VOGONS

First post, by Delmay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is possibly not the right thread or even forum for this question, so feel free to take it down as necessary.

I have a functional copy of Wing Commander running on DOSBox, my goal (don't laugh) is to create custom Kilrathi NPC's in a game called Garry's Mod, which is a standalone physics sandbox game based on a modded version of the HL2 Source engine. My Inspiration for doing such is a mod for Garry's Mod called gmDoom, which is a partial Source conversion of Doom, and uses a Doom.wad file to function.
My goal was to port the sprites and rendering technique from Wing Commander in a similar fashion to how it was done in gmDoom, but all graphical elements in the gamedat folder of Wing Commander seem to be file extensions that no modern software wants to deal with. Does anyone know of a way to convert the graphical elements of DOS games? Any help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Most of the time these were custom file formats. No cure for all. Browse through the Wing Commander CiC site, maybe you find a clue there

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper