User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlaricD wrote:
I meant the sound quality of the video itself, not of the gameplay. […]
Show full quote
DOSfan1994 wrote:
AlaricD wrote:

The poor sound quality is a bit off-putting.

With the HDMI.

I meant the sound quality of the video itself, not of the gameplay.

I bet the main GPU on this will have 3D acceleration.

Looks like it from the Quake II footage.

Again that is to be the prototype. So that might change.

It would be pretty cool to install Win9x on it, but driver support might be iffy.

If there needs to be driver support for Windows 95 on PC classic Mini. Then I wonder if the USB ports would be used for IDE ,and too use devices as well. Like for IDE, you can plug in a USB disk drive to be used as the CD drive, so you can install games and software and use them on the console. If that will suppport it, then maybe it can be the same for using USB floppy drive for more of a retro and more authentic expereince. Another I am wondering if you can use it's USB capabilities ito plug in a USB flash drive, SD to USB card, a hard disk enclousure or IDE to USB by putting plugging a HD or SSD and all of these choices can be used as a extra hard drive. And to be used for accessibility to bring some old software and drivers you found online and bring it over to your modern day PC to your PC classic mini. For multiplayer you can use the USB ports to install a USB to Ethernet port and Ethernet cable for LAN. Oh if the USB ports are to let you use to install drivers then the PC classic mini would have to to use like a USB to USB-C with a aorus GTX gaming box enclousure to be used as some extra PCI slots.

Reply 24 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Let's just cut to the chase : this won't ever run Lego Creator.

Please. This is not something about PCem... Okay.... I am now have patience for the emulator now. I may not buy this mini console man. I'm justing waiting for PCem to get better emulation.

Reply 25 of 60, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also I doubt it's Q2DOS that is involved - there are easily reachable native linux ports of Quake2 on the Raspbian repositories. A native linux port != "run windows 95 3d games"

No optimism for the marketing and plans for the viral snake oil here. I'm not impressed. The fame claim seems to be just "We're in Baltimore therefore we're physically near game companies". If Atari can't fulfill promises for their mini (which had some "run pc games" sidetrack iirc) while exploiting nostalgia out of their well-known zombie-of-a-brand for easy viral attraction, I don't expect a company i've never heard of gain any more traction. Heck, basing their apparently-trademarked logo off the EnergyStar and IBM logos made me wince...

Last edited by leileilol on 2018-11-14, 03:12. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Also I doubt it's Q2DOS that is involved - there are easily reachable native linux ports of Quake2 on the Raspbian repositories. A native linux port != "run windows 95 3d games"

No optimism for the marketing and plans for the viral snake oil here. I'm not impressed. The fame claim seems to be just "We're in Baltimore therefore we're physically near game companies". If Atari can't fulfill promises for their mini (which had some "run pc games" sidetrack iirc) while exploiting nostalgia out of their well-known zombie-of-a-brand for easy viral attraction, I don't expect a company i've never heard of gain any more traction.

You're correct...

I rather wait for PCem to emulate better hardware and a better dynamic recomplier. I'm better of with PCem. This thing is part of a trend that is oversaturated.

Reply 27 of 60, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know who this is marketed for.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 28 of 60, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me the appeal of these mini systems is not only the games you can play and the convenience of hdmi but its also the look of the system. The NES classic SNES classic and the PlayStation classic so far appear to be the only mini systems that actually look like the original system. This PC looks like nothing I have ever seen or used...it is just ugly. I would be 100% sold on it if it looked like an original IBM 5150 or even like a generic beige minitower or desktop case with an LED readout. That would have been much better IMO.
The branding is important. Imagine if IBM itself put out something like this or at least commissioned someone to build a mini 5150 classic system with a ‘genuine’ to scale replica case, I would guarantee there would be much more interest.

A big part of the appeal is the official joysticks / controllers as well.

Reply 29 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:

For me the appeal of these mini systems is not only the games you can play and the convenience of hdmi but its also the look of the system. The NES classic SNES classic and the PlayStation classic so far appear to be the only mini systems that actually look like the original system. This PC looks like nothing I have ever seen or used...it is just ugly. I would be 100% sold on it if it looked like an original IBM 5150 or even like a generic beige minitower or desktop case with an LED readout. That would have been much better IMO.
The branding is important. Imagine if IBM itself put out something like this or at least commissioned someone to build a mini 5150 classic system with a ‘genuine’ to scale replica case, I would guarantee there would be much more interest.

A big part of the appeal is the official joysticks / controllers as well.

Surely and aussmingly that Unit-E will make PC classic to have the ability to do VMs. (Virtual machines.)

Reply 32 of 60, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It won't.

Well I have an update for all you people.

I got an email from the good people at Unit-e games that.

They said they are going to have a GUI that loads the preconigured games on it. And they also said they are investigating whether a command prompt with direct access to the disk is feasible from a licensing perspective, and wheter that's palatable to game licensors. (They would be at greater risk of piracy.) For them, it would not be like straight to the point to put Windows on the device since it uses ARM architecture.

And they also said it could be possible in emulation.

Welp leileilol you were right. It's not going to run Lego creator or windows at all. It's only going to be focused on DOS games and have it's own OS and GUI. I mean what's the point of buying this since you have your modern day computer to play it on. And yes I am now officially patient for a new PCem to get with a newly made dynamic recomplier and hardware to emulate. I could have realized that it could have been a great idea to just wait.

You know what I am going to do. I am going to make my own Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 mini for my self once PCem get's a better dynamic recomplier and better hardware.

Reply 33 of 60, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why do people pay for these things when the Raspberry Pi 3B exists?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 35 of 60, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:

Because of nostalagia.

🤣 what?

I'm guessing it's because a lot of people want things to a) just work and b) come in a cute case with cute packaging. Nothing at all wrong with that and I'm guessing that the people who will go the extra mile to buy the relevant bits and configure it all themselves are in the minority?

Something like this interests me more: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Check out that list of available cores! And yes there's a 486 core in there, including SoundBlaster 2.0 with better OPL2/3 implementation apparently.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 36 of 60, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've contemplated buying the original MiST as an Amiga replacement a couple of years ago, but decided to start collecting real Amiga hardware instead.

I can tell you that was certainly not the right choice from a budget perspective. The MiST was awesome, MiSTer will definitely be better, I am eventually going to buy one.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37 of 60, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I can tell you that was certainly not the right choice from a budget perspective.

Still a solid choice IMHO, lots of fun to be had with the original hardware. I've almost come to the conclusion that messing with the original hardware and playing games can be considered separate hobbies. I got into the old hardware again with games in mind but restorations / upgrades quickly turned into the game to beat. Now that I have everything I want hardware wise I find myself just wanting to sit down and jump into a particular game, but pulling heavy boxes out of the shed and setting up the relevant machine doesn't really do it for me. Having something like the MiSTer ready to rock with whatever I want is pretty appealing.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 38 of 60, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's game-data-packager on the raspbian repository and if you have a Gog account it'll import and extract setups from the games you own that are supported by it (where available for ARM, which are usually those gpl'd ports or ScummVM'd things)

that makes this whole commercial prospect of a piclone fauxstalgiabox seem a short term flop. Who knows, maybe they'll demonize game-data-packager as "piracy" somehow in the event should he actually succeed in acquiring licenses....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 39 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:

....it would not be like straight to the point to put Windows on the device since it uses ARM architecture.

This means it uses an emulator to translate DOS x86 instructions to ARM.

There is no comparision to the raspberry Pi 3 because like I wrote before: it is to slow to run Doom (DOS x86) comfortably. Or am I missing something? I am not a Pi 3 user because I prefer x86 and more Speed.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul