VOGONS

Reply 100 of 210, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote:

Well, maybe it was leaked or someone has/had NDA to get the secret documentation.

"Yes that is true" -Magic Man, entrusted with is more accurate.
Suffice to say you aren't missing much...everything is emulated in software, Aureal wanted to keep costs cheap and thus the Vortex family were made, no OPL3 or SB hardware except as for command capture. Emulation via TSR driver is the only way to go for the Vortex's.

Reply 101 of 210, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I was just interested if there is tech doc with pinout and el. spec. that would be needed if someone want to make the mighty combo soundcard. Currently I even don't own any Vortex card yet and I still have 2 PCI slots so I'm not going to design any PCIE card. Also because it will take some time&money and I have a lot of my unfinished projects (e.g. the LPC superIO card for FDD and ports...)

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 102 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other package update.

Configs:
- in some branches was wrong ESS driver path, fixed, also when is used ESS part of Sound card inicialization ESSsolo.ini is copied to C:\, driver needs it.
- config sound block before EMS start block, because of ESS sound driver EMS crash,config sound block is used only by ESS, so if you using other soundcard, i need to care.
- PATH changes remove path to RAR,added mTCP instead and removed SEA, SEA and RAR could be handled by File Wizzard or Dos Navigator settings, so there is not needed to burn valuable path space for them.
- CMEDIA soundcard added comments that its not possible to set card to IRQ7, to even in IRQ7 modes, is IRQ5 used, is better than disable soundcard at all in these modes.

Drivers and tools:
- added HexIT dos Hex Editor
- added lots of Dos network packet drivers (EtherDRV directory) for networking support, i already linked my pure Dos networking thread above, nothing is run by branches, its optimal stuff, which can be run after OS boot
- NICscan - print info about network card type in pure DOS // check if this is not duplicate with last post..
- added ESSsetup.txt with hint how to modified ESSolo.ini to change IRQ and DMA mode, but it seems that at least with i865 is this ignored by driver, lets try it on other chipsets..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 103 of 210, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whoa... I was just looking for an Asus dual Xeon motherboard; saw some video reviews of the X58 (single cpu) motherboard.
I was planning on running Linux on it and using it primarily for rendering... but this suggests I can multiboot Win98 and DOS 6.22? Could I triple boot with Linux? That would be so incredibly convenient.

Reply 104 of 210, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, but as a rule Win98 and DOS will not derive any advantage from more than one processor core.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 105 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

Whoa... I was just looking for an Asus dual Xeon motherboard; saw some video reviews of the X58 (single cpu) motherboard.
I was planning on running Linux on it and using it primarily for rendering... but this suggests I can multiboot Win98 and DOS 6.22? Could I triple boot with Linux? That would be so incredibly convenient.

Only important thing is chipset. Which one has your Dual Xeon MB? I dunno if there are X58 dual socket boards. Linux is running on everything. MacOS is possible on dual Xeons too, Android x86 will run too, but for HW acceleration you need right GPU, best are Integrated Intels, which are not in Xeon, or some old Nvidias, which are supported by Nouevea open source driver.
For Windows 98 and Dos 6.22, are important Sata controller (if it support IDE mode), or external one and glitchless GPU - everything on PCI or ATI X300-X850 are best ones, modern Nvidias running fine for 90-95% of games, but there are glitches in rest.

I wouldnt recommend Dos 6.22, because as far i know, there now compatibility problems in comparison with MS 7.1 which is integrated in WIndows 98, you would not need special Dos partition and DOS 6.22 is FAT16 only max (2GB partition max) and i dont know any FAT32 workaround for that. MS Dos 7.1 is supporting FAT32 - minimally ~120 GB (specwise only 32GB is officially supported, but i never had problem up to 120 GB), but probably more is possible, rLoew claims that he has driver or working (i dont remember details in driver is need and if is need it would be money) for FAT32 - 4TB..
And of course right Sound cards, that is what is this thread is all around..

Dual sockets - i considered such machine, but there is usually big overhead for CPU communication and it really depends on software is able to work with soo many cores, some rendering software is slower than on 1 cpu, there are great for MacOS.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 106 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Configs and drivers update in main post..

Configs:
- added real Creative SB16 driver to package and config branches, i mainly added it because i was playing with Vmware / VirtualBox and DOS, mainly because of TCP networking (BTW its working fine). DOS SB implementation in VMs sucks, sometime working music, sometime FX..
- added some notes to post / config file for adjustments for MS-DoS 6.22 and earlier
- added IFSHLP.SYS to config env, at least with MS-DOS 7.1 its loaded regardless you config settings and its needed for networking too. Because of licencing, its not part of package, you have to copy it to C:\Drivers from your Windows directory.
- moved XDMA block to own HDDenhancer block, disabled by default..
- whole CDROM block moved to autoexec.bat, in config is only some commented backup, CD-ROM drivers are now loaded through devload.com. Now its possible disable to physical CD-ROM, keep SHSUCD virtual drive enabled etc.. and its possible set CD-ROM driver at all place, all these settings are in autoexec header.

Drivers and Utils:
- fix ESSolo.ini in last package was invalid value 00, instead of 05 for IRQ, it was result of card testing on i865 machine, sorry
- added newer ESS driver, old is still kept in package, you can just rewrite files in root of ESSSolo1 folder so used old / new driver.. how you want.
- Dos navigator batch dn.bat added to directory in PATH for start Dos Navigator from anywhere by dn command
- added batches to C:\Drivers - For mTCP and CDdriver on the fly with devload
- added networking drivers for Broadcom 57xx and Shims for ODI=>TCPIP
- added SMC packet driver + ODI drivers for AMD PCnet(used by VMware) and Intel 1000e
- added some ethernet drivers especially NDIS Wrappers for Virtual machine NICs
- added NDIS shims v9 + v11 DIS_PKT9.DOS (ETHERDRV\!SHIMFAL\NDIS) folder
- added Kamerat script (in ESSOLO\ESSINIT directory) for ESS-SOLO 1 inicialization even without Drivers, some PCI magic. Its reported that some not working games with original drivers are now workig: Re: PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...
What is WBDMA by Kamerat:
By "WBDMA" I mean the additional compatibility mode made available during the card's initialization routine thanks to Kamerat and his wonderful easy-to-read batch file. For this list I used the "111" value - as it has less artifacts and is slightly louder for some reason than the other values (101 and 110).
Note: the value "100" does nothing useful compared to TDMA.

Reply 107 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Configs and Tool Package update:
- replace IFSHLP.SYS for that which is working with MS Client networking, Windows one was not working with it - Internal error 1
- Added WBDMA to ESSOLO1\ESSINIT directory with information from Revolter (thx) for WBDMA compatibility tunning..
- Added Chainsaw deletting utility form Dave Dunfield, for dont ask quick directories and files removal
- Added Keymap utility for remapping keys in Dos from Dave Dunfield
- small Files and Buffers variable decrease to save a bit more memory
- Added JEMM IRQ7 branch
- ESSSolo IRQ5 / IRQ7 handling it really depends on MB, often driver you IRQ just ignore and set its own, check boot info ESSSolo.com message with SHIFT+F8/ or F8 boot option..

Networking:
- you can enable networking by set @SET Network variable at top of autoexec.com, MSclient Min and MSclientFull, ODI+MTCP and native Packet+MTCP modes are availaible as examples, you need change NIC driver and setting for you machine,there is not autodetection.
- changed some directory structure inside ETHERDRV directory
added ETHERDRV\DDNDcoll again from Dave Dunfield, here is PCINIC.COM to print out info about NIC and PKTDRV.EXE that is collection of 100 NIC driver mainly packet drivers and some ODI and NDIS drivers, when you run it you get menu, when you select you NIC and drivers is extracted in same directory, sometimes even with some execution .bat
- added Share71.exe (from floppy MS-DOS 7.1 installation its missing in Windows 98 installation) and ShareFD (Freedos one) to C:\Drivers these utils are needed for File sharing from DOS machine and Share 6.22 (for fiddling they could be crossused)
- changed default hostname in mTCP to DOS71, to simplify my testing its recommended to change it regardless
- for Minimal client you net enable Protman line in Config.sys networking (disable it for any other networking mode, its not compatible), you can add networking to any branch by add include network line to any branch, only few are used for now - EMS, NOEMS,Realmodes..
- to use networking you need own installation of MS networking client and you need NDIS(2) driver (*.DOS) for your NIC and its configuration.. For now its not part of my package.. i will maybe later add some of NIC, i only few of them (like them for Virtualbox+Vmware, Broadcom 57xx, IntelGB and some newer relteaks and NE2000 you have anything else that expect in-build NIC support.) And even with inbuild support, see could need to fiddle with NIC vector (0x60 to 0x69 values) to make NIC working on your machine.
- Native packet driver networking block - its most memory efective way how to use mTCP stack (if there is native DOS packet driver for your NIC), but no Windows file sharing, for data transfers you have to use mTCP ftp server / client.. or other program compatible with mTCP networking stuck.

------
I checked other HP Z line machines Z600 is dual cpu and its using Intel 5520 chipset, which has to be tested with pure DOS, HP Z800 also dual CPU is using same chipset. NIC is Broadcom 5761M, big change that it would be pure DOs compatible, integrated soundcars is nice to Realtek HD => XP will work, MacOS too.

Reply 108 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small drivers and configs update:
- added S3VBE folder with for S3 Vesa modes support, it enables higher resolution in Quake etc.. Its for these cards:
Vision864; Vision868; Vision964; Vision968; Trio32; Trio64; Trio64V+; Trio64UV+; Trio64V2/DX; Trio64V2/GX; ViRGE; ViRGE/VX; ViRGE/DX; ViRGE/GX
- ESSinit added patch to PCIset, to batch, utility is already in package, is good idea reuse it
- EMS line add D=64 for DMA buffer parameter for Street Fighter II and maybe others needs it.
- Phils DosBench enhanced by Quake 1024x768 option for videocards testing see bellow

If you dont watching other threads, some news:
- i added more sound cards testing to my sheet, SB Live + i865 and VIA 880 Ultra ESS Solo1 and Aureal V1 results and also add some chipset / cards compatibility info:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKadO … of=true&sd=true - im fiddling with DR-DOS 7, because of task switching and multitasking for DOS really interest me and also tested whole my test suite with DR-DOS to check games compatibility:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mdKPr … #gid=1074565097
Dos multitasking / task switching tools research (MS 6.22/7.1/Freedos /DR-DOS), DRDOS compatibility (165+ games tested)
- i also ported my ultimate config package for DR-DOS, i will upload it to linked Vogons thread in moment (update: I will do it later, i need to clarify something)
- also started to investigate DOS videocards performance i was really surprised by performance results, they are really wild and unexpected and i make sense to care about it with high end pure DOS machines:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QPf4V … dit?usp=sharing
- Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need your numbers + analysis, 320x200 to 1600x1200!
You can post your results or i can give you access to sheet for editing. There is also compatibility aspect - well i dont have any sheet for it, but when i met some videocards game incompatibility im adding it to my sound cards testing sheet notes, later can be data migrated to special sheet or something like that, as i already stated compatibility is usually pretty good - 95%+ in my suite, maybe with exception of Geforce 6 cards (it would be probably same whole Geforce line, maybe even RIVA 128 and TNTs..), they are much worse that anything else which i tested.

Aureal Vortex 2 on the way.

Last edited by ruthan on 2023-05-31, 08:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 109 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Configs and tools update.

Configs:
- global ctmouse parameters for all branches can be defined by CustomMP variable at the top of autoexec, is good for enable serial mouse support, change mouse detection priority, force serial mouse mode (comNumber, IRQnumber), mouse senstitivity etc
- fixed AurealV2 inicialization, label was to long, so was triggered AurealV1 instead of V2

Tools:
- added NVVBET directory for Nvidia VBE testing from Falcosoft, it can help to identify Vbios bug at least on Maxwell2/Pascal cards more info:
NVIDIA Kepler/Maxwell/Pascal VESA Bios Bug (workaround found)
- added XFDisk, just better Fdisk
- added Collection of DOS benchmarks by Roy Longbottom, its in DOStests folder,
there are benchramrks for CPU, Viodecard,Buses and other testing.
- free version of Univbe added
- added FPScount.txt - its list of DOS games with FPS counter and how to activate it - Created by clueless1 (thx)

Otherwise if you dont watch PCI soundcards thread, Aureal Vortex 2 was fully tested, VIA 880 + Yamaha 744 testing in progress.

Reply 110 of 210, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I bought this Aopen ymf744 pci card and I am running it on a tuv4x with a p3 1ghz.
I can load the loadtsr.bat properly, dsdma loads fine but I have a question regarding accessing the card mpu401 synth under native dos.

When I run Duke3d setup for exemple, I select Sound blaster for sound effects in the setup menu which works, but if i select general midi, for music, and pick the correct 330 address, i dont get any music although the game loads up fine. If i select sound blaster, for music, i do get music but it is apparently not using the card native synth which gives much better music than emulated sound blaster/fm.
Is the card integrated mpu401 synth only usable under windows dos box?

Thanks.

Reply 111 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to check configuration *.ini files in drivers folder there are some parameters to enable and disable MPU-401 also try more games and sound tests in their setups..

Reply 112 of 210, by pngo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im reading this:
YMF-724F-V Windows 98 Dos Games Usage Problem
I have the exact same behavior, ds-xg synth not working in pure dos.

I suspect the xg-synth is an advanced feature that only the windows driver loads the soundfont for but not the dos ones...
Basically the game play fine but since there is no soundfont loaded in the chip it does not output anything.
On the other hand, what is weird is that setupds clearly uses that xg-synth when testing the native music playback.

read here:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/yamaha-ymf74 … sound-card.html

Under pure DOS, there is no wavetable, however an external MIDI device can be connected to the gameport.

THats a bit what I expected unfortunately.

Reply 113 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im a bit confused, we have our PCI compatibility sheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cvhr6 … nQYuic2xhYKK4l0
There is row Internal wavetable synth, Yamaha 744 has no value.

I not quite sure, but i think that this means, if card could be wavetable header variant.. and it there is not wavetable header there is not possibility of general midi device unless is external or unless you have very modern card with lots of memory like SB live! / Audigy, which have some inbuild general midi support. Regarding of info from Rayer external general midi device is working fine even on H67 chipset at least with Yamaha 724.

Reply 114 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Drivers and Utils package update:
- added ctmouseo.exe that is older version - 1.9.1 of ctmouse driver as alternative to newest version, in theory it could maybe fix some compatibility problems.
- added VSPEED.EXE to root of drivers, its reports the video - throughput for bit blit operations from DRAM to VRAM for both the banked VGA and linear frame buffer mechanisms. Good for have ideal CPU-videocard communication speed.
- added srdisk, better ramdisk utility than DOS inbuild ramdisk, ramdisk can be bigger and removed without reboot and there are other features. For more memory with my configs - cached values for HimemX and Burnmem parameters.
I also tested that it can be loaded with Devload, so you can have all code in autoexec, but its not possible to load it after boot if you have some CD-ROM, there some syntax driver letter error, my guess is that is related to CD-ROm drive letter and that HDD letter cant be after CD-ROM letter. If you know how to solve that, just tell, i would like to use R or M letter for Ramdisk as im used to in Windows.
Its not without compatibility issues, at least in Realmode when is Ramdrive present, even if is empty Quake 1 shareware refusing to work, Doom exit freeze at. If know some more compatible ramdisk capable more than 32 MB as inbuild Ramdrive just tell me.
- I added S3briFix folder there is patch to fix too bright picture on on some S3 cards problem.
- Also added alternative S3 Vesa fix from wbc, details are here:
S3VBEFIX - PC\MS-DOS TSR fix for S3 VESA 2.0 video BIOS
- added VBioSize from Falcosoft(thanks), it just report Video bios size.
- added FM801 folder with Fortmedia FM801 drivers, for now there is not autoexec option for them, but driver could be loaded just by !startIX.bat batches.
- added ALS4000 folder with Avance Logic 4000 drivers, for now there is not autoexec option for them, but driver could be loaded from command line.

Reply 115 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There still some sound card related issues which i would like to solve / more understand:

1) There is still for me unsolved problem how to solve multiple cards sound output switching / coexistence, without hassle, are some related threads:
my original sound output autodetection device thread
Internally routing one sound card's output to another - i still wonder if it could work without 2 parallel drivers.. only with 1, so if it works with some cards on analog not software level.
2 sound cards in same pc. - its mainly about one card for FM and other for FX, but to make it working it still need to solve same thing mix signals together
im sure that there are others

2) If is possible and how to use External midi a joystick together, i read in some post that it is, but you need some special Y cable, i didnt found anything like it on eBay, only some 1 000$ cable..
Update: I found this - maybe its solution - https://www.serdashop.com/JoystickMIDICable or from eBay, but im not sure, i would expect 2x gameport header.. but this has 1x gameport and some round connectors (Update2: Ok they are midi connectors - i thought that Midi devices are using gameport..).
3) How works sound card with pc speakers header, some card have such header or et least such option in mixer (maybe is somehow working on software level without cable).
I would like to know if its driver dependant (driver has to be loaded) and where is adantage except (volume level regulation), if pc speaker through sound card could get better that.

Reply 116 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just made some good X58 MBs comparision:
here // X58MBsComparision tab..

I could be handy for others, fast as possible multiboot guys.

Selection really depends on much Dos capable machine you want in comparison to more modern OSes.. there is trade off more PCI slots for more dos sound cards to USB3 and Sata 6Gbit/s controller.. You can just add additional USB3 controller and Sata 6Gbit/s controller to MB with more PCI slots, but it would cost you already lesser number of PCI-E # - in this case 2 of them.. or you can use some PCI-E to PCI-E adapter.. what is additional hassle (case space / external box + more cables and maybe some bus speed issues - but it would be everyttime enough for NIC, Soundcards, Capture cards etc.. virtually everything except videocards and sata /usb3 controllers) etc to safe 1 slot (adapter consumes only one).

Im personally happy with Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, but i would need some new better case to use it, i can use it with HP z400 case, but its not idea.. i plan to get something much bigger.. to able use 8/9 card slots (for 2 slot GPU in last slot or to screw 2 ports PCI-E to PCI or PCI-E to PCI-E adapter right under MB slots).. able i would have proper place for all in one CPU watter block or bigger heatsing (z400 is quite slim), potential case Noctua fans etc..

Reply 117 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now i fiddle with X58 overclocking (i can confirm that Xeon 5680 is working fine with Gigabyte MBs), which i dont fully understand yet.

I through that would be able just increase DDR3 RAM clock from basic 1333 to RAMs specs in my testing piece 1866, MB supports up to 2400 MHz, maybe more i dont care. I can set bigger clock in Bios, but after reboot its always just 133.. I find out that even with Core i7 have probably all CPU on X58 locked from multiplier perspective, you can only decrease multiplier, but you can increase so, you can only increase bus speed from 133 to something quicker, fortunately there are special settings for asynch PCI-E bus speed, for QT and Uncore clock (i read somewhere that it should be 1.5-2.0 faster that RAM clock).
I was able to increase RAM clock only with Bus speed, through that it works fine, what is not ideal, because with 4.2 GHz im still on ~1600 not on 1866 and with faster RAM it would be even bigger waste and even for 1866 i would have go somewhere over 5 GHz, if doubt that it would work and i dont really need so much performance with this machines, unless i will buy some fast GPU for it.
Its possible that im only settings RAM speed by wrong way, but its pretty straight forward its only not working..

BTW i have new version of UMBPCI.sys from Uwe for X58, to squezze more conventional free mem in realmode, i can confirm that its not working with Xeons 56xx, but it still could work with Core i7 i mailed 2 Vogons guys with X58 while ago, but i still dont have testing results.. If it would work make sense to switch to Core i7, if you have money.. Xeons are much cheaper for same perf.

Reply 118 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone from Europe would be interested in my old proven HP z400 machine its for sale:

- HP z400 case (silver, black front) with HP PSU 475W
- MB
- CPU Xeon 5660 6 core / 12 threads - 2.8 GHz only 95W TDP so it could be still very quite with big Air cooler
- RAM 8 GB DDR3 ECC 1333 4x 2GB
- some generic Sata DVD-ROM
- original CPU cooler and case fan
- ATI X300 placeholder videocard
- no HDD/SSD, i can add some small 80-160 GB Sata HDD and install on it Linux Mint / Ubuntu etc.. on it if you want..
All is in working state, nothing is damaged / broken, only some classic case scratches etc.

If you dont need to ship case, psu and other lesser important things, i can sell you only these.. I dont believe in DHL / UPS gods, i can sent it cheapest as possible. Price, just offer something reasonable through PM.

Reply 119 of 210, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now you can use Digital sound output on Yamahas in DOS:
Re: Pure DOS gaming system with 100% digital audio output