VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I bought and installed a Cooler Master Masteliquid 120 cooling kit for my Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard with the Core2 E8600 dual cpu. Even if not necessary considering the 65W TDP it will be compatible with future builds for a new computer and it's my first liquid cooler ever. 😀
Having a server old steel case it wasn't easy to find a close position to mount the radiator cause the cables are short but I ended replacing the frontal case fan with it after a difficult couple of hours of work. 😵
Some questions:

- does the radiator need to be "above" the cpu to better work? Or is not a problem if it remains at lower height level?
- how much strong would the kit screws need to be fixed to the motherboard socket? It seems that no matter how much you rotate them, there's still space for it.
- temperature for both cores when benchmarked are 48°-50°C and when idle 32°C. Are those values ok?

Thank

Reply 1 of 4, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems ok. The radiator's position has nothing to do with cooling performance. Just find a place with adequate fan static pressure (high-SPL fans) and airflow.
As long as the cooling plate is sitting flush against the CPU's IHS, you're fine. If you go to wiggle the pump and it doesn't wanna move at all, it's tight enough.
Temperatures seem legit. I have a Corsair H100i AIO on my i7-6700K. It idles around the 28C mark and while ripping my DVD collection (96% CPU load across all cores), it will hover in the 50-60C range under load.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 2 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

Seems ok. The radiator's position has nothing to do with cooling performance. Just find a place with adequate fan static pressure (high-SPL fans) and airflow.
As long as the cooling plate is sitting flush against the CPU's IHS, you're fine. If you go to wiggle the pump and it doesn't wanna move at all, it's tight enough.
Temperatures seem legit. I have a Corsair H100i AIO on my i7-6700K. It idles around the 28C mark and while ripping my DVD collection (96% CPU load across all cores), it will hover in the 50-60C range under load.

Thank you! Considering the cpu I have maybe it's a bit useless but I should go to the Q9650 in the near future maybe and then try a socket 1155 and this kit support this too. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a heads-up.

Motherboards of that era were mostly designed around using a top-down cooler that would also cool the VRM. That was the standard back then. This is why i dont use tower coolers or water on the 775 platform. Might want to make sure to get some airflow directly on the VRM or it could overheat, or best-case it will die faster.

Reply 4 of 4, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
lost77 wrote:

Just a heads-up.

Motherboards of that era were mostly designed around using a top-down cooler that would also cool the VRM. That was the standard back then. This is why i dont use tower coolers or water on the 775 platform. Might want to make sure to get some airflow directly on the VRM or it could overheat, or best-case it will die faster.

VRM of that era didn't run as hot either as today, I used a spare NB heatsink on my Athlon XP VRM with some thermal tape. You can also always get some some high small heatsinks from aliexpress and use thermal adhesive on the VRM.