VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this game off ebay and the main part installed ok but the Balance of Power cd is asking for a password. Either I'm blind or dense but can't find it anywhere on the cd's or case. If this game came with a big manual where the password resides I guess I'm sunk. Anyone care to shed some light on this please?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing Balance of Power: Copy Protection Issues
In order to minimize the amount of disk swapping you will have to do when starting the game, we recommend that you ALWAYS start Balance of Power with the original X-Wing vs.TIE Fighter CD in your CD-ROM drive. The game will always check for the X-Wing vs.TIE Fighter CD, but you will be prompted to insert the Balance of Power CD only occasionally. We also recommend that you choose to do a full install of Balance of Power so that you will not be prompted for the CD every time you reach a cutscene.

Is it possible that you are trying to start the game with the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter Multiplayer Disc (as opposed to the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter Master Disc)? Maybe the password prompt is for your Windows Networking instead of Balance of Power.

I checked my Balance of Power package, and there is no password anywhere nor is one mentioned in the CD-ROM sized manual. The CD-ROM has an ID number 7091830.

Reply 2 of 4, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

Playing Balance of Power: Copy Protection Issues
In order to minimize the amount of disk swapping you will have to do when starting the game, we recommend that you ALWAYS start Balance of Power with the original X-Wing vs.TIE Fighter CD in your CD-ROM drive. The game will always check for the X-Wing vs.TIE Fighter CD, but you will be prompted to insert the Balance of Power CD only occasionally. We also recommend that you choose to do a full install of Balance of Power so that you will not be prompted for the CD every time you reach a cutscene.

Is it possible that you are trying to start the game with the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter Multiplayer Disc (as opposed to the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter Master Disc)? Maybe the password prompt is for your Windows Networking instead of Balance of Power.

I checked my Balance of Power package, and there is no password anywhere nor is one mentioned in the CD-ROM sized manual. The CD-ROM has an ID number 7091830.

I'm at work right now but see attached photo of version I have. What I did was install disc 1 and then after that went ok tried to install disc 2 but after hitting "next" via the intro screen it's wanting a password. I'll check the disk no.'s when I get home, maybe instead of the "core" game I got a multi-player only/balance of power flavor. Thanks for chiming in.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    383.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My comments in the previous post were based on the original X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and Balance of Power releases. The original X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter had two discs, a Master disc and a Multiplayer disc. The Balance of Power release had the single disc with ID 7091830 that I mentioned before.

I also (apparently) do own the same release you have which combines X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and Balance of Power in a single package. It has two discs with IDs 2088130 (Master Game Disc) and 2088131 (Balance of Power Campaigns). Photos are attached of the cover and both disks for comparison. I bought this package new, so I know this represents the original package contents.

I installed the release matching your version on a Windows 98 SE machine, and I don't get any request for a password during installation of the Balance of Power Campaigns disc. So does your package have the same discs? Are you installing on another version of Windows?

Attachments

• 18091302.JPG
    Filename
    18091302.JPG
    File size
    132.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter/Balance of Power Campaigns Disc 2
    File license
  • 18091301.JPG
    Filename
    18091301.JPG
    File size
    144.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter/Balance of Power Campaigns Disc 1
    File license
  • 18091300.JPG
    Filename
    18091300.JPG
    File size
    136.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter/Balance of Power Campaigns Cover
    File license

Reply 4 of 4, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Akula65, Hooyah!!! Finally figured out the problem. My Saitek 750 gamepad software had Installshield on it and for some reason the game was causing it to fire up and ask for password. What tipped me off was I tried to install the 3DFX game patch and it popped up again. Long story short I just disabled the Saitek program (for startup) and now all is fine. For the record this was on my Win98 rig so watch out for the gamepad software that has installshield along with it. Thanks for the feedback!