VOGONS

Reply 2140 of 4586, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@dionb

- *Really* cheap crap ATX miditower - LC-Power "300W" timebomb - PC Chips M789CLU v1.2 FlexATX board with Via C3 Samuel 2 "1500+ […]
Show full quote

- *Really* cheap crap ATX miditower
- LC-Power "300W" timebomb
- PC Chips M789CLU v1.2 FlexATX board with Via C3 Samuel 2 "1500+"
- 2x 256MB PC2100 DDR

ironically, that's probably the most interesting board in the lot. What was in the towers? Those things are keepers imho.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2141 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

@dionb

[...]

ironically, that's probably the most interesting board in the lot.

Not sure, that i430FX board with PLB and five ISA slots is pretty unusual, I was having trouble finding anything with more than four and most things with lots of ISA only have asynch. Let's hope it and the PC Chips thing actually work.

What was in the towers? Those things are keepers imho.

They were numbers 6 & 7. Nothing too special. The towers themselves were a bit rusty. I have an AOpen HQ8 which is internally the same tower, just a different front. Won't be keeping these two myself, but they look suitably impressive for school purposes. Plus good build quality and no hand-shredding sharp edges. That case that the M789 came in is another story. Wafer-thin and cutting edges galore. It's going straight to recycling. I might be using the miditower I suspect is an Inwin case (#4, now containing the P3) myself. My son's retro PC is in a very similar case, but with detachable motherboard tray. Sounds great, but for some reason it was combined with a big U-shaped case cover without detachable side panels. I like motherboard trays, but I like side panels even more. I think I'll be swapping stuff round. Either way it leaves another very sturdy case for the children at school not to cut themselves on.

Reply 2142 of 4586, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had some good luck today while walking back from the shops. Someone seemed to be throwing out some old home office equipment and documents. From the pile, I collected the following:

1) Microsoft Office Professional 4.3 Boxed
2) Panasonic KX-P2123 Dot Matrix Printer.

There were some other goodies there too but they didn't interest me - mainly late 90s or early 00s scanner and inkjets, which is sadly a bit too late for my tastes.

The reason the printer is amusing was because I recently acquired a KX-P1123, a printer I had used a lot in the past. It works, but it wasn't complete. The top cover for paper feeding was missing.

This printer is in great condition. Not yellowed, very clean, has all the components attached. It works too after doing a quick self-test.

The boxed copy of Office seems to be missing something. I'm not sure what as I don't have anything else to reference it too. Possibly the disks. All the manuals seem to be inside though. I could find out with a bit of searching.

I tried digging through the other piles of paper there to see if there was anything else, but the further down I got the more it smelt like cat piss, and that wasn't something I felt like dealing with at 10pm in front of a strangers house.

Both will require some cleaning from dust and stuff, but hey, it's free!

Bad, late night, low light photos:

jlGxv25l.jpg
jZ2GfFcl.jpg
AXkZtBHl.jpg
VEhaKngl.jpg
nWC1pKxl.jpg

And some sloppily inserted, incorrectly selected paper size A4 paper for a quick test print, which is now blurry because the paper moved while taking the photo 🤣

0DJbJzEl.jpg

Reply 2143 of 4586, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, you probably already know but just in case you don't, 4.3 is the last version to support Win3x

Reply 2144 of 4586, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

Nice, you probably already know but just in case you don't, 4.3 is the last version to support Win3x

What is the last version of Works for Win3x?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2145 of 4586, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

What is the last version of Works for Win3x?

Works 3 by the looks of it (which is what I run for nostalgic reasons)
You can just make out the system requirements for Works 4 here
https://goughlui.com/2013/09/08/tech-flashbac … t-v4-0-upgrade/

Reply 2146 of 4586, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use Works 3 as well. I didn't start using Word until I moved on to Windows 98; I was a Works guy up until then (used Works 3 under OS/2 Warp 3 during the Windows 95 era, that OS simply does not exist to me, I think I used it only briefly, for half a year at most)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2147 of 4586, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
x0zm_ wrote:

I tried digging through the other piles of paper there to see if there was anything else, but the further down I got the more it smelt like cat piss, and that wasn't something I felt like dealing with at 10pm in front of a strangers house.

This, right here, is one of the greatest, most fantastic paragraphs ever to grace Vogons forums. 🤣

https://youtu.be/5_s5-R_JE4c

Reply 2148 of 4586, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Today responded to a 'come save this stuff from 486 to P4 from the dumpster' ad. It was worth it: […]
Show full quote

Today responded to a 'come save this stuff from 486 to P4 from the dumpster' ad. It was worth it:

full.png

Nine systems, from AT minitower via OEM cases to ATX bigtowers. Will take stock & pics of what I have here later this evening.

Wow that system on the bottom right is pretty nice looking. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2149 of 4586, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

Right, here goes, first impression (no testing or disassembly, just what I could see):

This is a really good haul! 😁

The Chaintech 6BTM0 is a board I worked with quite a lot. Some don't support Coppermine but some do, though I can't remember the details about which ones could and which ones couldn't.

The 4 RAM slots is nice and I always found it to have a good mix of expansion slots.

I used one of these to test the free multipliers on a Deschutes 333 years ago 😀

Loved working with these boards 😁

I'm maybe a little bit jealous of your GF1, I never got around to get me one of those (even not an SDR version of the card).

I had also build a couple rigs around MSI A64 boards, one which seems awfully familiar to your s754 board.
The memory should be DDR1, PC6400 sounds as if it's supposed to be DDR2 😜
I had this board (or one very similar to it) as it has AGP.

The southbridge comes in a couple different varieties, some had a bugged SATA controller which may give some troubles with SATA2 drives.

I also liked this board a lot, it was very dependable as one of my main LAN rigs and it basically worked flawless for years 😁

I'm not 100% sure this is my exact board, but it's very similar 😜

Also love the FSP PSUs in there. Too bad these have gotten very old now, but even the second hand ones were very dependable.

Very nice haul! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2150 of 4586, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not from a dumpster. I "found" this when going through some boxes I packed up more than a decade ago. My old MP3/CD/VCD player from undergrad days. Yes, VCD, as in VideoCD. It has a composite video jack on the side next to the headphone out. 😎 I used to lug this thing everywhere but still managed to keep it pristine. Dunno what I'm gonna do with it, but nice to see it still works.

CameraZOOM-20181120201124693.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181120201124693.jpg
File size
333.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CameraZOOM-20181120201205508.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181120201205508.jpg
File size
173.15 KiB
Views
File license

^^ Still funny to find NCIX.com warranty tags attached to things, after their rather spectacular failure & bankruptcy last year. Gone but not forgotten. I think I ordered this from them around 2000.

CameraZOOM-20181120201347075.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181120201347075.jpg
File size
240.51 KiB
Views
File license

^^ Surprisingly the 15+ year old CR2032 battery in the remote still works fine. Also surprisingly, someone bothered to make a portable CD player with a remote. (IIRC it was actually useful when playing an MP3-CD with hundreds of files...)

I also found my old VHS camera and a stack of tapes. Charging the battery now, but who knows how much life it'll give. The tapes are most likely full of early-2000s amateur motorsports footage and car meets. Will have some fun going through them.

CameraZOOM-20181120210253709.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181120210253709.jpg
File size
312.49 KiB
Views
File license

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this either; guess it's handy to have around in case I need to make vaporwave.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2151 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. I found my mom's old Sony DCR-TRV260 HandyCam that I currently have in my room and the camera's video heads need a cleaning again, and I have no idea how much battery life is left on either the extended battery or the other battery. My plan is to buy blank DVDs, setup my iMac G4/800 with the keyboard, mouse, and the Sony iLink FireWire cable to archive the tapes onto DVDs (that should be fun).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2152 of 4586, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw a creative pci card in the bin today. It was CT7260. I didn't know what it was so I took it. Did some checking at home and realized that it isn't very useful card without any cables.
It will probably have to go back in the bin.

junk.jpg
Filename
junk.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 2153 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like an MPEG2 encoder card for watching DVDs and MPEG2 videos since the older PCI video cards didn't support hardware encoding for MPEG2 until later on.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2154 of 4586, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Looks like an MPEG2 encoder card for watching DVDs and MPEG2 videos since the older PCI video cards didn't support hardware encoding for MPEG2 until later on.

Yeah and because I don't have the cable to connect video card to this card, it is probably useless like I said. I was hoping I found something interesting, so it is too bad.

Reply 2155 of 4586, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I saw a creative pci card in the bin today. It was CT7260. I didn't know what it was so I took it. Did some checking at home and realized that it isn't very useful card without any cables.

junk.jpg

You can use the card for decoding mpeg1/mpeg2 without the pass through cable by hooking it up to a TV or other monitor with a suitable input (S-Video/Composite).

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2156 of 4586, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can understand, it only requires a VGA pass thru cable (like the ones used for Voodoo2 cards) and it is cheaply available in ebay and similar places. It's basicly a very short VGA extender cable (with female and male connectors at each end).

I have the CT7160 version of this card and it uses feature connector to connect to a VGA card and only supports a limited set of VGA chipsets so its basicly useless. But this one looks promising (it even has a TV capture function I guess - that Bt865 chip)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2157 of 4586, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not quite. That VGA port is VGA out. VGA in goes via a proprietary mini-DIN connector. Shouldn't be that hard to find, but a bit less simple than a Voodoo1/2-style cable.

Reply 2158 of 4586, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone dropped this at work. Looks pretty neat, but the awful Toshiba 4200 rpm HDD with that stupid LIF connector makes upgrading it a pain in the ass and not really worth the effort. Also I think the RAM limit is 2 Gb, but should be enough for XP.

dell.jpg
Filename
dell.jpg
File size
207.11 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-d … e-series/specs/

Last edited by sf78 on 2018-12-05, 15:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2159 of 4586, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Don't throw it away. Sell it on eBay (or somewhere else). I'm sure someone out there wants one of those.