VOGONS

Reply 10080 of 27364, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I definitely scan drives on a newer computer with an adapter, dock, etc. Or just the fastest machine with an IDE port somewhere.

I also use various utilities from Hiren's, like Victoria, or the manufacturer's software if I have it.

I just did a stack of drives I'd got mixed up and had four dead ones - not entirely sure if any of them died in storage, but I know two of them had gone bad in use.

Fried my mini-IDE adapter on the last drive because it was designed by a monkey, and not a clever one. Need to fix it and then improve the design so it can't short out again, then I'll post something if the fix works out, because it seems to be the default cheap ebay design, and it's flawed.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 10081 of 27364, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought I'd make a PC for Morrowind. It's got a Pentium 4 1.8GHz Northwood, 512MB DDR RAM, MX440 running Windows 98. I might upgrade it to a 4200ti which is reasonably priced on eBay.

Except I accidentally put a 2.4GHz Northwood in their instead and only found out when I ran CPU-Z. Eugh... Not sure I can be bothered to change it.

edit - this is going well 🙁

0CEVycPl.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 10083 of 27364, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

That looks like an issue with your 2D card not your Voodoo.

Yeah, it is. But that wasn't my question. My question is: What caused it to be like that, because beforehand it was working perfectly? Or are you saying that it was neither the passthrough nor the Voodoo1, but the 2D card in how it handled the V1?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10084 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What it could be is the pass through cable wasn't standard or meant for the VooDoo1 to get hooked up to the 2D card you have.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10085 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote:
I thought I'd make a PC for Morrowind. It's got a Pentium 4 1.8GHz Northwood, 512MB DDR RAM, MX440 running Windows 98. I might u […]
Show full quote

I thought I'd make a PC for Morrowind. It's got a Pentium 4 1.8GHz Northwood, 512MB DDR RAM, MX440 running Windows 98. I might upgrade it to a 4200ti which is reasonably priced on eBay.

Except I accidentally put a 2.4GHz Northwood in their instead and only found out when I ran CPU-Z. Eugh... Not sure I can be bothered to change it.

edit - this is going well 🙁

0CEVycPl.jpg

Ahhhh!!! Of course. That brings back memories. The dungeon with the really bad wallpaper.

Reply 10086 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

USB 3.0 ide converters are your friend here. I will just blow the drive away with a wipe program, while I do other things on my main system.

That said, it doesn't usually like the pre-ata33 ide drives. But that's a rare issue for me.

Yep, I'm aware of them - I just can't be bothered to source one, as I never had so many PATA HDDs and the ones I was really interested in were small (& therefore quick to scan) anyway. But somehow almost every bigger box of old PC junk I picked up the last few months had big PATA drives in it. Still not interested in them, but if I'm going to do anything with them other than throwing away, I want to know they're working OK. Maybe will dig a few up after all...

Reply 10087 of 27364, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still no luck with CF cards reader under Windows 10, but works fine under Windows 8 and CF card is not damaged, I checked. Really hate MS at times like this.

Tested a couple DOS games on Hercules hardware. One photo here, more in this thread: Best CGA & Hercules monochrome games

herc0.jpg
Filename
herc0.jpg
File size
136.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10089 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got all the bits & pieces together for a couple high-end (for their time) AMD boards I've been wanting to use:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
638.36 KiB
Views
File license

I've had both of these for a while, just didn't have any spare compatible CPUs and coolers to try them out. Now I do. 😎

On the left is a very nice Socket A Aopen AK77-600n. I actually think this is a really sharp looking board, with its bright yellow PCI slots and distinctive blue & white AGP. It has a nice layout with a ton of features.

Thanks to the OEM-style HSF I found, it also now sports this sweet hologram badge. Can't argue with that.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
215.35 KiB
Views
File license

I wish they'd centered it better on the fan though. 😜

I tried my Geode NX1750+ on it. It seems to work, but without any BIOS support it doesn't set the voltage, clocks, or see the CPUID correctly.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
168.77 KiB
Views
File license

Fortunately there are a ton of options in the BIOS for setting clocks & voltages manually:

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
222.7 KiB
Views
File license

^^ it also has a credits section in the BIOS. Never seen that before, and it's a really nice touch! Lends this board some personality. From my brief testing here, I'd say the folks above knocked this one out of the park.

The board on the right is of course an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe. I had this earmarked for my FreeNAS build, since it supports ECC RAM and has a ton of SATA ports. That seems like a waste of such a nice board though. I'm also considering throwing 16GB of DDR2, a hexacore processor, and of course two GPUs in SLI at it and using it as a workstation. A setup like that probably won't match my Xeon E5440 or Q9300 in raw CPU speed, but it sure would be fun to build. I've never messed with post-Voodoo SLI before.

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
233.54 KiB
Views
File license

Anyway with my uninspiring 64x2 4200+ and a stick of low-end RAM installed, it seems to work fine. Good to know.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10090 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I worked some more, on my Amiga500 refurbishment project. This time I finished the Floppy disk drive part of the machine. I had to do a couple of tricks, and now it has a working drive. Finished it off, by updating my blog about this project. One thing that strikes me, is how long it takes to do this kind of work, when it is on the absolute lowest budget possible.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10091 of 27364, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

4.jpg
^^ it also has a credits section in the BIOS. Never seen that before, and it's a really nice touch! Lends this board some personality. From my brief testing here, I'd say the folks above knocked this one out of the park.

I wish every BIOS had a credits section, sure would be nice for knowing exactly who made it. 🤣

Reply 10092 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a rebuild of the clips, that keeps the keyboard in place, on my Amiga500 refurbish project. Cutting up a plastic lid, glueing them in place with super glue, and using "cement" made from ABS plastic dissolved in acetone to strengthen the new keyboard clips/holder's. Then updating my blog about the progress.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10093 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fixed every single issue my Socket 754 Athlon64 system had by replacing the 300W PSU with a 500W PSU. No idea what made me think a 300W PSU could power a Radeon X1950PRO AGP. Alas, everything works flawlessly now. Busy running 3Dmark2001 and 3DMark03 on hardware that I never got to own (went straight from Socket A/R300 to Socket AM2/HD3850..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10094 of 27364, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
Finally got all the bits & pieces together for a couple high-end (for their time) AMD boards I've been wanting to use: […]
Show full quote

Finally got all the bits & pieces together for a couple high-end (for their time) AMD boards I've been wanting to use:

1.jpg

I've had both of these for a while, just didn't have any spare compatible CPUs and coolers to try them out. Now I do. 😎

On the left is a very nice Socket A Aopen AK77-600n. I actually think this is a really sharp looking board, with its bright yellow PCI slots and distinctive blue & white AGP. It has a nice layout with a ton of features.

Thanks to the OEM-style HSF I found, it also now sports this sweet hologram badge. Can't argue with that.

2.jpg

I wish they'd centered it better on the fan though. 😜

I tried my Geode NX1750+ on it. It seems to work, but without any BIOS support it doesn't set the voltage, clocks, or see the CPUID correctly.

3.jpg

Fortunately there are a ton of options in the BIOS for setting clocks & voltages manually:

4.jpg

The board on the right is of course an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe. I had this earmarked for my FreeNAS build, since it supports ECC RAM and has a ton of SATA ports. That seems like a waste of such a nice board though. I'm also considering throwing 16GB of DDR2, a hexacore processor, and of course two GPUs in SLI at it and using it as a workstation. A setup like that probably won't match my Xeon E5440 or Q9300 in raw CPU speed, but it sure would be fun to build. I've never messed with post-Voodoo SLI before.

5.jpg

Anyway with my uninspiring 64x2 4200+ and a stick of low-end RAM installed, it seems to work fine. Good to know.

The M2N32-SLI-Deluxe doesn't support 6 core Phenoms.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 10095 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not "officially", no. 😜 Internet scuttlebutt says otherwise.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10096 of 27364, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a bunch of old motherboards recently, which is where I got this thing from. I got an Abit KV7 in one of the lots, which sadly arrived with its CPU socket removed. I tried fitting a Socket A socket I got from a lot of CPUs a few years ago, but it didn't post - which I'm not too surprised at. So I decided it's going to go in the electronics recycling, but before it goes, I'll take what I can from it.

Of course, every cap on the board is a Rubycon and none of them are leaking, so now I can recap a couple of my Socket 7 boards with bad caps without having to spend much 😁

20181012_220249 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20181012_220249 (Custom).jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license

I found that the easiest way to get the caps off was to keep the board upside down, put the TS-100 iron to essentially its max temp, blob some solder up between the two capacitor legs poking out the back, let it heat for a bit, then wiggle the iron tip, which (around 70% of the time) made the capacitor drop down to the desk.

This IBM Blue Lightning board is super weird - it can run Windows 95 just fine, but Windows 3.11 hard locks just after loading up, getting past the splash screen, displaying the desktop, then just stops. Which is a real shame, because I thought its hardware (a 386 on steroids) would be well suited to running Windows 3.11. It's certainly pretty slow in Windows 95.

The worst part is, like the other person that has this board discovered - sound is just pretty broken, I can get midi, I can get too-fast digital audio in Windows, AD-PCM works, but I can't get digital sound to work in Doom or Descent so far, with either an SB-16 CT2230 or an Opti 924.

Reply 10097 of 27364, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent some quality time inserting DIP memory chips one by one in a memory card. All 90 of them. Left the 108 that need to go in another card for another day.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10098 of 27364, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Not "officially", no. 😜 Internet scuttlebutt says otherwise.

Well if you somehow get it to work, please let me know how because I've tried a 1045T on mine and it detects it initially as a dual core and then refuses to post on the subsequent reboot.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 10099 of 27364, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally found something nifty that I knew I had kicking around some old boxes somewhere:

IMG_20181013_035707.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181013_035707.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license

A set of Windows 95 floppy labels (sadly, some stained) that came with a Windows 95 laptop which was an early example of the modern practice of expecting the end user to write their own reinstallation media.

Even back then, when I must have been somewhere between 10 and 13 years old, I was the type to refuse to apply them because it was irreversible.

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.