VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to install Windows 98 as a second partition, but the Windows 98 installer CD cannot detect a CD-ROM drive, as my machine is a SATA DVD-ROM drive. How to make Windows 98 setup bootable in current machine?

Reply 1 of 7, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes you can select some of the SATA ports to be in IDE mode from the BIOS - another way would be to copy the CD to hard disk, pretty sure you can install 98 that way.

To make a Microsoft style dual boot, the 98 has to be on before the NT-class OS, if the 98 is being added later, then you have to use a boot manager

Reply 2 of 7, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably easier just to install Windows 98 in VM as I seriously doubt you will find SATA drivers (or drivers for any of the other hardware in the machine for that matter by the sound of it (just guessing)) for it anywhere.

Reply 3 of 7, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Barring a VM, an actual Win98 machine is an option as well, though that's becoming more expensive by the month. May be more satisfying, if being put together for the feeling of playing period-appropriate games on period-appropriate hardware.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 4 of 7, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which boot manager is the best? I have problems boot up Windows 9x. It shows 0xc000000d error, of bootsect.dos. Is it because of my 2 GB RAM? I've followed this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVe3edgYyI

This is the current EasyBCD setting, actually it is Windows 95 files in the G drive:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows 9x
BCD ID: {ef0ea815-f981-11e8-be89-d1fafc025133}
Drive: G:\
Bootloader Path: bootsect.dos

Reply 5 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you somehow have a computer that has hardware fully compatible with both Windows 98 and Windows 7, then:

1. I think you can access the boot manager in msconfig, in Windows 7, if you install 7 first. I may be wrong about this.
2. Yes, you can copy the contents of the CD to the hard drive and install Win98 that way. But having the CD recognized by Win98 is probably better.
3. Another option is to have two separate hard drives and select the one you're booting from using the BIOS boot selection menu. This may work better because having two separate partitions, one primary and one secondary, can be a PITA sometimes, plus you get less storage space.

Keep in mind you won't be able to access the Win7 partition from Win98 due to it being NTFS. In the past I have had a whole separate FAT32 partition for file storage that all of my OS's can read.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 7, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get this error, when I select Windows 9x, at the boot manager:

Invalid System Disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

The error above was Windows 95, for Windows 98, the windows won't load at all, after the Windows 98 boot screen. My processor is 2.20 GHz, and 2 GB of RAM. Is there a program which can reduce CPU and RAM?

Reply 7 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't try to solve the wrong problem. Focus on getting Windows 9x to boot first, dealing with your partitioning issues, then work on CPU and RAM issues if they exist.

Also, Windows 7 will choke if you only have 2 GB of RAM. It needs at least 4 GB to be able to do anything useful. Heck, it uses close to a whole gigabyte just in system processes.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.