VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by careyclanton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I am having trouble getting some older Windows games to function. Some of them even previously worked on this same system, until I sent the system in to the manufacturer for repairs (or some time around then).

When I attempt to launch them, the resolution switches, the screen then goes black, about 3 to 5 seconds pass, and then it crashes to the desktop without an error message. However, SimCity 4 does create an exception report of which I'll post the first section:

Exception time: 12/01/2018, at 23:36:36.
Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
Current thread ID: 3336 (0x00000d08).
Version information:
Application/module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps\SimCity 4.exe
Application/module version name: SimCity 4
Application/module version: 1.1.610.0
System version: Windows NT 6.2
System memory: 2048 Megabytes total, 2048 Megabytes free.

Exception module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igdumdim32.dll.
Exception address: 0x09a6872c. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x000a772c.

I am asking here because previously DOSBox exhibited the same behavior for me until I switched the output to opengl (or openglnb). These are the only output options that don't cause the crash and they both work great.

So my question to the experts here: does this immediately suggest any particular problem to you? I appreciate your consideration and response.

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ovvldc wrote:

Why are you asking in a DOSBox forum about a game that you are running on Windows XP or later? On a 64bit system no less?

I think he gave a good explanation

I am asking here because previously DOSBox exhibited the same behavior for me until I switched the output to opengl (or openglnb). These are the only output options that don't cause the crash and they both work great.

@carey: sounds like graphics drivers

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe missing directx9 or some corruption in your graphics drivers. (igdumdim32 seems to indicate you have some sort of intel card)
I suggest updating your graphics card drivers. (by going to the intel website)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 10, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the PC use intel graphics on Windows 7 8 or 10? The the drivers have had issues with dx7 and 8 games for a few years, for me only 2/3 of the screen will show
This includes DOSBox which defaults to "surface" rendering which I assume is some kind of DX rendering.

The Intel problem doesn't seem to affect dx6 and 9, glide wrappers and opengl. I assume dx10 also... I haven't hadn't any issues with DOSBox with it in opengl mode

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 6 of 10, by careyclanton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ovvldc wrote:

Why are you asking in a DOSBox forum about a game that you are running on Windows XP or later? On a 64bit system no less?

I was hoping some expert here might be able to tell me why I have a bunch of games that crash just like DOSBox does for me, except when output=opengl or openglnb. It could be useful for DOSBox developers also, maybe?

Dominus wrote:

@carey: sounds like graphics drivers

I do have the latest drivers. I have downloaded a legacy driver from Nvidia, where they have all of the drivers from this year. (The games worked earlier this year, at least some did for sure anyway). I haven't had the chance to try it out, though I'm not optimistic, considering they crash with the intel processor also. Mostly I haven't tried because I'm away travelling most of the time and I don't want to muck up the rig while on a long stretch. I'll run major updates at a better opportunity for me, in case something goes wrong.

Almoststew1990 wrote:

Does the PC use intel graphics on Windows 7 8 or 10? The the drivers have had issues with dx7 and 8 games for a few years, for me only 2/3 of the screen will show
This includes DOSBox which defaults to "surface" rendering which I assume is some kind of DX rendering.

The Intel problem doesn't seem to affect dx6 and 9, glide wrappers and opengl. I assume dx10 also... I haven't hadn't any issues with DOSBox with it in opengl mode

Its Windows 10. The Nvidia control panel is set to let Nvidia pick the preferred processor for each program. I've tried manually setting it to each processor with the same result. Its mostly 2d games from XP and before, although SimCity 3000 starts but doesnt display correctly. I think these games used DirectDraw and maybe it has been broken or removed?

Qbix wrote:

maybe missing directx9 or some corruption in your graphics drivers. (igdumdim32 seems to indicate you have some sort of intel card)
I suggest updating your graphics card drivers. (by going to the intel website)

realnc wrote:

Download dxwebsetup from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Run it and then try again. Hopefully this was the problem.

All up to date and nothing works for these games. So maybe wait for a Windows emulator for Windows? Is something like that ever likely? Hopefully the OpenGL support doesn't also break on DOSBox or I'll be stuck hunting down old hardware. Its cool when the game rights holders themselves update their stuff to stay running, sometimes even adding cool features (though I think maybe they should allow people to shut any new features off, but I realize money, time, and interest put restraints on what they are willing to do). Id love to have a Windows emulator for Windows for this fantastic art.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely report back if I figure anything out.

Reply 7 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really think something is broken with your system. I haven't been able to replicate this issue. If you have a spare HD I'd stick it in your system and install a clean Windows 10 1803 (with no updates) and no other driver except the latest Intel and Nvidia video drivers from their respective sites (not from the laptop website) and try your games. If everything works then you know your other install is broken.

If you can't or will not do the above then for the Windows games try dgvoodoo2 which can emulate <=D3D8. For games that don't work with dgvoodoo2 post in the dgvoodoo forum.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 10, by careyclanton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I really think something is broken with your system. I haven't been able to replicate this issue. If you have a spare HD I'd stick it in your system and install a clean Windows 10 1803 (with no updates) and no other driver except the latest Intel and Nvidia video drivers from their respective sites (not from the laptop website) and try your games. If everything works then you know your other install is broken.

If you can't or will not do the above then for the Windows games try dgvoodoo2 which can emulate <=D3D8. For games that don't work with dgvoodoo2 post in the dgvoodoo forum.

I think you are probably right. I know that several of these games worked fine on this system earlier this year, but I can't pinpoint what change was made to cause it. I'm definitely going to try out the dgvoodoo2 first chance I get. I think that looks awesome. Thank you very much. As for a clean Windows install, that will be a last resort, but I am actually willing. I'll have to figure out exactly how first and I won't be doing that for months at any rate, but when I get this figured out I'll check back in and let you all know. Thanks very much in the meantime and if anyone thinks of anything else, I'd much appreciate to hear about it.

Reply 9 of 10, by careyclanton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

OK, i just got to try out dgvoodoo2 and the first game started up and ran perfectly. The second has started up but itsn't displaying correctly yet, but I'm optimistic now. Thank you very much!

Reply 10 of 10, by careyclanton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I remembered I had a very inexpensive RCA Cambria 2in1 that I had picked up from Walmart gathering dust that I had originally picked up as a backup accounting machine while my main system was in for repairs, and thought I would get it down and try out Indy and the Infernal Mahine on it. After freezing on a black screen upon launch the first try, I rebooted, changed the display resolution in the launcher to more closely match the optimal resolution for this display according to the notification (800x1280 so I set to 1024x768 and used default settings otherwise) and whaddya know, it started up and ran beautifully! Just wow! I suspect many of the other games that weren't working on my main rig, will work on this one now which is a good enough solution for me. I needed a use for this thing anyway now.

dgVoodoo2 ended up not helping any of the other games on the main system, only Locomotion, but it ran that great and looked promising so I sent a few bucks his way and sent another few to DOSbox, although I want to send more to them as it has long been worth it. I will but Jimmy Wales keeps harping and who all else you know. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try a fresh windows install on the main system anyway at some point to see if that helps.

Keep up the good work!