VOGONS

Reply 120 of 264, by noop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artigkar wrote:

Yet somehow the driver for OPL3LPT is not working with adlib, dunno what the issue is here. Any ideas?

This was discussed in OPL2LPT thread. In order to not break many games, driver introduces artificial delays that are often too excessive for some of these games.

Reply 121 of 264, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noop wrote:
Artigkar wrote:

Yet somehow the driver for OPL3LPT is not working with adlib, dunno what the issue is here. Any ideas?

This was discussed in OPL2LPT thread. In order to not break many games, driver introduces artificial delays that are often too excessive for some of these games.

You can try the nopatch option in the TSR ?

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 122 of 264, by Artigkar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying the nopatch option now. First attempt with Pinball Fantasies is unsuccessfull 🙁

Sound was set to maximum quality in setsound and the game is quite slowed down still.
On the plus side the sound seems to be slightly less slower than before on that quality setting, game is still a slideshow.
I will try lowering the sound quality for the second attempt.

Reply 123 of 264, by Artigkar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, it turns out turning down sound quality made the game run normal.
I did not expect the adlib to be more demanding than covox for this game 😲

Anyway, I am happy with this card so far 😀

Reply 124 of 264, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The method for generating digital sounds on an Adlib is more resource intensive than a simple Covox. On the Covox, you can just send the bytes of your sample to the DAC. On the Adlib, you have to program a chip that is designed to produced modulated sine waves into a state which it can output a user-defined waveform. Additionally, you have to account for the delays inherent in writing to the chip, it can only accept data so fast.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 125 of 264, by custm42435

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote:
custm42435 wrote:

I ordered my OPL3LPT and have it on its way to me now. Do you have the files available for the case to 3d print? I was going to print my own in blue when it arrives. Plan on using this on my PS/2 line of computers where a Microchannel sound card is out of the question due to the extreme prices for a MCA soundcard. My PS/2 P70 waits patiently for it 🤣

Wow blue will be nice on your PS/2. In attachment you find the STL file (for your personal use).
Looking forward to a photo of the result in this thread 😀

Just received mine in today and getting used to it and patching games. I take it so far it doesn't work correctly with monkey island? Lol sounds were all messed up 🤣 but wolfenstein worked good after the patch. Is there any functionality of this in Win 3.1? I tried installing Adlib drivers in 3.1 but got nothing after i installed them. Thanks for the 3d file for the case! i will print one off as soon as i get a spool of blue in. (it's on the way) 😉

There was one game i tried setting to normal soundblaster since it didnt have adlib as an option but it wouldnt finish setup because i had no set blaster commands in autoexec.bat. Do i need to add a "SET BLASTER" command for this at all?
One other thing i can confirm is that it DOES work when plugged in to the passthrough port of a backpack parallel port cd-rom drive which is where mine is being used since the PS/2 P70 didn't come with a cd-rom drive and i wanted to try to add one and see if it would work.

Reply 126 of 264, by Artigkar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
custm42435 wrote:
Just received mine in today and getting used to it and patching games. I take it so far it doesn't work correctly with monkey is […]
Show full quote
dreamblaster wrote:
custm42435 wrote:

I ordered my OPL3LPT and have it on its way to me now. Do you have the files available for the case to 3d print? I was going to print my own in blue when it arrives. Plan on using this on my PS/2 line of computers where a Microchannel sound card is out of the question due to the extreme prices for a MCA soundcard. My PS/2 P70 waits patiently for it 🤣

Wow blue will be nice on your PS/2. In attachment you find the STL file (for your personal use).

Just received mine in today and getting used to it and patching games. I take it so far it doesn't work correctly with monkey island? Lol sounds were all messed up 🤣 but wolfenstein worked good after the patch. Is there any functionality of this in Win 3.1? I tried installing Adlib drivers in 3.1 but got nothing after i installed them. Thanks for the 3d file for the case! i will print one off as soon as i get a spool of blue in. (it's on the way) 😉

There was one game i tried setting to normal soundblaster since it didnt have adlib as an option but it wouldnt finish setup because i had no set blaster commands in autoexec.bat. Do i need to add a "SET BLASTER" command for this at all?
One other thing i can confirm is that it DOES work when plugged in to the passthrough port of a backpack parallel port cd-rom drive which is where mine is being used since the PS/2 P70 didn't come with a cd-rom drive and i wanted to try to add one and see if it would work.

Was it Monkey Island 1 you tested? That game should work with the TSR driver, not sure about the patcher though.

Reply 127 of 264, by custm42435

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the sounds were all messed up with Monkey island 1. like a garbled mess of off-key notes etc. Wolf3d sounded like that before patching it. After running the patch Wolf3d sounded perfect.

Reply 129 of 264, by Artigkar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
custm42435 wrote:
CIV 1 garbled mess Dune no sound doom no sound keen4 garbled mess stunts garbled mess […]
Show full quote

CIV 1 garbled mess
Dune no sound
doom no sound
keen4 garbled mess
stunts garbled mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhjvT4SeyQ&feature=youtu.be

Ok, does the garbled mess sound similar to what you hear in the first test in this video?
Seems he managed to fix it.
From the video description:
"A bit of investigation by sayjionix on Vogons.org found a 1k pullup resistor is needed between pin 1 and +5v on some old PCs!
Now I have OPL2 Adlib goodness on this classic PC 😀"

Reply 130 of 264, by custm42435

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

<Solved Guys, use good USB power and not cheap EBAY ONES!> Even after adding the resistor i still get the same results. OPL2Test works fine as well as only a couple of games but most games still sound like that yes. and i am using the same machine as in the video. other computer i tried works fine though on. maybe higher resistance is needed? Making a video now will post a link when it is finished uploading to youtube.

Last edited by custm42435 on 2018-09-16, 19:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 131 of 264, by custm42435

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

<Solved> Here is the video of how it is acting on mine. When i first got it in, it wouldnt work when plugged straight in to the P70 same as the above video until the resistor mod. BUT when it was plugged in to the backpack cdrom it would work on some games but not others before doing the mod. Evidently the backpack cdrom added the needed resistance. Since the resistor was added it will work in either the port on the P70 or the backpack on some games but still not others. Dreamblaster even had me try adlib jukebox on it and it was garbled as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtRihoZFCE&l … scxVFfw&index=1

Last edited by custm42435 on 2018-09-16, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 133 of 264, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
custm42435 wrote:

Could it be possible that the resistor only takes care of half the problem and another mod is needed on another pin to complete?

investigation started

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 134 of 264, by custm42435

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems we now have it solved. After the original pullup mod the next problem was the cheap ass USB supply i was using 🤣 All games working fine now.. =D On a positive note while i was messing with the P70 i upgraded the CPU from a 386DX-20 to a 486DLC-33 so it is a little faster now =) Still only running at 20 mhz though until i can find a 66mhz Xtal to replace the 40mhz one on the motherboard.

Reply 135 of 264, by gpyra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could someone please post comparison of OPL2LPT and OPL3LPT devices? What pros and cons each has.
I don't have any of these devices yet, but at first look I would come with following. Please correct me where I'm wrong:
1. manufacturing technology
opl2lpt
pros: seems to easier to repair due to standard components and soldering technique
cons: capacitors will degrade in future
opl3lpt
pros: device is smaller, capacitors will not degrade?
cons: smd components so device repair is probably troublesome
2. synthesis sound chip
opl2lpt
pros: matches adlib card
cons: opl2 is worser than opl3, sound is mono only?
opl3lpt
pros: has better chip
cons: not sure if commercial dos games will be able to use opl3 features, because there were no pure opl3 soundcard, both adlib gold and sound blaster 16 had pcm capabilites, so games may have issues when trying opl3 mode (so trying to probe soundblaster 16 / adlib gold), right? what about stereo support?
3. software support
Should be similar, though I've heard that opl2 is more sensitive to delays? Please correct here.

Last edited by gpyra on 2018-09-26, 06:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 136 of 264, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

opl2lpt caps won't leak in the future, we are not in 2000 were all those defective caps were manufactured 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 137 of 264, by gpyra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

opl2lpt caps won't leak in the future, we are not in 2000 were all those defective caps were manufactured 😀

Corrected, thanks 😊 But these are electrolytes, so they will degrade in future. What about capacitors used in OPL3LPT?
More important thing here, are there any commercial dos games that will play true stereo on OPL3LPT?

Reply 138 of 264, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt they will ever leak tbh, it's not like these caps are on a power rail feeding the system so they get stressed. Plus they are not Fun-Yu ones 🤣
Yeah don't worry about them, that's my advice.
I have no idea if there are games with stereo opl3 music, would be good to know.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 139 of 264, by custm42435

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote:
custm42435 wrote:

I finally got the Blue in and printed 2 cases for it. Also changed the LED's out on the 2 I have to blue to match.

IMG_20181024_215013.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181024_215013.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20181024_215013.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181024_215013.jpg
File size