User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
szivan_ wrote:
Dear Forum Members! […]
Show full quote

Dear Forum Members!

I have an old Digital HiNote CT450 (486 DX2 66, 8 MB RAM etc.) laptop, but it hasn't got any integrated sound card. For a few weeks ago I bought a WaMi Box PCMCIA card with all of accessories, but it has only sound (via DirectSound) in the installed Win95. Winamp, system sounds working, but the card doesn't appear as a "normal" sound card (as a generic wave device) - maybe it's a professional audio device. Has anybody use it with success for old DOS games and if yes, which was the right configuration (ie. SET BLASTER settings...)?

Thanks for any reply!

(p.s. for some posts ago, somebody wrote that it works in Windows XP with Doom, Duke Nukem, Descent...)

Did you runthe WaMi Box Mixer after the install and before trying a DOS game?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 121 of 567, by szivan_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The card's "memory" was emtpy, so I tried to upload soundbanks - now I got MIDI music... 😀 But still no sound fx... In the mixer everything seems to be good, do I need to specify the BLASTER environment (irq, dma, type...)?

Reply 122 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I retried mine in Windows 98, I can't get fx sound in DOS games either despite what the manual claims, but it definitely works fine with DOS games under Windows XP.
Also the minimum recommended specs in the manual are way above those of your computer, so it's not ideal.
Which version of the drivers are you using?

Reply 123 of 567, by szivan_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

I retried mine in Windows 98, I can't get fx sound in DOS games either despite what the manual claims, but it definitely works fine with DOS games under Windows XP.
Also the minimum recommended specs in the manual are way above those of your computer, so it's not ideal.

Now the 2.0 driver is installed, but as I remember, I tried all available versions... It's interesting, because ie. Doom, Heretic, Warcraft detect the music card (MIDI) part, but the sound fx part cannot be found. Now I'm trying to SET BLASTER as the card's resources shown in win95 > control panel > system > computer > properties ... (but because it's a PCMCIA card, it has't got the DMA part... 🙁 )

Reply 124 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote:

I've just browsed through the whole paper manual. The WAMI-Box hos no DOS support. I'm not sure why the first page of this thread lists it as having Sound Blaster/Pro/WSS support. The manual has no mention of it at all.

The ONLY reason you are getting DOS sound under XP with it is because XP has a built in Sound Blaster emulator.

If you want DOS sound through the WAMI Box in Windows 9x, you can try the port of VDMsound for Windows 9x.. but it is going to have issues with a slow CPU.
Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

EDIT: I've also looked through the .inf files for all the driver versions. There is absolutely nothing in there to do with any type of legacy audio at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 125 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I've just browsed through the whole paper manual. The WAMI-Box hos no DOS support. I'm not sure why the first page of this thread lists it as having Sound Blaster/Pro/WSS support. The manual has no mention of it at all.

It's a direct quote from the manual on the first page of the thread.
Page 11:

wami manual.gif
Filename
wami manual.gif
File size
28.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And page 19:

wami manual2.gif
Filename
wami manual2.gif
File size
14.8 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 126 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote:
It's a direct quote from the manual on the first page of the thread. Page 11: […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

It's a direct quote from the manual on the first page of the thread.
Page 11:

wami manual.gif

And page 19:

wami manual2.gif

Ah, ok. I was reading through the original paper manual that came with mine. It is completely different then the downloadable one. My paper manual only has 20 pages not including the index.

I wonder if there are different versions of the PCMCIA card and/or the box itself. Or maybe the DOS sound support in Win9x really just doesn't work. I'll have to test on my end when I get a chance.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 127 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's interesting to know, the paper manual I got with the card is the same as the .pdf from the website, 2nd edition from October 2000.
When is yours from?

Reply 128 of 567, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote:

That's interesting to know, the paper manual I got with the card is the same as the .pdf from the website, 2nd edition from October 2000.
When is yours from?

Mine doesn't have a date in it. It also only mentions Windows 95/98, not 98SE.

The hardware requirements are not the same either.

v 2.0:
Pentium II 233Mhz
20MB HDD free space

Mine:
Pentium MMX 166Mhz
32MB or above System Memory
30MB HDD free space

Guess I should scan the manual and upload it.

Unfortunately I don't have the original installation media.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 129 of 567, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the subject of PCMCIA sound cards, I picked this up today: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PCMCIA-Audio- … rd/292965754016

Does anyone know anything about it and where I might find the driver? Is it the same as the IBM 3D sound?

Reply 130 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikeyp wrote:

On the subject of PCMCIA sound cards, I picked this up today: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PCMCIA-Audio- … rd/292965754016

Does anyone know anything about it and where I might find the driver? Is it the same as the IBM 3D sound?

No it's not the IBM 3D Sound card, it's a clone of the IBM Audio Adapter, like the Digital card shown at PCMCIA Sound Cards

Here are the drivers for DOS/Win3.x, OS/2 and Win95:

Filename
ibm pcmcia audio drivers.rar
File size
2.62 MiB
Downloads
96 downloads
File license

Reply 132 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post here. Yet I've been reading many topics occasionally as I take some interest in old Thinkpads.
I'd like to share some info about 2 sound cards I've recently obtained. As far as I undersatnd it's actually the same card and they are in turn are the analogue of IBM 16-Bit Audio Adapter.
Here are the drivers that I'm going to check with the cards.
audio161.exe
audio162.exe
audio163.exe
audio16.txt
and here are some pics
IMG-0917.jpg IMG-0918.jpg IMG-0919.jpg IMG-0920.jpg

PS
As I don't have the ability to PM yet, I'll put a small note here.
These are not analogues of IBM 3D Sound Adapter but of it's predecessor - 16 bit Audio Adapter. And the cards are not for sale, sorry.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 133 of 567, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. Same IBM cards with different labels.
https://fccid.io/ANOPC-48S16-01
Here is photo of the original IBM box: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172289489894?ViewI … em=172289489894
listed as 87G9748 | IBM PCMCIA 16-BIT AUDIO ADAPTER / SOUND CARD 87G955
Card need 486 for Wavetable MIDI Is it software wavetable or mWave chip?

08H3906 is DEC (Digital). But who produced card EXP-AA1000? Is name Audio Ziper?

Reply 134 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EXP-AA1000 has Eiger (Eiger Labs) logo on it.
I ended up using drivers from this topic Re: D I G I T A L PCMCIA sound card and both cards work with them. Win 95 detects both cards as IBM NON DSP AUDIO CARD (or something like this).
These are not mWave cards. In DOS they work only with wav\midi playback software that comes on the drivers diskettes (and this programm has IBM logo) I.e. no SB support. In Wiindows it's just windows sound system compatible.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 135 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a nice find!
EXP was an OEM company, its website is no longer active, the archived version works https://web.archive.org/web/20160822061907/ht … et.com/know.nsf

I can't find any mention of that card on the EigerLabs website: http://web.archive.org/web/19990220134402/htt … es/products.htm

Reply 136 of 567, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like this card was produced (or sold?) by all and sundry. Someone mentioned in this topic that got this card with Dell label on it 😀

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 138 of 567, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

No it's not the IBM 3D Sound card, it's a clone of the IBM Audio Adapter, like the Digital card shown at PCMCIA Sound Cards

Here are the drivers for DOS/Win3.x, OS/2 and Win95:

The attachment ibm pcmcia audio drivers.rar is no longer available

Thank you. That does indeed look to be the correct driver. cyclone3d also found the actual DELL drivers and posted links in my thread here: Re: PCMCIA in Windows 3.1 Honestly is was that long ago I first asked, I forgot I'd asked in this thread but it took me that long to get this machine up and running.

Bondi wrote:

Looks like this card was produced (or sold?) by all and sundry. Someone mentioned in this topic that got this card with Dell label on it 😀

I did indeed get it Dell branded.

IMG_1788.jpg
Filename
IMG_1788.jpg
File size
107.63 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1790.jpg
Filename
IMG_1790.jpg
File size
106.22 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 139 of 567, by hageir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, love this old, on-going thread, read the whole thing.
I have a TDK MusicCard DMC-9000 with everything (original box and all) but it's in Japanese.

I've managed to use Seer Systems Reality, SYEdit and an Oberheim Matrix-6 Editor on Windows 95 using this PCMCIA Card (MIDI IN & OUT)
on a Toshiba 480CDT.
Now I've been thinking about Roger Powell's Texture (MS-DOS MIDI Sequencer -comes in C1, MPU-401 and non-MPU flavors)
and I'm wondering; is there no chance in hell that this TDK Card can act as an MPU-401 or an MS-DOS MIDI Interface?