VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread is going to attempt to document the motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA.

I stuck it in sound due to it being used for some PCI sound cards.

ALI:
Aladdin 4
Aladdin 5

AMD:
640 (with 645 bus controller) (relabeled Via VP-2)
750 (751 / 756)
760 (762 / 768)

Intel:
430TX (need to test - not listed in YMF driver readme as supporting DDMA)
440LX (need to test - listed in YMF driver readme as supporting DDMA)
440BX
i810 ?
i815 ?
i815E (ICH2) ?
ICH (southbridge) ?
ICH0 (southbridge) ?
ICH2 (southbridge) ?
ICH3 / ICH3-S (southbridge)?
ICH4 (southbridge) ?
ICH5 (southbridge) ?

ITE:
IT8888 series of PCI-ISA bridge chips

Opti:
Viper-N+ (laptop)

SIS:
5581/82
5597/98
530 (5595 southbridge)
600 (5595 southbridge)
620 (need verification) (5595 southbridge)
63x
645DX+962UA
73x
745 and later?

VIA:
VT82C586B (southbridge)
VT82C686A/B (southbridge)

See the links below for modified configuration utilities for Yamaha YMF based cards.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-12-04, 22:17. Edited 17 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

I would love to get them to work on my SiS 496/497 chipset motherboard
Found couple SIS datasheets here SiS 486 Chipset Datasheets

I see no mention of D-DMA in the datasheets. I am guessing that there are very few to no 486 chipsets that support D-DMA.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

440LX doesn't do DDMA for some weird reason, it uses the same southbridge as 430TX that does. The ICH chipsets doesn't support DDMA as far as I know. For SiS chipsets I had the SiS 645DX+962UA combo running a YMF744 soundcard in DDMA mode.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:

440LX doesn't do DDMA for some weird reason, it uses the same southbridge as 430TX that does. The ICH chipsets doesn't support DDMA as far as I know. For SiS chipsets I had the SiS 645DX+962UA combo running a YMF744 soundcard in DDMA mode.

440LX is listed in the readme from the drivers from Yamaha for the YMF7x4 cards. Looking at the readme again, it doesn't show the 430TX as supporting DDMA.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

440LX is listed in the readme from the drivers from Yamaha for the YMF7x4 cards. Looking at the readme again, it doesn't show the 430TX as supporting DDMA.

Have to try out a YMF7x4 on my Abit LX6 sometime then. 😀

YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Have to try out a YMF7x4 on my Abit LX6 sometime then. 😀

Try with the 3.14 set that is in my google drive link.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:

ICH 5 and earlier support DDMA AFAIK but onwards is nono?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that is correct.. although 810 and 815 don't specifically say they support it in the datasheets although they do list PC/PCI.

815E is paired with ICH2.

I will be doing testing to verify although I am pretty sure that they do since a modified setupds.exe already exists for ICH2, ICH4 and ICH5.

The datasheets do not mention D-DMA but they do mention LPC DMA which seems to be just a slightly different implementation that should work the same from what I understand about it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Please have a look at the chart in my signture, do you see any ICH chipsets tested successfully with DDMA?

YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Please have a look at the chart in my signture, do you see any ICH chipsets tested successfully with DDMA?

Nope.. Strange, though. Scientific method for the win here. I have an ES1938 without a PC/PCI header that I have used successfully on an i810 PC using Win9x though, maybe it was using something other than DDMA.

Reply 11 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Nope.. Strange, though. Scientific method for the win here. I have an ES1938 without a PC/PCI header that I have used successfully on an i810 PC using Win9x though, maybe it was using something other than DDMA.

Probably ESS own TDMA mode or one of the WBDMA modes, but it doesn't work very well on ICH chipsets.

YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Does Intel 82801BA southbridge support ddma?

No.

YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Probably ESS own TDMA mode or one of the WBDMA modes, but it doesn't work very well on ICH chipsets.

Oh yeah, it was TDMA.

Reply 16 of 28, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everyone should note that while these chipsets support DDMA, it doesn't automatically mean that motherboards that have these chipsets will be able to use it properly.

I have an ABIT SL-30T motherboard that stubbornly refuses to enable legacy access on any sound card that I have tested (Yamaha YMF724, SB-Live, ESS Solo-1) except for Aureal Vortex based cards.

Reply 17 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote:

Everyone should note that while these chipsets support DDMA, it doesn't automatically mean that motherboards that have these chipsets will be able to use it properly.

I have an ABIT SL-30T motherboard that stubbornly refuses to enable legacy access on any sound card that I have tested (Yamaha YMF724, SB-Live, ESS Solo-1) except for Aureal Vortex based cards.

Yeah, the BIOS and implementation is going to play a part. I am just trying to get a full list of those chipsets that support D-DMA.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So looking into chipsets that support DDMA but that don't work in practice at least on some motherboards, I am thinking that DDMA is not being enabled by the BIOS.

This looks to be a possible issue with some VIA chipset based motherboards at least. I have not looked into other chipsets yet.

I'm going to see if I can make a utility that will change the register settings to enable DDMA on these chipsets when they don't work by default.

I wonder if PCISet or WPCREDT/WPCRSET would be able to do this.... going to test and see if it does. If it does, then that would make it that much easier to make a stand-alone utility just for this purpose.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK