could write this port to tape.

The Crystal Pepsi is a nice touch 🤣

Reply 9794 of 27358, by Doomn00b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've spent the day reading up on old graphics engines, game engines, utilities, the first 8086 micro-processors, DOS, and a whole host of stuff that's just making my HEAD spin! : o

Trying to learn enough to one day be able to make a source-port for a classic game, but DAMN! This is really, really complicated and hard stuff... yikes!

Reply 9795 of 27358, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Glad you like it. I don't need love from others to justify my hobby. It's all good. Desoldered the dead retrofitted lithium battery so the board will stay pristine. I don't know much about 286 boards since I skipped that generation so it was fun to explore. I went from 8088 to 68000 (Amiga/Atari ST) and then to 386 back in the 80s/early 90s.

I am not a collector. I just save them, restore these puppies and then try to find good homes for them where they will be appreciated. The fun for me is getting them thoroughly cleaned inside and out and back to excellent working condition. I also like learning and improving my skills in electronics. I must say my soldering skills have vastly improved over the last few years and so has my swearing. 🤣

This is almost me. I had a C64 and worked on a CP/M and a few other machines, then a 386 (which I wish I still have, though I have a few motherboards). I can't find a decent AT clone (would love a late 286 desktop) to save my life, apart from very expensive ebay machines. I used to have a Wang PC and a Compaq luggable and sold them for pittances years ago (sad).

I and I forgot the IBM System 6, but I was literally just a kid poking keys on that one, I didn't do anything with it.

I'm not an *organized* collector, this is just my train set. I "restored" some horribly dirty Mac clones and have a Kaypro IV I need to check caps on (worked last time I touched it, in beautiful condition, I actually used this specific machine first when I was about 12 years old), and a completely disassembled powermac that needs to go back together, after the eMac leaves my bench.

Again, it's my train set, it's what I do to feel like I accomplished something and keep me sane-ish. 😀

P.S. The eMac had a glorious rebirth, for a few minutes. A component died then and I can start it but the logic board is not responding, so I think it's a mosfet that looks like it overheated (pretty sure that's new) and/or the "new" down converter board wasn't up to the task. Will have to replace those later, off the bench it goes!

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9796 of 27358, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Merovign wrote:
This is almost me. I had a C64 and worked on a CP/M and a few other machines, then a 386 (which I wish I still have, though I ha […]
Show full quote
liqmat wrote:

This is almost me. I had a C64 and worked on a CP/M and a few other machines, then a 386 (which I wish I still have, though I have a few motherboards). I can't find a decent AT clone (would love a late 286 desktop) to save my life, apart from very expensive ebay machines. I used to have a Wang PC and a Compaq luggable and sold them for pittances years ago (sad).

I and I forgot the IBM System 6, but I was literally just a kid poking keys on that one, I didn't do anything with it.

I'm not an *organized* collector, this is just my train set. I "restored" some horribly dirty Mac clones and have a Kaypro IV I need to check caps on (worked last time I touched it, in beautiful condition, I actually used this specific machine first when I was about 12 years old), and a completely disassembled powermac that needs to go back together, after the eMac leaves my bench.

Again, it's my train set, it's what I do to feel like I accomplished something and keep me sane-ish. 😀

P.S. The eMac had a glorious rebirth, for a few minutes. A component died then and I can start it but the logic board is not responding, so I think it's a mosfet that looks like it overheated (pretty sure that's new) and/or the "new" down converter board wasn't up to the task. Will have to replace those later, off the bench it goes!

There are plenty of machines I regret selling and it's part of the love, hate relationship I have with this hobby. I also restored a Kaypro 4 and their floppy drives can be a challenge sometimes. Here's a pic when I was done:

Kaypro 4.jpg
Filename
Kaypro 4.jpg
File size
483.23 KiB
Views
File license

I must say, though, Commodore PET machines I mostly want to avoid as they can be a real pain in the brain from what I have been reading over at vcfed.org. An example:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?644 … both-don-t-work

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-09-15, 03:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9798 of 27358, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

There are plenty of machines I regret selling and it's part of the love, hate relationship I have with this hobby. I also restored a Kaypro 4 and their floppy drives can be a challenge sometimes. Here's a pic when I was done:

I must say, though, Commodore PET machines I mostly want to avoid as they can be a real pain in the brain from what I have been reading over at vcfed.org. An example:

I am lucky to have areas I'm not even interested in, like the PET, and therefore I can safely walk past them (not that any ever show up around here).

But here's a small hint of something going on my bench shortly, which is pretty mint and worked perfectly the last time I ran it, inlcuding both drives:

Kaypro_Tease.jpg
Filename
Kaypro_Tease.jpg
File size
139.06 KiB
Views
File license

As I mentioned, I used this very system as early as 1984. Often I'm not that nostalgic, but in this case I am. I want to at least examine the caps before starting it again, though.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9799 of 27358, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i will never turn down a retro system if the price is reasonable. There is always someone local who will want it. I work with a guy here in Denver, anything Commodore or Amiga, I send his way. (Like that NIB Vic 20). He in turn has found for me a IBM model 80.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.