VOGONS

whata ima gonna getta

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by imikeyi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey its my first post!

Anyway, I think its time to upgrade my Athlon 750 system. It's gonna take time. Here's how I'm gonna do it:
- 80gb harddisk, because ide0 keeps resetting in linux with my old harddisk (uh oh)
- a pci TNT2, and a flat CRT monitor (for dual monitor viewing, one desktop just isn't enough these days)
-------------------
then when the time comes (ie I have enough money), I will buy a new motherboard and a P4 to sit it in, get myself a silent power supply and 512 MB RAM.

I don't play state-of-the-art games on my PC anymore btw, only emulators. I have an xbox now yasee, and Doom3 is coming to xbox 😉
So...... reckon I should look for a dual head graphics card instead? Or run a seperate agp and pci graphics card?

microkernel advance
static recompilation

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You want a vid card with dual outputs. Go for a NVIDIA/ATI card, or if you do not care about the latest and greatest games then get a Matrox Gx Series card.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

I don't think you can have video output to both PCI and AGP busses..

You'd be wrong:
http://home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/tales.htm#The tale of the two gfx brothers

I don't know if you can output Direct3D/OpenGL to both monitors at once. But multiple monitor/multiple graphics card support has been around since Win98, PCI-PCI or AGP-PCI (but no AGP1-AGP2). The ideal sort of thing for testing wrappers or PSX GPU plugins (see above).

As I said, there IS no motherboard with multiple AGP slots. Yet. But the idea is out there...
http://www.sysopt.com/articles/samurai/index2.html

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 14, by imikeyi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I've heard Parhelia is very slow; its also expensive ( 😉 ) so unlikely for me.

PCI/AGP combinations have been around for a while; like Stiletto says I don't know whether they support rendering Direct3D/OpenGL at the same time; but that is unneccessary to me anyway because I need to monitors mainly to increase my desktop space, which I use for development work.

I would like a dual head card, maybe a dual ATI 9700?? HAha I wish (do they even exist?). I'll most likely get a Matrox 32mb.

microkernel advance
static recompilation

Reply 7 of 14, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't.. I can't even set TV-out and CRT display simultaniously (did I spell that correctly?) with the original drivers. (XP thing)

I'm not that sure though.. never really tried it..

I also can't use both the digital and the analogue vga outpot together. Atleast with 40.72 drivers that is

Last edited by Kyl3 on 2002-11-16, 22:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd, try Nvidia's 40.x series. I've heard that they enable simultaneous usage of both CRT and TV.

It works great on my Radeon 9700...but only if I use the analog output on my vid card and the TV. It doesn't seem to like DVI & TV. 🙁 (It's been awhile since I tried, first revision of 9700 drivers in fact so mabye they have fixed this)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 14, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah now I get it. I need to use the Nview tool. I usually disable handy tools like that right away.

Seems to work fine, except I can't get my refresh rate higher then 60Hz on the crt. Probably nothing. Can't fiddle any longer now, my dad want's his display back.

It's on a Gforce 3

Reply 11 of 14, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my GeForce3 Ti500, I can only get TV out working with an application called TVTool... setting dual view on, I can see stuff on both my desktop and on my TV. Although, at lower resolutions, it looks horrible on the TV, and at higher resolutions, the monitor gets all messed up.
I usually use a resolution of 1024x768 which works fine, but when I try to use dual view, and that same resolution on the TV... it's hard to describe, heh.

Reply 13 of 14, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hehe - that's true 😀
i'm thinking someday, if i get bored enough, i'll hook my tv out into the input on my tv card... so i could see my computer displaying my computer displaying my computer displaying... it'd be so cool! i wonder if it'd crash, hehe 😀