VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 441 of 1550, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible to add a variable for the video memory to the config file? With the 8Mb video RAM, the S3 Windows 3.1 driver shows a black block as a mouse cursor. With 2Mb, I think it would be fine.

Reply 442 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vasya segment wrote:

Hello, @Yesterplay80
Does build R4160 support Win2k SP4 ?

I don't know, you're gonna have to just try it out.

valnar wrote:

Is it possible to add a variable for the video memory to the config file? With the 8Mb video RAM, the S3 Windows 3.1 driver shows a black block as a mouse cursor. With 2Mb, I think it would be fine.

It ist possible, I just don't know how. 😢

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 443 of 1550, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

With the 8Mb video RAM, the S3 Windows 3.1 driver shows a black block as a mouse cursor.

In the mean time, you can use build r4095 for Windows 3.1, which is the last one with 2MB VRAM set.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 446 of 1550, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks pretty good. Maybe Yester should add it.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 447 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, what this patch basically does is adding support for ReDump images, did I get that right? And it works with CDs, "classic" CUE+BIN or imaes images as well as ISO + OGG?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 448 of 1550, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

basically yes

it makes easier to get specific games to work, particularly those that rely on the physical attributes of the audio tracks position on disk

without that patch, only single-track cuesheet works (one binary file containing both data and audio, a scenario typical of cue+img+ccd+sub dumps)
with it, we can convert those dumps in regular (and disk-space saving) multitrack cuesheet (one bin/iso file for data, multiple files ogg/mp3 files for audio)

Reply 449 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Delfino Furioso wrote:

with it, we can convert those dumps in regular (and disk-space saving) multitrack cuesheet (one bin/iso file for data, multiple files ogg/mp3 files for audio)

That's already possible, I store all my games this way (ISO+OGGs).

Reply 450 of 1550, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what I meant is that there are some games which do not work when using ISO+OGGs and that patch enable dosbox to play nice with them too
so storing images as ISO+OGGs become possible for ALL games

the patch's author gives a more technical explanation here
[SOLVED] Destruction Derby IMG file mounted, asks for CD

the issue has even been submitted as a bug on sourceforge
https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/bugs/489/

Reply 451 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, krcrofts patch is added as of ECE r4168, please play around with it to see if everything's still working fine.

http://dosbox.yesterplay80.net/DOSBox%20ECE%20r4168.7z

Reply 452 of 1550, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello there. See if I can get this solved... I've been following DOSBox ECE with interest since the project started, because I previously used Yhkwong's DOSbox build to run MT-32 and 3Dfx games. However, since it has been a while since it was updated and is not as stable as ECE, I've trying to switch to ECE. But I still haven't been able to run any 3Dfx games with ECE...

I'm running Windows 10 and I've tried with or without a Glide wrapper (previously I used nGlide). I usually run ECE from DBGL, but I've also tried on its own and I got a DLL not found message when running "Blood" with its 3Dfx patch. That's not the first time I've seen that message and I know it usually goes away by using the setting memsize=63, but this is not the case.

Is there any kind of 3Dfx test I can run to see what is going wrong here? I'd be happy to attach system info and results.

There's also a very annoying thing... lately DOSBox ECE tends to use a disproportionate amount of my screen while it previously didn't... is this normal? Here's a capture:

VwJ3ejF.png?1

Reply 453 of 1550, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why would you want to run the Glide version of Blood? It looks terrible compared to the normal version and probably crashes every few minutes...

Anyway, make sure the game can find the glide2x.ovl file (easiest to just put it in the game directory) and set memsize=64

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 454 of 1550, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I chose "Blood" for simplicity. The rest of my 3Dfx games require me to mount two units, a harddrive and a CD-ROM drive.

Which version of glide2x.ovl should I use? 3Dfx's? Yhkwong's? nGlide's?

Reply 456 of 1550, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you. Same result, unfortunately. I also tried the same file from here.

Maybe it's a game related issue, I'll try with other games later.

EDIT: Other games seem to work now with the file you mentioned. I'm getting 3Dfx logos and exclusive fullscreen modes in a bunch of games, such as Screamer 2, Nascar Racing 1999 and Screamer Rally. Others have issues, though. I don't think it's working for Carmageddon (gameplay is in window mode by default) and Whiplash / Fatal Racing shows a corrupted sky.

Reply 457 of 1550, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Alright, krcrofts patch is added as of ECE r4168, please play around with it to see if everything's still working fine.

Great!

I tested it with Destruction Derby and everything seems to work fine, thanks!

Reply 458 of 1550, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, first time replying on this thread. I was a longtime user of the Daum build and recently move to ECE. ECE is a great build and I enjoy the included patches and features.

I just upgraded to r4168 and now having a small problem. In QuickBasic and VBDOS any attempt to save a file gives a "Path/File access Error". This is happening in both Windows and Linux. I did not experience this in r4165 and earlier, and my programs and mounts have not changed. I keep a copy of r4095 for Windows and QB/VB are still working in it.

To others who are looking for a Windows 3.x solution, here's what I do. I believe the only file that is different between revisions is the exe. Judging by the datestamps the supporting dll files don't change. What I do is keep a copy of the r4095 exe file renamed to something like DOSBox-4095.exe in the same folder with the newer exe. That way I have both versions without duplicating folders. Works for me 😀

Last edited by Dracolich on 2018-10-18, 15:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 459 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the same happen in regular vanilla DOSBox as well or is it happening only in ECE?