8 bit Gallant Sound Card.jpg
Filename
File size
659.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I searched far and wide in the lands of Google and have come up with nothing except some FCC information:

https://fccid.io/JZ5SC3000N

All this tells me is that it was made by Voicon System Inc.

I am interested in finding out some specifications and if anyone has any experience using this card?

Information I have gathered from an 'amateur' visual inspection is:
- it has a real OPL2 Yamaha YM3812-F chip onboard
- it is an 8 bit ISA card
- it has a midi/game port
- 1x line in; 1 x mic in; 1x speaker out
- 1x 4 pin CD/IN header
- 1 chip labelled "1992 Gallant DSP-9202 303 308601"
- 1 chip labelled "1992 Gallant SC-9203 314"
- JP1 jumpers: IRQ selection of 2, 3, 5, 7.
- JP2 jumpers labelled "I/O 2/4 G"

I've gathered so far that it is of course a Gallant card and that this could may be a pretty good stand-in for an original ad-lib card in one of my XT or 286 systems, but I just want to see if anyone has any experience with this card or has any other information about it.

I will do some testing soon when I get a chance to see how it sounds...I am especially interested in the "MIDI" port and if it by some miracle provides UART mode output (highly doubtful). I wish I had my MIDI devices with me though to test it, but my hoard is in storage far away from me at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

Reply 2 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you Tronix...I just noticed this thread: Help me identify and find drivers for this 8-bit sound card - JZ5SC-4000
It looks like mine may be an SC-4000 as well but there are some differences with cyclone3d's card according to the photos.
I thought that my card may be a different model my FCC says "SC-3000N" but these drivers and files would probably work for mine too (even though I don't think I even need drivers for this).
I will try installing the software and see what happens when I get time.

Reply 3 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I just went on driver guide website and found two SC-3000 driver disks that are similar to the SC-4000 disk images but appear to be win 3.1 drivers I think, so maybe my card is indeed an SC-3000 card (whatever that means 🤣)...hopefully my tests will shed some light on what this card can do.

Reply 6 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

99% chance this is a SoundBlaster 2.0 compatible card so it will carry all it's limitations. Still a great card IMHO for something like an XT to 286/386sx . Don't sweat it - it will work just fine for these systems!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your replies.

I'll give it a try in a couple of my 286 and XT systems when I get a chance to test and I'm sure it will work fine, but I am still curious about the MPU401 capability.

When looking through the driver disks, I noticed that one of the files in there is named "MPU401.EXE". I wonder what this file would be for? Was there any drivers like this for the SB 2.0?

What limitations did the SB 2.0 card have in terms of MIDI capability (it had a 'dumb' non-UART MIDI port, correct?)?

I do have a SB 2.0 card and am waiting for my CMS chips to arrive from china to test CMS...I will have to do some comparison tests with this Gallant card, the (hopefully) CMS cabable SB card, my 8 bit PAS card, and my AdLib card as well to see which ones will win a spot in an 8 bit slot in my XT and 286 systems and maybe in my 'go to' 386 system.

I'll be checking for sound quality and compatibility with my favorite games. And when I get my midi gear out of storage, I will see how the Gallant card pairs with my external MIDI units (MT-32, SC-88, FB-01, etc...)....I'm not expecting anything spectacular or groundbreaking, but it will be nice to see what this card can do.

Reply 8 of 15, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did a quick test of this card today with no drivers and compared it to my SB PRO 2.0 and my PAS 8 bit card in one of my XT and 386 systems.

I ran Lemmings in DOS and it sounded pretty much on par with the SB PRO 2.0. It's not a bad little card...I like the volume control on it and that it is 8 bit ISA. The PAS of course made Lemmings sound much better because of the stereo sound. I may just use it as an AdLib (or SB??) clone card in one of my 286 or XT systems. I should test it with some other games when I get the chance.

When I get my MIDI devices out of storage, I will do some MIDI tests next. As mentioned, I'm not expecting anything spectacular but I do want to confirm it's capabilities.

Reply 9 of 15, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retrofanatic wrote on 2018-11-10, 04:31:
8 bit Gallant Sound Card.jpg […]
Show full quote

I searched far and wide in the lands of Google and have come up with nothing except some FCC information:

I am interested in finding out some specifications and if anyone has any experience using this card?

- 1x 4 pin CD/IN header

I've gathered so far that it is of course a Gallant card and that this could may be a pretty good stand-in for an original ad-lib card in one of my XT or 286 systems, but I just want to see if anyone has any experience with this card or has any other information about it.

I will do some testing soon when I get a chance to see how it sounds...I am especially interested in the "MIDI" port and if it by some miracle provides UART mode output (highly doubtful). I wish I had my MIDI devices with me though to test it, but my hoard is in storage far away from me at the moment.

I have this card with its original package, manual and floppy drivers. It was selled as GALLANT SC-3000...

Maybe you are not interested in anymore but I have all original infos..
Cheers!

Attachments

Reply 10 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ayrton wrote on 2020-12-07, 06:25:
I have this card with its original package, manual and floppy drivers. It was selled as GALLANT SC-3000... […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

- 1x 4 pin CD/IN header

I have this card with its original package, manual and floppy drivers. It was selled as GALLANT SC-3000...

Cheers!

Would it be possible for you to image the floppies and post them here or in the vogonsdrivers thread?

Here is the Vogons Drivers thread:
VOGONS Driver Library

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 15, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-07, 08:49:
Would it be possible for you to image the floppies and post them here or in the vogonsdrivers thread? […]
Show full quote
Ayrton wrote on 2020-12-07, 06:25:
I have this card with its original package, manual and floppy drivers. It was selled as GALLANT SC-3000... […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

- 1x 4 pin CD/IN header

Cheers!

Would it be possible for you to image the floppies and post them here or in the vogonsdrivers thread?

Here is the Vogons Drivers thread:
VOGONS Driver Library

Ah ah! Yesterday I become mad to find the way to do it, but as "user" I have no permission to send private messages to
administrators (I would ask for that, I have also many other things missing in that library and not more actuallt hosted in
any web page) but as per instruction, I could only make a public post a topic on "Milliways". And I did it.
If you are an expert user, help me with this! Yesterday I did not check the floppy status, but I would do it for sure and
also, if possible, I could scan the manual in PDF format to share.
Sometimes I found useful VOGONS library, why is it too difficult for me to improve it? 😀
Be sure I posted to help you! I am a "paranoid obsessive serial accumulator" of old software and hardware stuff, I think
my illness would be positive for others! LoL!

Reply 12 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, the easiest way to make images from the floppies is to use Winimage:
http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm

The free version works fine.

Before you put the disks in the drive, make sure to write protect them by sliding the little tab so there is a hole in the corner of the disk.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-s … reformat-disks/

That way, Windows cannot make changes to the files or add any files to the disk. Better for accurate original images.

If you want to be able to upload to vogonsdrivers, you will need to either PM SquallStrife (you don't have enough posts on the forum to enable PMs) or make a post in the Vogons Driver Library thread I linked earlier.

One of us that already has an account can upload for you. Sharing them on Google Drive is probably one of the better ways since there isn't any lame wait timer or other nonsense that most file sharing sites have.

A scan of the manual would be great as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 15, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-08, 02:10:
Ok, the easiest way to make images from the floppies is to use Winimage: http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm […]
Show full quote

Before you put the disks in the drive, make sure to write protect them by sliding the little tab so there is a hole in the corner of the disk.

That way, Windows cannot make changes to the files or add any files to the disk. Better for accurate original images.

If you want to be able to upload to vogonsdrivers, you will need to either PM SquallStrife (you don't have enough posts on the forum to enable PMs) or make a post in the Vogons Driver Library thread I linked earlier.

One of us that already has an account can upload for you. Sharing them on Google Drive is probably one of the better ways since there isn't any lame wait timer or other nonsense that most file sharing sites have.

The way to make images from floppies is not the trouble, I know well how to do it! 😀
It seems to be not very useful I could upload stuff only after "a certain number of posts", beacuse
if one user needs my stuff... does he have to wait months and months for me to become a user able to do this?
I think uploading original stuff would be a good way to become a "uploader user" soon, just a way to shorten
the time... or have I to make tons of fake posts for this?
I did not understand how to do exactly"a post in the Vogons Driver Library thread"...
Please tell me, I posted the issue on the forum indicated on the instructions but nothing happens.
I will not upload anything on Google drive, if I could be useful here an administrator have to evaluate my request:
if you are or know some "superusers" please ask them for ME AS USER to upload that stuff.
If I could not, it is a nonsense... 😀
I have stuff not present in that library, not only related to this card!

Reply 14 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ayrton wrote on 2020-12-10, 01:08:
The way to make images from floppies is not the trouble, I know well how to do it! :) It seems to be not very useful I could upl […]
Show full quote
Ok, the easiest way to make images from the floppies is to use Winimage: http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm […]
Show full quote

The way to make images from floppies is not the trouble, I know well how to do it! 😀
It seems to be not very useful I could upload stuff only after "a certain number of posts", beacuse
if one user needs my stuff... does he have to wait months and months for me to become a user able to do this?
I think uploading original stuff would be a good way to become a "uploader user" soon, just a way to shorten
I did not understand how to do exactly"a post in the Vogons Driver Library thread"...
Please tell me, I posted the issue on the forum indicated on the instructions but nothing happens.
I will not upload anything on Google drive, if I could be useful here an administrator have to evaluate my request:
if you are or know some "superusers" please ask them for ME AS USER to upload that stuff.

SquallStrife is the owner of vogonsdrivers.com

Only he can set up an account for you.

Post a reply in the vogons driver library thread asking for an account to be set up for you since you can't send PMs yet.
VOGONS Driver Library

I can send him a PM about it if you want but it probably won't make it any faster to get an account.

I see you already posted a reply in that thread. It just takes time as he is not on the forum all the time.

Maybe post another reply asking specifically for an account to be set up for you.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 15, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-10, 03:22:
SquallStrife is the owner of vogonsdrivers.com […]
Show full quote
Ayrton wrote on 2020-12-10, 01:08:
The way to make images from floppies is not the trouble, I know well how to do it! :) It seems to be not very useful I could upl […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

SquallStrife is the owner of vogonsdrivers.com

Only he can set up an account for you.

Post a reply in the vogons driver library thread asking for an account to be set up for you since you can't send PMs yet.
VOGONS Driver Library

I can send him a PM about it if you want but it probably won't make it any faster to get an account.

I see you already posted a reply in that thread. It just takes time as he is not on the forum all the time.

Maybe post another reply asking specifically for an account to be set up for you.

Thank you man!
I tried now to post where you suggested, I like your image profile! I have some ATARI joysticks of Commodore 64,
very funny to build an interface for using into pc!
I will wait for the reply...
Thanks again! 😀