VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to build some Windows 98se 1ghz. computers.

I am considering a 1ghz. AMD Athlon build with VIA chipset motherboard.
Questions:
What ram type does it use ?
What is the best AGP graphics card to use ?
Voodoo-3 3000 AGP
Nvidia ti4200 ?
Or other Nvidia card ?
Best AMD AGP graphics card to use ?

I am considering building a 1ghz. Pentium-3 socket 370 with Intel chipset.
Questions:
What ram type does it use ?
What is the best AGP graphics card to use ?
Voodoo-3 3000 AGP
Nvidia ti4200 ?
Or other Nvidia card ?

Reply 1 of 13, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Athlon rig:
you can find motherboards that support standard SDRAM and DDR, depending on the processor if is Slot A or Socket A
Best AGP GPU? geforce 4 ti or radeon 8500, the voodoo 3 is good but it won't give you a lot of performance, unless you want it for glide compatibility

Pentium rig:
Most commonly was to use SDRAM, but there are some (server, i think) motherboards that supports RDRAM and i think i've seen motherboards that support DDR (Apollo Pro 266)
Best gpu? same as the athlon, being that both processors are very close in performance, except in applications that use SSE (vs older athlons)

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For 1GHz You have the choice of a Coppermine P3 vs a T-Bird Athlon.

With The P3 you are stuck with SDRAM, but with the Athlon RAM choice depends on your chipset choice, KT133/133A will use SDRAM and KT266 and above will use DDR but limit DOS compatibility (no ISA), pick your choice.

Voodoo 3 could work in some motherboards, but you will have to find one that is 2x and 3.3V capable. For most P3 boards, this is not an issue, but with Athlon boards, going KT333 and above will likely bar you from using the Voodoo 3 due to being AGP 4x and 1.5V.

Check here: http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

At 1GHz my personal picks would be a GF3/GF3Ti or Radeon 8500/9100 but a GF4 Ti or Radeon 9500/9600 card would also do well. The Voodoo 3 will be greatly bottleneck your 1GHz CPU and run the more demanding contemporary games for that system (games circa 2000-2001) poorly.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just use PCI Voodoo then, AGP does not really matter.

The only Benefit of using AGP is saving a PCI Slot with Voodoo 3 😁

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 13, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about the " nVIDIA FX5500 256MB 128bit PCI DDR VGA/DVI /S-Video Video Card FX 5500 3D"
You can still find these NEW and they are inexpensive and have 256mb ram.

Reply 5 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the FX5500 is just a higher clocked FX5200 and the 5200 is slow. Your 4200ti is faster. The 256MB memory are just snake oil on these type of GPU because it is to slow to run anything that actually uses that much.

Reply 6 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What about the " nVIDIA FX5500 256MB 128bit PCI DDR VGA/DVI /S-Video Video Card FX 5500 3D"
You can still find these NEW and they are inexpensive and have 256mb ram.

Phil's Computer Lab has a video on this card, check it out. Compatibility seems to suffer a bit the farther out you move from GeForce 3.

Reply 7 of 13, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, For the 1ghz. AMD Athlon build with VIA chipset motherboard.
I will use a Radeon 9500 or 9600 card AGP.

And make it an ALL AMD build.
Will there be any problem with this ?

Does AMD make a Sound Card ?

I have an AMD network card too.

Reply 8 of 13, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

... And make it an ALL AMD build.

Of course there's a problem; ATI weren't part of AMD that far back. They weren't even making core logic chipsets yet.

Meanwhile, sound cards with the AMD InterWave chip exist, but they are all ISA.

Reply 9 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATI Radeon cards never supported table fog in driver so they are not ideal for early Win9x games, other than that you will not have serious compatibility issues. Radeon 9000 series cards can have weird issues with AGP 8x and Fast Writes so you may have to settle for 4x and disabling Fast Writes (unlikely).

I know of no AMD sound cards, but the GUS PnP uses an AMD chipset:

800px-Gravis_UltraSound_PnP_Pro_V1.0.jpg

Reply 10 of 13, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weldum wrote:

Pentium rig:
Most commonly was to use SDRAM, but there are some (server, i think) motherboards that supports RDRAM and i think i've seen motherboards that support DDR (Apollo Pro 266)

There were certain Pentium 4 boards in the early 2000's that used either SD-RAM (ex: HP Pavilion 7995) or RD-RAM (ex: Dell Dimension 8100). It depends on the chipset, manufacturer of the motherboard, things like that. VIA was one of the many chipset providers to support DDR RAM in the early 2000's as well as AGP bus dating back in the late 1990's.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11 of 13, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
ATI Radeon cards never supported table fog in driver so they are not ideal for early Win9x games, other than that you will not h […]
Show full quote

ATI Radeon cards never supported table fog in driver so they are not ideal for early Win9x games, other than that you will not have serious compatibility issues. Radeon 9000 series cards can have weird issues with AGP 8x and Fast Writes so you may have to settle for 4x and disabling Fast Writes (unlikely).

I know of no AMD sound cards, but the GUS PnP uses an AMD chipset:

800px-Gravis_UltraSound_PnP_Pro_V1.0.jpg

Yeah, I don't have a GUS or ISA slot.

Reply 12 of 13, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Of course there's a problem; ATI weren't part of AMD that far back. They weren't even making core logic chipsets yet.

They were not making chipsets in the socket 7 era. Slot A was released with an AMD chipset. I'm sure there were socket A versions as well. They stopped bothering because there were plenty of competing ones: SiS, VIA, later NVidia.

Reply 13 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elod wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

They were not making chipsets in the socket 7 era.

True but they licensed VIA's VP2 and re-branded it as AMD 640 😀

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts