VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the 256 colour floppy version of Monkey Island 1 and need some help to get the music to work in dos, I have tried to use the "Monkey R" for roland sound and the "Monkey G" for game blaster sound but both dont work. Im using an ISA sound blaster AWE 64 value that has an SC55 connected and in my autoexec.bat file im using:

Set Midi to midi=2 for my SC55
A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 and E620

I have sound working for all my other games just not this one, I also have the CD version of MI1 and sound and music works its just Ide like to play the floppy version for the stump joke and sound blaster music or if possible to use my SC55. Does this game only support scummvm for music in windows and not dos?

Reply 1 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Experiment with slowdown utilities. The original version of Monkey Island 1 has known issues with music when the PC is too fast.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks dr_st my throttle slow down program worked but does the floppy version have any sound effects like when the doors are opened and closed or when the seagull outside the cooks kitchen is nudged with the plank? I ask because the CD version has them but maybe the floppy version wasn't made with them.

Reply 3 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know the game enough to answer your questions, but I can try to test it later, unless someone with more experience answers before I get a chance to. 😀

Try maybe checking the discussions on DOS Game Club, who played this game recently:
https://www.dosgameclub.com/forums/forum/prev … -monkey-island/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 6, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Monkey Island 1 will natively only support sound effects if played with the Sound Blaster setting (Maybe adlib, I'm not sure). There is a patch on VOGONS that does allow you to hear sound effects through the Sound Blaster when the Roland option is selected. I'm not sure which versions it supports.

NOTE: I went to find the link, but the patches were taken down today, coincidentally.

Did you have a Game Blaster, Sound Blaster 1, or Sound Blaster 1.5, or 2.0 with CMS Chips installed when you tried "monkey g"? If not, it will not work.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 5 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you're right about needing a CMS chip on a sound card fitzpatr as I bet my AWE 64 vale card does not have one from being unable to get the "g" switch to work with it but I am now looking for the patch you said about to see if it can play effects as well as music.

Reply 6 of 6, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm quite positive that you need those particular cards in order to get Game Blaster (Creative Music System) functional. Anything Sound Blaster Pro and beyond is not compatible.

[url]Monkey Island 1&2: Roland MT-32 + Sound Blaster support[\url] That is the thread. As mentioned, the patches were removed today, but I am not sure why.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build