VOGONS

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my all-in-one retro rig. Has practically everything I need for older stuff. Windows 2000, XP, 7-64, DOSBox, PCem, 86box with 486 and 386 configs, a boatload o' soundfonts, etc.

AkZ14VCm.jpg

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz quad core processor
8GB DDR2 RAM (4x2GB)
3.5" floppy drive
DVD-ROM drive
DVD/RW drive
AMD FirePro V3900 1GB PCIe video card
128GB Samsung PM851 SSD
640GB 7200RPM Western Digital hard drive
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Professional
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
6xUSB 2.0 ports rear
2xUSB 2.0 ports front
Audio line in/out jacks front/rear
Gigabit ethernet
Serial port
Parallel port
DisplayPort
DVI
Latest BIOS

0iP7Rtim.jpg

Side panels were really scratched up

hNIKG94m.jpg

Spray paint!

5vcsIh4m.jpg

Much better

smvWDNHm.jpg

The rear, BTX layout

WMaDL13m.jpg

The guts, all cleaned up

vvDMopUm.jpg

Lower area of the case

5VYNDaIm.jpg

The GPU

fHDW0hsm.jpg

BIOS screen

oGe8hbxm.jpg

Processor info

zTCKX0Um.jpg

Memory info

8e1RLPMm.jpg

Triple boot... wait, what?!

J3p5VYym.jpg

Good ol' boot.ini

Yy6S5okm.jpg

Windows 2000 desktop

D76AMiBm.jpg

Programs + specs

57tYDm5m.jpg

YouTube on Windows 2000 in 2018!

qFXRiCbm.jpg

Windows XP desktop

q8WeN0Qm.jpg

Programs + specs

Q6mSR9Zm.jpg

Windows 7 desktop

N5fEDOom.jpg

Specs

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 13, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like these optiplex towers. Try out the CPU pin tape trick, overclocks the fsb to 1333mhz and the clock speed to 3.0ghz. Makes a massive difference in performance! If you have the cpu pin side up, with the notches on the bottom towards you, it is the first pin above the right notch, and the pin two above it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 13, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really nice. I have an Optiplex 745 (small desktop) that I use for burning DVDs out of old VHS tapes and DVR recordings of rare TV programs. It gets the job done patiently, but it's too bad it can't benefit from some of the upgrades that you've done to yours (mainly an SSD and a Core 2 Quad - The small form factor models are limited to Core 2 Duos and there's no room for an SSD due to the motherboard only having two SATA ports).

Reply 3 of 13, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want PS/2 ports, Dell sold a little breakout panel that plugs into the motherboard and even gives you a 2nd serial port (mostly there because later models eliminated the port from the back panel).

Reply 4 of 13, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

It gets the job done patiently, but it's too bad it can't benefit from some of the upgrades that you've done to yours (mainly an SSD and a Core 2 Quad - The small form factor models are limited to Core 2 Duos and there's no room for an SSD due to the motherboard only having two SATA ports).

Do you have the SFF version that has the pci/pcie riser card? If so I have successfully installed a Q6600 in one that originally had a Pentium dual core. It had a copper core HSF stock and although the fan kicked up pretty high under load it worked great at decent temps. Make sure you have the latest bios!

I couldnt get a straight answer online and had a Q6600 on hand so decided to give it a try.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh sweet, didn't know about the PS/2 ports... I recall seeing a black port on the mobo that said SER2 on it so that makes sense. Gonna nab one! Thank you.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 13, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Do you have the SFF version that has the pci/pcie riser card? If so I have successfully installed a Q6600 in one that originally had a Pentium dual core. It had a copper core HSF stock and although the fan kicked up pretty high under load it worked great at decent temps. Make sure you have the latest bios!

I couldnt get a straight answer online and had a Q6600 on hand so decided to give it a try.

Mine is the small desktop model without the riser card (just has the slots on the motherboard like they normally would), there's a difference between "small form factor" and "small desktop" when it comes to these older Dell Optiplex systems (the SFF has a laptop optical drive whereas the small desktop has a desktop optical drive), so if this really does work with the SFF, it should work with my small desktop. I'll consider swapping the Q6600 from my HP DC7800 since I plan on using that system for XP gaming which doesn't need a quad core as much as video editing does. Officially, Core 2 Quads were supported on the tower models only so I didn't think it would work.

Reply 7 of 13, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Although I prefer them beige I'm a sucker for anything from the optiplex line. I know they're the mass produced enterprise-y Dell stuff but I find the guts so easy to work with and Dell, for all their faults, is amazing at keeping legacy drivers online and easy to get.

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 9 of 13, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The good old "cap killer" Optiplex. And in case you missed it, yours already has one badly blown up and others just waiting their turn. 🤣

5VYNDaI.jpg
Filename
5VYNDaI.jpg
File size
434.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 13, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

The good old "cap killer" Optiplex. And in case you missed it, yours already has one badly blown up and others just waiting their turn. 🤣

5VYNDaI.jpg

Ouch, good catch there. Thankfully my Optiplex 745 motherboard doesn't have blown capacitors. The GX520 motherboard that it replaced had some blown capacitors and I'm guessing one of them was responsible for the CMOS battery because even after changing the GX520's CMOS battery, it still wouldn't keep its settings.

Hopefully oeuvre's Optiplex survives, if it gets too bad, replacement motherboards should still be plentiful (IDK if he has ever done capacitor replacement, so I'm suggesting this just in case).

Reply 12 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow thanks and good eye! Motherboards for it are less than $20 shipped so if it starts acting funky I'll just buy a new one.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 13, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got the PS/2 ports + serial port bracket and it works like a charm.

EDIT: Also ordered replacement mobo.

ws90Ts2.gif