Topic actions

Reply 26300 of 52540, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

[...]

Just noticed that one of the cases is just like the one I found recently - contained a UMC PCI/VLB motherboard with an AMD DX100. Shame it doesn't have an LED display for the Turbo speed.

Are you sure it doesn't? Can't look right now as there is a pile of other systems on top of this one (FWP 😜 ) but I have the distinct feeling there's one behind that black panel above turbo & reset.

spiroyster wrote:

[...]

This has to be the single most interesting bit of hardware I think I have seen on here. Perspex case is one thing... windows (no punn intended) on the components themselves are another entirely! Congrats.

Apparently this was used as an eye-catcher at computer fairs. It's entirely possible I might even have seen it in action, as there are some materials dating to 1998 which was around when I started to become a regular, and I certainly remember similar things. That date would also explain the very low prices on labels attached to some of the systems, the equivalent of EUR 20 for a 386DX40. Any earlier and it would have been worth more, any later and no one would be interested at any price - which I suppose is how these things ended up in that attic.

That 5150 clone case... does it have a recess for a badge? All those style cases I have seen all have the same sized recess for the badge, which does not fit the I----B----M badge on there. I've not seen the IBM logo strecthed like that, but given the 'perspex' item this guy had, maybe it is some form of prototype itself? who knows.

It has a recess for a badge - exactly the size of the "I B M" logo, so much wider than regular IBM badges.

Are those PS/2's MCA?

The Model 55 SX is MCA, the Model 30 286 is ISA.

Talking of that stuff, here's the software/documentation:
full.png

Nothing too spectacular. Sealed MSDOS 5, MSDOS 6 Upgrade & Central Point Backup 7. system manuals for Philips PC and Vendex Headstart systems, Targed-branded DR-DOS 6 manual + install media, a nice Spinrite 2.0 manual + media set, and various manuals & driver disks. If I have time I'll see if there's anything urgently needing uploading.

Last edited by dionb on 2018-12-03, 00:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26301 of 52540, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Are you sure it doesn't? Can't look right now as there is a pile of other systems on top of this one (FWP 😜 ) but I have the distinct feeling there's one behind that black panel above turbo & reset.

I havent got anything inside it yet so I cannot show it on, but there are LED lights behind the dark panel which should light up the words "high speed" and "low speed". No number panel sadly, however that should make things 700% more easy after a CPU change 🤣

P_20181202_214229.jpg
Filename
P_20181202_214229.jpg
File size
596.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26302 of 52540, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bit on this a couple days ago but waited to post until I had shipping confirmation due to the flakey sellers I have dealt with as of late. No idea of the actual internals. Anybody want to take a guess?

Listing said 133Mhz CPU and 8 ISA slots. So if that is true, it either has to be an AMD 5x86 or Cyrix 5x86.

Seller''s pics

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
272.03 KiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
289.37 KiB
Views
File license

Also received this yesterday - seller's pic

breakout.jpg
Filename
breakout.jpg
File size
198.49 KiB
Views
File license

To go along with this, which is still on it's way - seller's pic

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
192.21 KiB
Views
File license

It is the 16-bit card which has MPU-401 compatibility but since it is pretty rare there isn't much actual testing data available to see exactly how well the intelligent mode works.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26303 of 52540, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have trouble using it with KQ4, but I want to test it with a S7 motherboard in case ACPI is causing issues.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26304 of 52540, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that MOTU was a serious card to really do serious work but it has so much going on it will conflict with games that expect "simpler" things... I am interested to hear how it behaves though!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26306 of 52540, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

YMF724 with spdif and sblink. Only one I have come across!

Attachments

• DSC_0017-4128x2322.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0017-4128x2322.JPG
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 26307 of 52540, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Bit on this a couple days ago but waited to post until I had shipping confirmation due to the flakey sellers I have dealt with a […]
Show full quote

Bit on this a couple days ago but waited to post until I had shipping confirmation due to the flakey sellers I have dealt with as of late. No idea of the actual internals. Anybody want to take a guess?

Listing said 133Mhz CPU and 8 ISA slots. So if that is true, it either has to be an AMD 5x86 or Cyrix 5x86.

Seller''s pics

front.jpg
back.jpg

My guess is that this is some Pentium box - P133 probably.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 26308 of 52540, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Bit on this a couple days ago but waited to post until I had shipping confirmation due to the flakey sellers I have dealt with a […]
Show full quote

Seller''s pics

front.jpg
back.jpg

My guess is that this is some Pentium box - P133 probably.

Could be, but then it wouldn't have 8 ISA slots.

Once I receive it, I'll see what's in it and then post back here.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26309 of 52540, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seller might not know the difference between slots. I once bought a PC in a similar case. Seller told it's 486. I opened the case and there was an AT mobo with Pentium II inside 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 26310 of 52540, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

Seller might not know the difference between slots. I once bought a PC in a similar case. Seller told it's 486. I opened the case and there was an AT mobo with Pentium II inside 🤣

True, it could be something different entirely, but the same seller had/has a bunch of other old computers and also lists the slots in them, such as AGP, PCI, and ISA... so I tend to think they know what the different slots look like.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26311 of 52540, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's a Cyrix 586 133mhz, just to make you happy 😎 🤣

Really would be nice.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 26312 of 52540, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Really would be nice.

HAHA.. in my dreams! If it is, I just might have a heart attack.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26313 of 52540, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
meljor wrote:

Really would be nice.

HAHA.. in my dreams! If it is, I just might have a heart attack.

Maybe just a NexGen Nx586-P133 with NxVL board 🤣

Reply 26314 of 52540, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^I'm leaning towards some sort of upgrade chip (Evergreen, TurboChip, or something; I guess those are still AMD/Cyrix 5x86 chips at heart, though). 133MHz Socket 3 chips are usually paired with PCI-supporting MBs; 8 ISA slots + 133MHz comes off to me like something was upgraded. Then again, the seller might just be confused.

Also going to put a wild guess here and posit that the sound card is some model of SB16.

EDIT: I noticed that the VGA port is "upside down", suggesting a PCI video card. Now I'm leaning toward it being just a bog-standard Pentium.

Last edited by SW-SSG on 2018-12-04, 01:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26315 of 52540, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this Slot 1 machine for 20 bucks. The seller assured me there is a 1GHz Pentium 3 inside, but all I found was a 500 MHz. Anyways, there is a lot about this rig that made me excited:

1) The case

A8cut6bm.jpg

I generally prefer desktop cases, but I really liked this tower. Sort of a PowerMac rip-off, but clearly period-correct, non-generic (unlike the InWin cases I use), pretty well-made, and to me this Energy sticker is awesome. I did, however, had to spend good 10 minutes before I figured out the way to open it — it simply didn't have any visible screws. Turned out, you have to remove the front cover to reveal the screws. Weird, but okay:

ZeTgAcPm.jpg

2) The motherboard

Ge6EyNHm.jpg

There is another issue with this case: it has a wide and short layout (sort of like InWin A500), so the PSU hovers around the whole CPU area of the motherboard. So I had to remove the PSU to make this shot. A removable motherboard tray would be really useful here.

It's a Supermicro P6SBA. I really like Supermicro stuff — gives you a bit of a "workstation" feel (they mostly make server hardware even though this particular board doesn’t have any high-end features). But also because it uses the awesome and ridiculous AMI WinBIOS. I think they are one of the few companies that sticked to it past the 486 times:

fSrqgNCm.jpg

3) The videocard

9OI12iwm.jpg?1

It's a 3DLabs Permedia 2. As far as I understand, this was 3Dlabs' attempt to make their workstation cards more gamer-friendly. Doesn't look too serious (not a full-length card with weird design), but still nice. Also, one of the first somewhat rare videocards in my collection.

It does, however, fail to display WinBIOS menu for some reason, so I had to swap with Riva TNT2 for the time being:

AI4sJ6dm.jpg

4) The extras

FQ9xBQjm.jpg

Now this is where things get truly awesome for me. You can see there is an AT faceplate for ATX cases, an early ATX faceplate (both fairly rare) and port stickers for everything.

Also notice the CD-ROM faceplate. Unfortunately, I don't have the original CD-ROM, so I'll have to find something that aligns with the cutouts from this faceplate. I also think I'll have to attempt retrobrite on this case.

All in all, it sucks that I didn't get a 1GHz Slot 1. However, I did get a pretty awesome early 440BX motherboard with 3 ISA slots. I'm thinking this gives me an excuse to make a roughly 1998 build that will show the transition from DOS to Windows. It will have both Voodoo 2 SLI and a nice selection of DOS sound stuff like a SoundBlaster 16 with true OPL3, a Roland SC-55 and maybe even my Yamaha SW60XG.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 26316 of 52540, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

You can see there is an AT faceplate for ATX cases, an early ATX faceplate (both fairly rare) and port stickers for everything.

Actually...

backplates.jpg
Filename
backplates.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license

Part of that Pentium Pro haul.

Reply 26317 of 52540, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are those early ATX backplates on sale anywhere? Need one for my K6 🙁

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-12-04, 04:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26318 of 52540, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could really use a few of the AT keyboard faceplates .. Making my own from blanks after waiting 6 weeks for shipping from china is a right pain. But I may end up having to do that!

Reply 26319 of 52540, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are blank ones. I sure as heck wish I can find one for an ATX case for a sleeper build for either a 486 or Pentium MMX builds.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser