VOGONS

First post, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody and thanks for all the info i've managed to scravenge off this site over the past couple of years... thing is, for this issue, i'm at a loss and have finally decided to make the leap and come and ask for some help.
So, whats the deal? I have a 99% stock IBM Aptiva 2168, running a Pentium 75Mhz, 8MB of ram and I've thrown in a PCI S3trio64+ graphics card for good use. A fresh install of MS-DOS 6.22 and set up my config.sys (dos=high, himem.sys, dos=umb,files=40 and Device=C:\Mouse.sys) the sound blaster was auto configured.. and thus I would like to say everything is ok.. here..
As for the autoexec.bat i've got setblaster=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 and LH c:\sb16\sb16set /P /Q....
I'm writting this down so as if the error is here perhaps somebody could point it out.... BECAUSE... well, because i've installed Duke3D VER.1.3D. I've run the sound setup and it has my card down as a sound blaster.. and if I test the music / sound it works. I've set the mouse up as a two button jump and fire. then I launch the game... It runs fine but as soon as I move the mouse, the game freezes... and the PC just hangs...

So, my question is... why?

hope my subject is in the correct place, and I hope somebody can help...Cheers!

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"

Reply 1 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

can you try with MOUSE.COM instead of mouse.sys? mouse.com gets loaded from autoexec
also when you get it working bMOUSE is great for duke3d: http://swisscm.duke4.net/ it will make mouse usage better

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 11, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so i just installed mouse.com to c:\, edited config.sys and REM, then autoexec.bat, LH c:\mouse.com and saved then rebooted... the mouse is found in POST ... but now when I launch Duke Nukem 3D... it crashes at the Loading screen... 🤣

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"

Reply 3 of 11, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the game locks up (or used to lock up) when you move the mouse, there's a chance that your system has an IRQ conflict. Or perhaps the mouse driver you're using is incompatible with the DOS/4GW extender used by the game.

To get started, check if the mouse works correctly in DOS programs like EDIT or QBASIC and report the results here.

Also, it might help if you can tell what kind of mouse you're using (COM or PS/2, manufacturer, etc.) and what mouse driver you're trying to use. I don't remember MS-DOS 6.22 shipping with a built-in mouse driver. And you can't just take any old DOS mouse driver and expect it to work with a mouse that it wasn't designed for. If your mouse driver can't handle your mouse correctly, then that might also be the reason why your system locks up.

Reply 4 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a shot in the dark but is this a PS/2 mouse? I believe those tend to use IRQ12 and can potentially conflict with any network cards that may use IRQ12. Does the machine have a network card? Any other add on cards besides VGA and sound ?

Crashing the moment an interrupt is generated is pointing towards a conflict IMO. Dig around in the bios for any IRQ options and run MSD (Microsoft Diagnostic) and see if you can find anything unusual. If you find nothing do as was said above and see if this crashing occurs in any other software using the mouse, or if it can just be narrowed down to Duke3d.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 11, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I have been trying to install a new sound card... going nuts with CTCM.... anyhow, got the CT3620 working but with a duff ram moduale... Why? 'cause I thought that it was the Sound Blaster Vibra giving me grief... but no! So, I have read your posts (Thank you) and to answer the questions:
I have / am using a standard PS/2 mouse (Microsoft 2.0A)... connected to the PS/2 port of the motherboard.
The mouse drivers work fine, as in, I have copied MOUSE.SYS to c:\ and into config.sys. Device=C:\mouse.sys...
I can use the mouse in c:\sb16\diagnose... 'cause I just did to test that damn 32PNP! and also in MSD.... 🤣
When I launch duke Nukem 3D... it states MOUSE PRESENT... so that must be good?
and finally, I am just stareing at MSD... IRQ 12... (reserved).... PS/2 style mouse.... handled by AGMS...
which brings me to the final question ... no, no NIC installed just the SB32awePNP and S3TRio64+ ..... onboard VGA disabled in bios... Voila c'est tout..!

so, now that i'm loking for IRQ conflicts... i'll look for a conflict....

Reply 6 of 11, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And because, I was interested, I just plugged in a Microsoft serial mouse 2.0a on COM1... booted...the mouse was found on com 1... worked in MSD... and believe it or believe it not... it too crashes the game as soon as I move the mouse...just wanted to share that with you... and while i'm doing that, i'll also point out (no pun) that I use the same mouse drivers and the same mouse on a 486DX2 66 set up running MS-DOS 6.22, and it works very well with Duke... so i guess its down to the IBM hardware / software...

Reply 7 of 11, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whilst I've been trying out a few things, i'd just like to say that the mouse does not work in Syndicate nor DOOM.... and i'm also not getting any music in DOOM... so I am at a total loss now... i'll see if I can find another mouse driver of the web...

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the future, ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride and hey presto the mouse works...! I wish to thank everyone who posted and with all the elements, I have now got a working mouse... How did I solve the problem? we'll I (as in ME) didn't but here is the break down and at the end the name of the winner.

So, I messed around trying to un-bind IRQ 12 in the bios... yep, it says you can, so I did.... but when DOS had booted and I checked MSD... The damn mouse was still assigned to IRQ 12.

Then I spent a few hours reading different websites about the IBM PS/2 mouse controller... and fell asleep....

Had another shot removing the mouse and re-installing the driver from the Original mouse driver disk from Microsoft... well, the Dsetup.ini file got lost between the floppy and the floppy drive... so that didn't work...

Then, and this is the best part, I put back the original drivers I had installed, and followed... the advice about checking the game with out sound... The game still crashed but this time Duke was just spinning around on himself...so, hmmm.... kind of like onto something here... but still had to hard reset...

Ok, so I know that IBM used Logitech mice as OEM stuff.... so, I swapped the MicroSoft mouse over for a Logitec one.... and the game still crashed...but Duke was happy just standing there rubbing his hands....

Ok, get on with it, what did you do?

Well, I did a edit c:\mouse.sys and felt that the gibberish could be the reason for the problem... saying that I could make out the / options.. like /B... so, I treid that...and nope no bus mouse found...

Finally, I had another look in my FDD box and found a copy of MOUSE.SYS and MOUSE.COM drivers... I felt this was just a back-up and thought what the heck... I xcopyied over the file and rebooted... and it rebooted as MICROSOFT MOUSE DRIVER 6.10.... (very important !!!)

relaunched Duke without sound and held my breath when I touched the mouse... and Duke moved ... and then moved some more... he moved left, he moved right....

Right, so that seems to have solved the problem.. back to sound set up and sound card choice.... OK

Game relaunch and Duke is now racing around on all two legs being controlled by a logitech mouse with microsoft mouse drivers.... Oh the Irony!!!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP and sorry for posting in the wrong place... I was sure this stuff was modern... 😊 😎

Last edited by Mismatch2 on 2018-11-27, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ great you got it solved!
do try bmouse I posted about, really works wonders with build games.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website