Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2980 of 3343, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

BTW I remember figuring out the hard way that Fatal Racing (what I had) does not work with the Whiplash 3DFX patch, so there's at least some substantial differences between the two. Although seeing gameplay footage of it now, I think the software version looks better anyway.

A billion20 years ago I couldn't get 3dfx Whiplash (OEM release, not a patch) going on a V2 either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2981 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoops! Forgot to post this last night when it went live but Ancient DOS Games Filler #73 - Peasant's Quest is now online!

I distinctly remember never beating this when I first played it years ago... I got up to Trogdor and then thought you just got roasted and that was it, no solution to an actual WIN. Turns out I was very wrong about that, but I don't show anything past catching on fire because this game's STILL available to play for free so why spoil it? ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2982 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 246 - Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate is online!

This one surprised me in more ways than one! Not only is the main character entirely different from the first game, which I was not expecting, but it's also WAY better in terms of gameplay! Everything's been streamlined, making it much easier to progress while still keeping the puzzles at least moderately complex, plus the art and music are still top-notch. THIS is how you make a sequel! :D

Also, just want to quickly mention that I'll be retiring the whole "guess the next game" thing at the end of the season. I may've mentioned this before elsewhere but not a lot of people take advantage of it anymore and because many of the games nowadays are things I don't have prior experience with it's getting very difficult to come up with good hints which are not only accurate to the game in question but also aren't too easy.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2983 of 3343, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ you inspired me to play something I've never tried before, so nice job!

PSA: this is on sale for $0.89 on GOG right now. Actually the whole series is 75-85% off and clocked in at a whopping $3.87. Kind of a no-brainer.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2984 of 3343, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

PSA: this is on sale for $0.89 on GOG right now. Actually the whole series is 75-85% off and clocked in at a whopping $3.87. Kind of a no-brainer.

Can one still play the GOG versions on real legacy hardware? I loved the series...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2985 of 3343, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:
xjas wrote:

Can one still play the GOG versions on real legacy hardware? I loved the series...

Depends. If it's the DOSBox version, than almost certainly it can be played on legacy hardware. If it's the ScummVM version, then it depends on whether they package it with the executables.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2986 of 3343, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GOG ones I got seem to be distributed as ScummVM wrappers. There are no original executables in the packages. Caveat: I downloaded the Mac versions.

Edit: annoyingly while Book 2 & 3 are .dmg images containing a .app bundle you can put anywhere, Book 1 is a .pkg installer that doesn't work (creates a phantom "installation" nowhere to be found.) And the Windows version is an .exe because of course it is. -9/10, GOG. Welp, off to abandonware sites now.

Edit 2: I was able to extract Legend of Kyrandia 1 out of the GOG .pkg myself with a bunch of messing around unzipping & renaming things. I'll be setting up my own ScummVM to run these though since they come with a really old version (1.6.0) configured for FM music instead of MT-32.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2987 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 247 - Wheel of Fortune is online!

Yes, I'm aware this game showed up on LGR just a couple months ago, but that's just a coincidence as I've had most of the final 10 episodes for Season 5 of ADG planned out for awhile now! ;)

Besides which, Clint and I always find different ways to discuss these games. I actually spent a good chunk of this video diving into some of the deeper functionality of the game, describing how the AI is doing its thing and also investigating if the spins on the wheel are truly random, or if some other factor is at play!

Plus hey, it's one of only a handful of games I've had since childhood which I haven't yet covered! :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2988 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 248 - Zephyr is online!

Irony: This game is SO forgotten that it's not even selectable as a game category when uploading to YouTube! Even PixelShips, a game I made myself 18 years ago without any sound or music, has a YouTube category! ;D

But yeah, I bought this one because I found it for cheap and it sounded neat, plus I had never heard of it. Turns out there were some fairly valid reasons why I'd never heard of it, but the most surprising part was the developer for sure as this game was VERY MUCH not the kind of game they were known to make! :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2990 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Yeah that's around the time New World Computing were branching out a bit. They've made a riker poker FMV game too

*looks that one up* ...so they did... :o

...aww, it's not a DOS game! XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2991 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 249 - Alone in the Dark is finally online! Got delayed by my sleep being out of whack combined with thunderstorms interrupting my render! D:

All that said though, I'm pretty tired and really need to get to bed so... I'll just let the video speak for itself this time around! :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2992 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is copy-paste from my Patreon to let everyone know the final ADG episode of the year, Episode 250, is going to be delayed until Tuesday.

-------------------

So... my voicework is unusable. >_<

About halfway through audio editing I started hearing strange noises in the voice track. Not pops or cracks but rather almost wind-like whistling sounds. I figured out what the cause was and the solution quite frankly is don't ever again eat pizza pockets an hour before recording. :P

But due to a number of circumstances including sleep timing, not living alone, and living in a large apartment complex with children running around outside and screaming a bunch during the weekends, I'm not going to have a chance to re-record until MONDAY, and even then I can't video edit without a finalized audio track, so the absolute earliest I'll be able to get the episode up is Tuesday. :(

I'm really not happy about this. I pride myself towards being on time with my videos as often as I am... well... on DATE anyways. So yeah, this feels just as bad for me as for anyone else really looking forwards to this.

At least all the other aspects came together properly, so it'll just be a little bit more of a wait for what should be a very interesting episode with extra content to explore following! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2993 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More copypasta from my Patreon to give an update on ADG Episode 250's progress:

---------------

Normally, people don't wish for inclement weather. But, the main thing which keeps me from doing voicework on weekends is the large number of children outside who run around screaming up a storm. So what keeps the kids inside? An ACTUAL storm! :D

Now, lightning doesn't help and when I first tried to record earlier today, lightning started up not long following, but once the lightning passed and I started over again, I was able to get the voicework re-recorded while it rained! Still had numerous interruptions though since it was in the afternoon, not the evening, but I have already fully edited the audio and there's zero anomalies this time! :)

So, thanks to the rain, ADG 250 won't be delayed until Tuesday anymore. I still have to do the video editing, but my plan is to do that as soon as I get up tomorrow morning, and then my plan is to release the video as soon as the usual Sunday livestream is over around 5 PM EDT, so look for it to go live around then!

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2994 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 250 - Game-Maker is finally online! :D

This was quite the video to put together despite the lack of humour and sticking strictly to the program itself. Despite its limitations, Game-Maker is quite the piece of software and I felt the best way to accurately represent it was to make a game with it... so I did! :O

When you're done watching the video, check the video description for a link to the page on my website with a download of the game I made with it! It's... ultimately nothing special, but was definitely tricky to make given how Game-Maker works and I was constantly having to cut or change things as I ran into Game-Maker's limitations. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2995 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #74 - Plans for ADG Season 6 and End of 2018 is online!

I guess this isn't going to be too surprising. My other video producing colleagues have been trying out new kinds of videos, so it's about time I did the same, but while sticking with DOS gaming since hey, that's my specialty! :B

Just to reiterate an important point made in the video though, these upcoming changes are only permanent if everyone enjoys them. If the number of views the new videos get are poor compared to the standard reviews I can swap 'em out for more standard reviews. Time will tell! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2996 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eh heh... I've been so busy with things I've been totally forgetting to swing by here... ^_^;;;

ANYWHOO, ADG has started back up again after my two-month hiatus! The first video of Season 6 is: Episode 251 - Lords of the Realm II

This one kinda surprised me. No, I still wasn't good at playing it because strategy, but rather, I was surprised by the design choice to streamline and scale down, rather than add more complexities and features, which is what you instead typically get from 99% of strategy game sequels. :o

In some ways, that made the game a LITTLE more accessible for me, but I'm still bad at it. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2997 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first ever episode of ADG Pro is now online! Stat Balancing - One Must Fall 2097

The idea behind these new Pro videos is to pick apart a particular aspect of a particular game to figure out how it works and to see if there's any tricks or tactics which can be learned from the info. With this first one, since OMF2097 is a game I return to at least once a year, I felt it prudent to figure out just how balanced the three primary stats in that game are! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2998 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first ever ADG Mod video is now online! ADG Mod 1 - Modding Duke Nukem 3D

Now, this isn't TOO extensive a video, because it would take many hours to go over every little thing you can do with Duke 3D, so instead this video is more a crash course in level editing along with just a brief glance at what CAN be modified and what you need to use to do it. I also am using the eDuke32 and Mapster32 ports as they're much nicer to work with than playing the DOS originals, though I make sure to point out differences when relevant. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2999 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 252 - Railroad Tycoon is finally online!

Suffering from a case of food poisoning at the moment, and was minorly sick between Thursday night and Friday morning, thus why this episodes up a little later than usual. >_<

But yeah, curiously I didn't really enjoy this one, but I definitely saw the appeal of it. I really wanted to like it but just kept being frustrated by its shortcomings every step of the way, though I have a sneaking suspicion I'd probably enjoy the sequels more, provided the problems I had with this initial game in the series were addressed. :B

Also, it's freeware... has been for roughly 13 years now! Had no idea whatsoever and I'll be a lot of you didn't either! 8O

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)