VOGONS

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a known shutdown bug with the last NVidia driver (v81.98) for Windows 98 Second Edition (http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html). There is a beta driver v82.69 floating around as well which also has the shutdown bug. Basically if you install this driver in Windows 98 SE and then try to shutdown the computer the shutdown sequence will start, but then just sit at a black screen forcing you to hit the power button. Scandisk will run on the next boot. Windows 98 SE will not reboot into MS-DOS mode from the shutdown menu either and just sit at a black screen as well. After some searching I ran across a forum where a developer actually took the time to code a patch for this problem and it works well except one minor flaw (still wont reboot into DOS mode from the shutdown menu). He coded a patch utility with four different patch methods that you can try. Patch method 3 (Full (C)) worked for my vintage Gateway 450 system and now Windows 98 SE powers down the computer at shutdown.

The MS-DOS reboot still hangs at a black screen, but that is easily rectified by making a shortcut to a PIF file for DOS which I prefer anyway since you can customize the autoexec.bat and config.sys in the PIF file properties page. The MS-DOS PIF file ("exit to dos.pif") can be found under your c:\windows directory and then just right click the file and click on properties where you can set the autoexec.bat and config.sys reboot parameters just like in DOS. Make a shortcut to the PIF file and now you can easily reboot into a customized DOS environment from Windows 98 SE. This a better solution than the Windows 98 SE shutdown menu MS-DOS boot method anyways.

You will need to reboot after applying the patch and then try the shutdown from there.

Latest build of ShutdownPatcher:

https://my.cloudme.com/#drugwash/mytools/ShutdownPatcher

Forum topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174096-nvidia … r-shutdown-fix/

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-07-07, 12:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well thank you for the info and to the developer !

I tried it with 81.98 under Windows 98 SE (6600GT) . Shutdown already works on this machine without a patch . Exit to DOS does not, even with the pif file you mentioned (PC simply shuts down).

The Safe option made Exit to DOS generate a Windows protection error, even with the pif method .

The full option made Exit to DOS work (even from the Start menu) . However, restarting Windows from this prompt generates a Windows protection error (minor issue for me).

This is a significant improvement .

Reply 2 of 18, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once you double click on the PIF file you customize, your computer should reboot into your DOS environment that you set in that PIF file. Overall, I have found version 77.72 works much better than 81.98 anyways. Much more stable. I found 81.98 crashed some of my stock Win 98SE screensavers, would not shutdown properly, would not boot into DOS mode and crashes when you try to uninstall it. IMO 81.98 is probably the sloppiest official release driver NVidia has ever produced. Version 77.72 had none of these problems and actually has slightly better performance for me. So I only use 77.72 now. I just thought it was interesting someone took the time to code a patch for the 81.98 shutdown problem. From the looks of it, development has stopped on the Shutdown Patcher since there has not been an update in a couple of years. Since NVidia has removed some of their earlier driver downloads here is a link to 77.72 that I used.

http://download.cnet.com/NVIDIA-ForceWare-77- … 8_4-102620.html

Reply 4 of 18, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote:

The pif really gave me the same results as the Start Menu option .

Thanks for info about 77.72 . I will give it a spin .

Let me know how 77.72 works out for you. I had great results.

Reply 5 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure what driver version I'm running but over the years I've found Win98 without any updates shuts down fine.
It's not till you start applying hotfixes that shutdown breaks, Not sure about dos mode though, I only use the pif method as well

Reply 6 of 18, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

Not sure what driver version I'm running but over the years I've found Win98 without any updates shuts down fine.
It's not till you start applying hotfixes that shutdown breaks, Not sure about dos mode though, I only use the pif method as well

Yeah, according to the developer of the Shutdown Patcher that I linked above he found the problem in v81.98 as he describes in the forum. I reinstalled Win98 SE and tracked down the problem specifically to v81.98. Win98 SE shutdown fine until that driver was applied. There was also an unofficial v82.69 Nvidia beta driver floating around as well with the same problem. v77.72 really solved all my problems. Games run great and all the problems evaporated that v81.98 introduced on my vintage system. I also applied the unofficial SP3 pack (a collection of old online Win98 SE MS SP updates) that someone put together and have had no problems with that either. My biggest issue with my particular system is the DVD drive reads commercial discs no problem, but CD-R media it reads about half the time. I even dug up a firmware update for the drive and it didn't help. Luckily the USB mass storage add-on driver for Win98SE works fantastic and so I just attach an external USB drive as a workaround.

Unofficial Windows 98 SE SP3:

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/

USB mass storage driver for Windows 98 FE and SE:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Reply 8 of 18, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using the latest Nvidia driver as well and had weird shutdown issues, especially if i install a driver and it tells me to reset. Also Need for speed games like High Stakes and Porsche unleashed dont work with the latest drivers too. I ended up downgrading to 56.64 and my computer is running perfectly now. And all the NFS games work fine with hardware acceleration.

Reply 9 of 18, by Chanaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I had the same problem with 81.85! (with Geforce 6200 PCI) But all the games I have worked (except NFS PU, hit play -> crash)! Anyway after reading this thread, changed to 77.72 yesterday and the shutdown problem is gone!! 😀 Again however NFS PU lost all text in menus!

Retro#1|IBM PC300|PIII 733Mhz|Geforce 6200 PCI|512MB RAM|SB0100|Windows 98 SE
Retro#2|PIII 1.4Ghz|Radeon 9700|512MB RAM|Intel D815EEA2|SB0100|Windows XP Home
Retro#3|IBM A30|P4 2.6Ghz|Geforce 5500 PCI|1GB RAM|Windows XP Home

Reply 12 of 18, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
mhoney71 wrote:

Anyone have an updated link to the Shutdown Patcher for the 81.98 Nvidia Drivers?

I'll dig around my backup drive files and post it here. I have the file somewhere.

Here you go while liqmat finds his file, i'll keep it up for a while.

http://dottoss.com/files/software/ShutdownPatcher_1.5.2.2.7z

Last edited by dottoss on 2019-05-22, 16:17. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 14 of 18, by mhoney71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The reason the Nvidia 82.69 driver is so called BETA isn't because it wasn't a finished driver, it's because NVidia released it after they has stopped official support for Windows 98. Version 82.69 does nothing more than add 1680x1050 and 1440x900 to the supported resolutions.

Here's a link to the support ticket from NVidia discussing the issue (https://web.archive.org/web/20170829022454/ht … and-1680-x-1050)

Reply 15 of 18, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just want to chime in with my own experience on this topic. I recently obtained a BFG 256MB PCI Geforce 6200 OC and tried it with the 81.98 driver. My system runs Win98SE with the unofficial SP 3.56. First I noticed the scattered lines artifacts mentioned in NV forums. I did indeed have the hanging problem when attempting to shutdown. In addition, I found that some of the 3D screen savers such as pipes and flower box were broken. Finaly, testing a 3D acclerated game, I started MechWarrior2 Titanium and had a lot of flicker on the bottom-left hud square and the Escape key menu.
While using the 81.98 I did figure out the solution to the "lines". I noticed they only appeared over the space occupied by a wallpaper. Enabling Active Desktop solved that problem. After dropping to the 77.72 driver everything works; however, the "lines" will appear if Active Desktop is not enabled.

Reply 16 of 18, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone have a copy of this ShutdownPatcher? I need it for a 6600 PCI-E build. I can kind of live with just restarting the computer and turning it off at the POST screen, but I'd prefer not to.

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 17 of 18, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
holdencars11 wrote on 2021-06-17, 14:07:

Anyone have a copy of this ShutdownPatcher? I need it for a 6600 PCI-E build. I can kind of live with just restarting the computer and turning it off at the POST screen, but I'd prefer not to.

Attachments

Reply 18 of 18, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! I'm going to try this out, then maybe try the 66.XX series drivers which it seems from some posts can be forced to run on PCI-E 6600/LE cards.

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.