VOGONS

First post, by M4tthewd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure what category this exactly falls in.
I got my hands on a snes mini clone, GC22P SUPER MINI TV GAME CONSOLE (which is running strictly 8 bit games), taking it apart I see that it contains a 256M Samsung k5l5563caa which when I searched up led me to this page. http://www.datasheetcafe.com/k5l5563caa-d770-datasheet-pdf/
I have attached photos as well. The Clone has a micro B connector for power and 3.5mm jack for AV. Hooking up the micro B to a pc, nothing comes up. From what I've read, the snes classic has to be powered on a certain way for the pc to read it. Trying that, (holding the reset button and turning the power on and letting go of the reset button after) had no effect. The manual on the first page, on the first line says "1.Its is built-in classic games, which cannot be changed". Literally the first thing it says, so now I know it has to be hacked 🤣.

Attachments

• Chip.jpg
    Filename
    Chip.jpg
    File size
    94.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • case.png
    Filename
    case.png
    File size
    293.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by M4tthewd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So further investigation into it I can see that the usb micro b is only power, no data lines run from it. Looking at the webpage I linked, I noticed the MODEL 1950 (which is an eprom programmer). https://www.minatoat.co.jp/en/product/dp/lineup/model1950/ Its used for doing multiple flashes at once. But I currently have no programmers to flash the memory.

Reply 2 of 3, by M4tthewd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently contacted a manufacturer for the chips and a programmer/reader for the Samsung chips. Not terribly sure what I'm doing or the rabbit hole I'm getting myself into 🤣 but hobbies are great!

Reply 3 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if you have a real SNES Classic to compare? The reason I ask is, those NES Classic knock-offs that were making rounds are actually a really good copy of the NES Classic's shell. The hardware is cheap and the firmware is a complete waste of time, but I really don't care about the guts at all.

I figure, if one could develop an FPGA-based PCB that would fit in the original Classic shell, and the clones are a 100% replica of that shell, then you could have an authentic (or cheap, easy-to-source, and authentic-looking) mini clone of the OG NES that plays ROM images with hardware-level accuracy, with native HDMI out... which would be pretty sweet.

I've already got a big collection of consoles and genuine software, but it takes a lot of space, a nonsensical sum of money, and considerable dedication to get it all hooked up and looking good. Ongoing maintenance is always a concern as well, so I've been jail-breaking OSes or replacing ODDs to ensure they'll keep running when the optical drives and card edge connectors have long since given up. Some day, emulation will be the ONLY way, and with prices as they are these days, if I were starting now, I don't know that I would bother with original hardware when there's a way to do it just as well, except better.