VOGONS

First post, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For my WIP 486 DOS build, I purchased this Acculogic sIDE-4/VL VLB controller card and after installing it, I quickly realized that it does not detect the hard drive I'm using. I know it's not the hard drive or cables, I've tested both in another computer. The card goes through checking the floppy cable and detects the 5¼" and 3½" drives installed, but after the mem check there's about 30 seconds of nothing and then the error appears,

"Hard disk(s) fail (80)"

There are a ton of jumpers on the board and I've derped around with them a bit but I can't get the card to detect the hard drive 😕

There's even a website online with the jumper configurations listed and I've got both VESA IDE and normal IDE enabled but both don't work at all.

FYI the hard drive is a Conner CP30254, 250 MB.

Attachments

• IMG_5447.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5447.JPG
    File size
    697.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_5448.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5448.JPG
    File size
    956.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_5449.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5449.JPG
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_5450.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5450.JPG
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had that exact combo working on a 486 back in the day. I had that card and a 250MB Conner as my older of 2 drives (I think it was connected as primary slave). I don't know if it was the same model drive but very likely so. Back maybe 15 years ago I could have been more helpful but I don't seem to have the drive anymore and I don't have a VLB motherboard anymore either.
I might still have the manual, but if that website was a copy of the manual then that won't do any good. If there's any doubt about the website info then I can look for the manual though.

I remember my 40MB Conner needed some revised/undocumented jumper settings in some cases even with older cards, and I never got it to work at all with this EIDE VLB card. But I don't remember having any such problems with the 250MB.

Back in the 90s my first VLB IDE card (a different, unknown generic card) was defective and had symptoms like this. It would fail to detect the hard drive 9 times out of 10, but then occasionally would detect it and boot normally. I never found a solution other than returning it. I also had the same symptoms on an IBM laptop when a service shop swapped the motherboard with one that apparently had this same defect - again it would boot successfully about 10% of the time but otherwise kept producing this detection error. Again, it was only fixed by having the board replaced.
So I have to say that I've seen this symptom on defective IDE controllers twice before, and from what I've read on this site, VLB cards in general are apparently known for being flaky in old age. My Acculogic sIDE-4/VL card was always totally reliable but that was back in the 90s.
Hopefully it's just a jumper issue but I wouldn't be surprised if the card is at fault, maybe a cracked solder joint somewhere or dirty contacts.
Have you tried different slots or poked around in the motherboard settings? Since the IDE function might be the only part of the card that cares about VLB, I wonder if it's possible that dirty contacts in the extended part of the slot or some kind of configuration problem between the card and motherboard could cause issues with IDE while everything else works normally. I'm just grasping at straws when I say that though.

Reply 3 of 8, by Paul_B

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope this group can help. I acquired an acculogic sIDE-4/VL controller but I cannot find the correct installation manual showing the jumper settings. I have found another board on stason.org showing a different version of the same part number board. Thanks in advanced.

Reply 4 of 8, by Paul_B

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope this group can help. I acquired an acculogic sIDE-4/VL controller but I cannot find the correct installation manual showing the jumper settings. I have found another board on stason.org showing a different version of the same part number board. Thanks in advanced.

Reply 6 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the late reply. I saw Paul_B's post a few weeks ago and then I forgot to follow up on this.

I just looked through my bag of old manuals and found a manual for the Acculogic sIDE-4/VL. I also found one for the sIDE-4/PLUS (an ISA model).
I suppose I should try to scan them sometime, but for now I'll just post the jumper info.
I might also be able to find the driver floppy. I remember it having a TSR that dramatically sped up an EIDE drive in DOS.

My version of the sIDE-4/VL manual says on the front page "Part No. 520-00434-00-A00 December 1994". I don't have my card handy but if there's any question about what version of the card this manual is for, I can try to find the card.

pg3
===================
The sIDE-4/VL board factory settings are:
VESA IDE: ENABLED (with IRQ14)
ISA IDE: DISABLED (with IRQ15)
Floppy disk controller: ENABLED
Primary COM port (DB9): COM1 (3F8H), IRQ4
Secondary COM port (DB25): COM2 (2F8H), IRQ3
Printer port: LPT1 (378H), IRQ7
ECP: DMA3
<< diagram shows the VESA IDE is the outermost connector. ISA IDE is between that and the Floppy connector. >>
<< COM2 is next to the floppy, and COM1 is closest to the bracket. >>
<< Pin1 of each connector is shown facing away from the bracket. >>

==============================
pg8 (Jumper Settings)
==============================
The tables below show the default (*) and optional settings for each port.
Important: You must resolve any conflicts between the sIDE-4/VL default configuration and your system configuration.

Floppy Controller
-----------------
Jumper Configuration Jumper Settings
JP14 Floppy disk 1&2 Floppy enabled*
control 2&3 Floppy disabled
JP15 Floppy disk 1&2 Primary*
address control 2&3 Secondary

Serial Port
-----------
JP16 & Secondary JP16 JP17 Function
JP17 serial port ---- ---- --------
1&2 1&2 COM2, 2F8h*
1&2 2&3 COM1, 3F8h
2&3 1&2 COM4, 2E8h
2&3 2&3 Disabled

JP18&19 Primary JP18 JP19 Function
serial port ---- ---- --------
1&2 1&2 COM1, 3F8h*
2&3 1&2 COM2, 2F8h
1&2 2&3 COM3, 3E8h
2&3 2&3 Disabled

JP20 Interrupt 2&4 Primary IRQ4* 1&3 Secondary IRQ3*
control 3&4 Primary IRQ3 1&2 Secondary IRQ4
6&8 Primary IRQ5 5&7 Secondary IRQ9
7&8 Primary IRQ9 5$6 Secondary IRQ5

Parallel Port
-------------
To run the port in ECP or EPP mode, load the ECP/EPP driver included in the INSTALL program.
JP9 & Parallel port JP9 JP10 Function
JP10 address --- ---- --------
1&2 1&2 378h*
1&2 2&3 278h
2&3 2&3 3BCh
Show last 38 lines
                        2&3  1&2   Disabled

JP11 Printer port 1&2 IRQ7*
interrupt 2&3 IRQ5

JP12 & Enhanced parallel JP12 JP13 Function
JP13 port DMA ---- ---- --------
1&2 1&2 DMA3*
2&3 2&3 DMA1

IDE Controllers (ISA and VESA)
------------------------------
JP1 ISA IDE 1&2 ISA IDE disabled*
enabled/disabled 2&3 ISA IDE enabled

JP2 ISA IDE address 1&2 ISA secondary IDE selected (170h)*
2&3 ISA primary IDE selected (1F0h)

JP3 ISA secondary IDE 1&2 IOCHRDY not connected *
I/O channel ready 2&3 IOCHRDY connected
(IOCHRDY)

JP4 ISA secondary IDE 1&2 IRQ15*
interrupt select 2&3 IRQ14

JP5 VESA IDE 1&2 Enabled *
enabled/disabled 2&3 Disabled

JP6 VESA IDE 1&2 VESA primary IDE IRQ14 *
interrupt select 2&3 VESA secondary IDE IRQ15

JP7 VESA IDE 1&2 VESA primary IDE address 1F0h *
address 2&3 VESA secondary IDE address 170h

JP8 VESA I/O address 1&2 VESA I/O address 078h/07Ch *
2&3 VESA I/O address 178h/17Ch

Reply 7 of 8, by Paul_B

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Read your reply but not the correct board. This seems to fit the board on stason.org, which has the same part number but different board??. Also this board has 33 jumpers minus J15, J22, and J25 which are not present.

Paul_B