VOGONS

Reply 10100 of 27185, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mastergamma12 wrote:
xjas wrote:

Not "officially", no. Internet scuttlebutt says otherwise.

Well if you somehow get it to work, please let me know how because I've tried a 1045T on mine and it detects it initially as a dual core and then refuses to post on the subsequent reboot.

You should've mentioned you'd tried it yourself first. 😜 I swear I found a thread in French a while ago where somebody claimed to have it working, but that seems to have vanished off the internet. What BIOS are you running?

The BIOS-mods thread I was also thinking of only lists the X4 & I guess I got a little crossed up. They have some modded early ones which seem to be superseded by an official a 5001 beta, but Asus's website only has an apparently-newer 5002 beta.

I might pick one up if I find one for cheap, I can always stuff it in my HP Nettle2, although I'm worried about power draw on that board.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10101 of 27185, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ssokolow wrote:
I finally found something nifty that I knew I had kicking around some old boxes somewhere: […]
Show full quote

I finally found something nifty that I knew I had kicking around some old boxes somewhere:

IMG_20181013_035707.jpg

A set of Windows 95 floppy labels (sadly, some stained) that came with a Windows 95 laptop which was an early example of the modern practice of expecting the end user to write their own reinstallation media.

Even back then, when I must have been somewhere between 10 and 13 years old, I was the type to refuse to apply them because it was irreversible.

I have a set of those labels, but already applied to floppies. :p
(if they had come loose I probably wouldn't have applied them either, but the laptop came with the stack of floppies already labeled)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10102 of 27185, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ssokolow wrote:
I finally found something nifty that I knew I had kicking around some old boxes somewhere: […]
Show full quote

I finally found something nifty that I knew I had kicking around some old boxes somewhere:

IMG_20181013_035707.jpg

A set of Windows 95 floppy labels (sadly, some stained) that came with a Windows 95 laptop which was an early example of the modern practice of expecting the end user to write their own reinstallation media.

Even back then, when I must have been somewhere between 10 and 13 years old, I was the type to refuse to apply them because it was irreversible.

I wish they were irreversible, but after years of storage those labels that Microsoft used aren't very reliable. When I was digging through my floppy collection last year, there were a bunch of loose labels that had fallen off my Office 4.3 floppies. I tried to find them all, but unfortunately it it looks like some have gone astray.

Reply 10103 of 27185, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
You should've mentioned you'd tried it yourself first. :P I swear I found a thread in French a while ago where somebody claimed […]
Show full quote
mastergamma12 wrote:
xjas wrote:

Not "officially", no. Internet scuttlebutt says otherwise.

Well if you somehow get it to work, please let me know how because I've tried a 1045T on mine and it detects it initially as a dual core and then refuses to post on the subsequent reboot.

You should've mentioned you'd tried it yourself first. 😜 I swear I found a thread in French a while ago where somebody claimed to have it working, but that seems to have vanished off the internet. What BIOS are you running?

The BIOS-mods thread I was also thinking of only lists the X4 & I guess I got a little crossed up. They have some modded early ones which seem to be superseded by an official a 5001 beta, but Asus's website only has an apparently-newer 5002 beta.

I might pick one up if I find one for cheap, I can always stuff it in my HP Nettle2, although I'm worried about power draw on that board.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 10104 of 27185, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I moved the guts of my maxed out Tualatin machine into a very period-incorrect Antec P182. It's a fairly large case, so I've got it on the floor standing next to my desk, PS/2 Model 80-like. 😜

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 10105 of 27185, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PTherapist wrote:

I wish they were irreversible, but after years of storage those labels that Microsoft used aren't very reliable. When I was digging through my floppy collection last year, there were a bunch of loose labels that had fallen off my Office 4.3 floppies. I tried to find them all, but unfortunately it it looks like some have gone astray.

Grab a "glue tape" roller from your local dollar store's crafts aisle. (Not "double-sided tape", "glue tape")

IMG_20181013_164201.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181013_164201.jpg
File size
139.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Similar concept to the roll-on white-out/correction tape but, instead, it deposits a strip of contact adhesive better than what comes on labels.

(I know because printing out "labels" using ordinary copy paper and then rolling on glue tape is the only way I've found to make labels that will remain adhered to polypropylene storage boxes as time passes.)

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 10106 of 27185, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

I moved the guts of my maxed out Tualatin machine into a very period-incorrect Antec P182. It's a fairly large case, so I've got it on the floor standing next to my desk, PS/2 Model 80-like. 😜

It's funny that you'd mention the P182. That's exactly what my main machine wears to this day. 😀

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 10107 of 27185, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My AST Bravo LC P/75 computer has been driving me mad the last few days - it crashes a lot, fails on extracting files, the power supply failed, the cache chips may be damaged, the floppy drive and CD drive were both broken...

I haven't come across a system with so much broken on it that I wanted to get working. The graphics chip (Trident 9440) also sucks, so good graphics in Windows requires fitting my S3 Virge card...

I actually had a spare AST 145 watt AT power supply, but the power button doesn't fit right so I wanted to see what was causing the power supply to be broken.

IMG_9835 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_9835 (Custom).jpeg
File size
526.28 KiB
Views
File license

(see the dents on the PSU casing?)

IMG_9834 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_9834 (Custom).jpeg
File size
713.44 KiB
Views
File license

These AST power supplies are higher quality than my YES tech AT power supplies (which look dangerous...) so I took it apart and found that the PCB had been cracked in the middle - that central heatsink is meant to be perpendicular to the PCB, not at that funny angle.

20181013_155742 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20181013_155742 (Custom).jpg
File size
421.3 KiB
Views
File license

I only have pictures after the repair attempts - since it's a single sided PCB, repairing the traces is possible with some solder and wire, I'll give it a go in a bit, hopefully it doesn't burst into flames.

20181013_155842 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20181013_155842 (Custom).jpg
File size
634.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 10108 of 27185, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

What it could be is the pass through cable wasn't standard or meant for the VooDoo1 to get hooked up to the 2D card you have.

Hmm. Didn't know that was a thing.

Well, I'll have to buy a new 2D card regardless, and I'll buy an "official" passthrough cable for the Voodoo1 and 2 as well. Hopefully that cable won't fry the new 2D card.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 10109 of 27185, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does drawing the S3 ViRGE lineup as slugs count as a retro activity?

(Cropped because Felicia-style partial nudity probably doesn't fly here)

Attachments

• virgettes.jpg
    Filename
    virgettes.jpg
    File size
    99.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10110 of 27185, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got my socket 478 motherboard. I hope it fits in a reguler atx case its more narrow then the usual

I also recieved another 2.8 ghz cpu but the pins were bent (didnt even fit into the motherboard)

bent myu 2.5 cpu

I finally said screw it and bought a lot of 2.8 ghz cpu. there should at least be ONE that doesn't have bent pins

edit: tried unbending the pins of the 2.5 and I failed the pins are way too small and close together

Last edited by elderago on 2018-10-14, 05:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10111 of 27185, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went digging in my garage to find some Socket 370 CPU's to upgrade my GA-6VA With slocket adapter. Tried a 100mhz FSB 1300 Mhz CPU When the board only allows x6.5 multiplier and manual states up to 633Mhz. Tried a 700mhz 66 Cpu, it fried itself even when jumpers set to auto. didn't like it.

Settled for the highest period correct CPU for that board, Celeron 533. There's no way to overclock it via jumpers or in bios..... I am going to hazard a guess it will perform something like a PII 350-400 if not maybe a smidge faster so it should make a nice W98SE / Dos retro box. I wonder if disabling cache whether I'll get 386-486 performance.

Reply 10112 of 27185, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Which one is Muscle Slug in the middle there?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10113 of 27185, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

That's got to be the weirdest thing I saw on the internet today, but then again it's only morning.

Reply 10114 of 27185, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Mind if I ask you about the full image? (in form of a link, of course) 🤣

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 10118 of 27185, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Installed MacOS 7.5.3 on... my Amiga 1200. 😁

Nice. Back then, the fastest Mac was an Amiga. And you had juice left, to run Amiga programs alongside MacOS in true multitasking.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10119 of 27185, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think most of you agree that IDE is not really "retro" therefore I focus on MFM drives. I bought this ST-225 one as defective:

IMG_9870.JPG
Filename
IMG_9870.JPG
File size
764.74 KiB
Views
File license

But thanks to SpeedStor I got it revived:

IMG_9874.JPG
Filename
IMG_9874.JPG