VOGONS

First post, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently added a second sound card to my setup -- Yamaha YMF719-S. Prior to this card, all of my sound went out my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 via the digital out. I want to be able to use the Sound Blaster in Windows and the Yamaha in DOS. Though, in DOS, I'd like the sound to ultimate to go out the digital out on the Sound Blaster -- I assumed I would have to go out the 3.5 mm on the Yahama and into the 3.5 mm on the Sound Blaster. To be clear, all of my current questions are about Windows -- I will explore DOS later.

Since adding the Yamaha, I still get sound out of the digital out on the Sound Blaster -- even when I switch the Preferred Device to OPL3-SA Playback under Multimedia Properties. The only sound I get out of the 3.5 mm connector on the back of the Yamaha is hissing.

Questions

1. Is the sound really being processed via the Yamaha when I've set the Preferred Device to OPL3-SA?
  2. How do I get the sound out of the 3.5 mm jack on the Yamaha?
  3. Is there a way to connect the CD Audio out of my DVD ROM into this card?
  4. I assume the 26-pin connector is for the Wavetable Daughterboard. What are the other pins/connectors for?

Hardware

1. Motherboard - DFI CA64 REV.A1 SOCKET 370 VIA Apollo Pro133A
  2. Primary Video Card - NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro 64MB DDR AGP 4x DVI
  3. 3D Accelerators - 2 x Creative Labs 3DFX Voodoo 2Voodoo 12MB
  4. 1st Sound Card - PCI Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (SB0060)
  5. 2nd Sound Card - ISA Yamaha YMF719E-S

Software

1. Windows 98 SE (4.10.2222 A)
  2. USB Mass Storage Device Drivers
  3. DirectX 9.0c
  4. Sound Blaster (Live! Series) Drivers
  5. nVidia 71.84 Win9x
  6. Yamaha OPL3SAX v. 4.06.2343 Wind9x

Pictures
Multimedia Properties
multimedia.properties.png
System Properties
system.properties.png
Yamaha Front
yamaha.ymf719.front.jpg
Yamaha Back
yamaha.ymf719.back.jpg

Last edited by w0lf42 on 2019-01-26, 18:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Part of the reason for hissing is how the volume sliders are laid out in Windows mixer and in SETUPSA utilities. The 0db points of the input lines are at the very first notch in Windows mixer and not at the top. Moving sliders to top will cause up to +12db boost which will also boost any noise. Worst offender is the Synth/MIDI input which is very noisy due to OPL3 DAC inside the chip not being anything great.
Master, Wave and Software WT should be set to max, Synth, Line, Mono in, CD and Mic should be set to first notch and all unused inputs muted. This will provide best SNR.
In pure DOS you'll want to use my SETYMF utility instead of SETUPSA as it provides much more control and is more user friendly, you can find it here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC

Other reason is that you most probably have sound output going through the speaker amp, which will be very noisy too. There's two jumpers in top corner which will select if the sound is direct (Line out) or through the amplifier (speaker out).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 9, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those who are interested, I was able to figure out what the two 4-pin connectors at the top of the card are (LGRG and LGGR). These are the CD audio in. It looks there were two standards.
L = Left
G = Ground
R = Right

The 4-pin CD audio cable (MPC2 -- Multimedia Personal Computer 2) that is connected between my DVD-ROM and Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 is wired for LGGR. (The white wire is Left, black is Ground, and red is Right).

Reply 4 of 9, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I'm able to to verify that the sound is being processed by the Yamaha in both DOS and Windows 98, I don't know what kind of magic that took place, but I do get sound out of the 3.5mm jack.

I am also able to connect the CD Audio out of the DVD ROM into the 4-pin LGGR connector.

And, yes, it looks like the 26-pin connector is for the Wavetable Daughterboard.

More Questions
In Windows 98, I'm able to process the sound on the Yamaha and send it out via the line-out into the line-in on the Sound Blaster.

In DOS, I'm either only getting sound out of the Yamaha or both. But, not able to get sound out of the Yamaha and pass through the Sound Blaster.

The Yamaha drivers were installed in Windows 98 and the card works fine when I "Restart in DOS".
The Sound Blaster drivers needs to be initialized in DOS in order for it to work. I'm using the drivers posted on Phil's Computer Lab.

How do I replicate my Windows 98 setup -- allowing the sound to be processed via the Yahama and passed through the Sound Blaster?

Why Am I Doing This?
Ultimately, I want to have my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 handle sound in Windows and my Yahama handle sound in DOS. But, I only want one speaker connection. If I can pass through to the Sound Blaster in DOS, I won't have to switch inputs on my external speaker.

Reply 5 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
w0lf42 wrote:

How do I replicate my Windows 98 setup -- allowing the sound to be processed via the Yahama and passed through the Sound Blaster?

You need to use Sound Blaster Live's DOS mixer utility and mute all channels for that card except Line In

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 9, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

w0lf42, if you need only one input you may use Creative's DOS driver and mixer. It enables CD IN. But you'll must load this TSR with EMM386 always. My mixer can work with Creative's TSR driver or without it, with EMM386 or without it, can enable/disable ANY input and route it to ANY output (dig/analog), even (for example) so:
# LINE IN2 ---> 45% VOLUME FRONT OUT, 23% VOLUME REAR OUT
# CD SPDIF ---> 100% VOLUME REAR OUT, 10% VOLUME FRONT OUT
# WAVE ---> 80% VOLUME FRONT OUT, 0% VOLUME (MUTE) REAR OUT
- and all this simultaneously, any front-rear fade panorama is possible separately for different channels. Note that AC97 input channels are routing only together because they are ONE input digital channel for EMU10k (see schemes Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy).

Reply 8 of 9, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any way to have both the ac97 line and ac97 cd on? I'd really like to have two analog inputs.

As far as I can tell, I can turn on line:
ek1m -as line
or turn on cd:
ek1m -as cd
But not both.

Thanks

Reply 9 of 9, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some more reading the documentation and trying options. I'm sure I'll refine this, but this works.

ek1m -b
ek1m -as mix
ek1m -ai aux 100
ek1m -ai line 100
ek1m -ai cd 100
ek1m -io ac97 100 100 100 100 100 100

Thank you again for this software!