VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When exiting out of Math Blaster 9-12, DirectX games can't be played. I either get stop errors (BSODs) or those "program has encountered an illegal operation..." messages. Turning off acceleration for directsound causes syncing problems. If you turn the directsound hardware accel back on after exiting the program it will cause errors. Restarting the PC is the only way to fix this.

I'm using the same model motherboard that PhilsComputerLab used in his "fast slot 1 pc" video with a 933 MHZ 133 FSB processor (slot 1), soundblaster 16 isa, and geforce 3 ti 200. I have tried replacing motherboards already. Is there anything else I can do to fix this? My directX version is 8.0, and I think I tried directX 9 but that didn't help.

https://youtu.be/KhtgZpA9Vho

Reply 1 of 3, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Math Blaster is a QuickTime game. Maybe when you exit Math Blaster, QuickTime doesn't shut down completely and holds onto resources that DirectX needs for the DirectX game. You can try checking Task Manager to see if QuickTime is listed as running and try to shut it down.
Probably easiest to just reboot between games though.

Reply 3 of 3, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On Windows 98, I recommend restarting the computer after every gaming session, except for really simple windows games like solitaire and minesweeper. Even with that, I still get about one BSOD a day in Windows 98.